Ranger cloaks

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Ranger cloaks

Post by Rhaegar » 24 May 2010 11:07

cloked medium-sized figure
cloaked small-sized figure
Who the hell invented this atrocity? It's probably the worst description I have seen in a while. Couldn't it be changed to something that at least makes sense?
cloaked person
short cloaked person (in case of hobbits and dwarves)
Hell, if you think that's too short, there could even be some adjective added before or after 'cloaked', to turn it into 'silent cloaked' or whatever else.

Just please, would someone get rid of this terrible, terrible thing that hurts my eyes? (not the cloaks themselves, just the short description of a person wearing them)
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Makfly
Champion

Re: Ranger cloaks

Post by Makfly » 24 May 2010 11:25

It's ofcourse just part of the guild-cloak arms-race.
It started with just the MM & Rangers having the "Black-robed/Grey-cloaked" etc, then the Dragonarmies came around and got their "Blue/red-uniformed", then the Priesthood got their "Velvet-robed", and then the Valar got their "white-robed", and so the Rangers just 1-up'ed them all and got the "cloaked X-sized figure", hiding even more information.
Next up is the:
"You see [a cloak]." It'll be the ultimate guild-cloak/robe disguise, not giving away _any_ information about the person wearing it!

...But yea, it's fairly silly.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 24 May 2010 11:45

I'm not complaining about how much this cloak hides. I'm complaining about the way this hiding is presented to others.

Here's the first appearance of Strider in LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring, chapter 9: At the sign of the Prancing Pony.
... a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, ...
A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; ...
The original book (on which it all should be based afte all) doesn't mention anything like what we currently have on gen.
I'd like to make a proposal to revert the cloaks to 'hooded x-cloaked race' (notice no gender) that would hide the full description gotten by 'examine target' (ie. no equipment or other features could be discerned).

Edit: Right now, when I see Rangers in their new cloaks, the only thing that comes to my mind is a bundle of rags :(

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 24 May 2010 13:01

The worst part about the cloaks IMHO is it makes people into "its" even if you know who they are..
<name> puts 13 white-feathered arrows into its plain leather quiver (open).
<name> rummages through its plain leather quiver (open), taking a quick inventory to be sure it has everything needed for what lies ahead.

<name> is a medium-sized cloaked figure, presenting itself as:
<etc>, male elf.
It is wielding <etc>
I know "its" name, and I know "it" is male.. So why is it always an "it"? :roll:

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 24 May 2010 13:18

it's like ... 1-2 active treehuggers in the game and it's a problem now? :?
and if "IT" want's you to see "it's" face all the time, "it" can do it (if "it's" not another alt of somebody who can't play his/her Ranger char)

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 24 May 2010 13:23

Even when revealed, he/she is always referred to as "it".

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 24 May 2010 16:03

There was a trend for a while where most players tried to hide who they were.
Things got a bit silly, the ranger cloaks are the result of that.

One of the failures of game design in Genesis.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 24 May 2010 16:10

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Elita
Apprentice

Post by Elita » 24 May 2010 17:34

and for elita and laurel cloaks could be pink *poke*
Sure if you dye your Angmarim tabbard baby blue and adorn it with two cute fuzzy bears hugging each other :lol:

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 24 May 2010 19:07

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/