Tutorial Lion

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Tutorial Lion

Post by Drazson » 01 Mar 2016 00:14

In ntell, there was a person who adviced a new player to skip the mountain lion and not worry about what it is guarding cause there is no point. While I didnt like how he spoiled etc immersion etc exploration etc, I agreed wholeheartedly. There is really too much trouble to kill that thing and no real reward, something like a 5pt gem I think? Less? If someone really wishes to stay true to exploring the place the only thing he will get from that part is fury. Also, it doesnt really teach teaming cause realistically there wont be 2 newbies to become a team not mentioning whether they can find eachother (both practically and tenchnically).

I think the teaming lesson should exist. Something like an npc teaming with you and being big enough to take down the lion sounds unrealistic maybe? I can't imagine another solution given the playerbase and the fact that we want newbies to learn about teaming. Maybe tone down lion and drop the value of the gem in any case? As it stands it's not helping the tutorial anyway, I believe.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Re: Tutorial Lion

Post by Melarec » 01 Mar 2016 00:37

I think it's great. Yes, it is a bit difficult, but it can be done.
I made it my personal quest to slay that fiend and today I did.

I didn't even care about the gem. Sure, it's great; more wealth, woo hoo! But the real great thing was defeating the lion. I think that if someone wants to stick in it, then they won't be disappointed by the gem, only pleased that they killed the lion.

I don't know; maybe it's just me.

EDIT: Perhaps add to the sign that the reward is minimal? Meh. Who knows.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Mar 2016 04:48

It was intended to teach teaming, but I agree that is unlikely in the tutorial. As Melarec stated, it becomes sort of like a final boss you can challenge yourself to conquer before leaving the tutorial if you are the completionist type. I don't really feel like changing it. :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 01 Mar 2016 05:00

A single gem is not appropriate award for a challenge intended to use a team.
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 01 Mar 2016 05:07

Agreed! The real reward, as indicated above, is the sense of satisfaction and triumph that come from the foul beast lying in a bloody heap at your feet. Stop whining about payout! Enjoy the spiritual rewards of conquest.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Egwene
Beginner

Post by Egwene » 01 Mar 2016 05:18

I agree with everyone here hehe (what a rarity for the genesis forums i know!)

when i was a newbie, i was able to team with someone to try and kill the lion and i remember fumbling to figure out the syntax and almost getting my partner killed in the process - oopsies! :)

but it did introduce me to teaming and the benefits to it.

However, the lion seemed to be too hard for me and another team member to beat even with alcohol and full health so maybe the lion should be a little bit easier so that all the newbies can feel that sense of satisfaction? :)

its probably good that its an unsplittable and/or not big enough reward so that they get introduced to the genesis way of rewarding quests hehe

Titan

Post by Avatar » 01 Mar 2016 08:48

Sykil wrote:A single gem is not appropriate award for a challenge intended to use a team.
The greed is strong in this one.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 01 Mar 2016 09:34

Sykil wrote:A single gem is not appropriate award for a challenge intended to use a team.
The greed is strong in this one.
Just wait til he finds out the treasure on some of the bigger monsters in all of Genesis aren't going to allow the loot to be divided equally among everyone required to kill it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 01 Mar 2016 10:00

I´d agree with sykill, as we are talking a newbie area that is supposed to be very friendly towards new players.

Spawning a lesser gem pr player in the team? Or making it a deposit-style where you each can take one, when you get there.

Options 2 i see as easiest, i believe that the code is somewhere, i just cant remember where (the message you have already taken your fill springs to mind)

Titan

Post by Avatar » 01 Mar 2016 11:13

Alisa wrote:I´d agree with sykill, as we are talking a newbie area that is supposed to be very friendly towards new players.

Spawning a lesser gem pr player in the team? Or making it a deposit-style where you each can take one, when you get there.

Options 2 i see as easiest, i believe that the code is somewhere, i just cant remember where (the message you have already taken your fill springs to mind)
Rest of Genesis does not offer duplicate loot for teams that kill a foe, so why treat the newbie area differently?

The area is to prepare them for the world out there, beyond the newbie lands.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/