Seeing the word "Yikes!" in gameplay messages

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Read the explanation below, and then please vote:

The word "Yikes" bothers me. Please change it to something else.
31%
The word "Yikes" doesn't bother me.
69%

Total votes: 42

cotillion
Site Admin

Re: Seeing the word "Yikes!" in gameplay messages

Post by cotillion » 01 Mar 2016 18:58

gorboth wrote:Though the majority who have voted so far are clearly not bothered, the number of players who are is significant. Let's consider some changes.

What I was trying to do with "Yikes!" was create an attention-getter. There are ways to do this other than with a word that communicates emotion and human personality. For example, we could use a sound effect, or reaction to the impact:

Ooof!

Crunch!

Uff da! (okay, not this one)
etc ...
I think the functionality for the player is increased by an attention-getter. Suggestions?

G.
The possibilities are endless!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EEyQIAemn0

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 01 Mar 2016 19:07

So I guess the next step is changing the herbing code so when you find something it's no longer exciting. I guess when someone new to the game is called a novice and they object we are changing that as well. When someone get's poisoned you better remove those exclamation points as well.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 01 Mar 2016 19:10

So I guess the next step is changing the herbing code so when you find something it's no longer exciting. I guess when someone new to the game is called a novice and they object we are changing that as well. When someone get's poisoned you better remove those exclamation points as well.
Perhaps you can have a set of things like this where you can have the coded YIKES stuff and an option to set your own private message that overrides it. This would allow things like this to be overridden by a message that 'perfectly' fits your own immersion? For system type messages.

Prokop
Greenhorne

Post by Prokop » 01 Mar 2016 22:39

Leave the "personality" to the player. If something breaks, I will take care of the emote.

The armour however, can make it's own sound. snap, crunch, pop, etc.

trick
Apprentice

Post by trick » 01 Mar 2016 22:42

Prokop wrote:Leave the "personality" to the player. If something breaks, I will take care of the emote.

The armour however, can make it's own sound. snap, crunch, pop, etc.
This.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 02 Mar 2016 00:55

Sykil wrote:Gorboth you must really not want to lose to argue so much for how you want things.
You might want to go back and read the part where he said 'fine enough people don't like it so we should talk about a change.'

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 02 Mar 2016 00:58

And replace it with yet another subjective messages. Why you are so snarky?
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 02 Mar 2016 00:58

Snaaaaap!
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Mar 2016 01:17

Subjective message? No I indicated a non-subjective message that is still attention-getting. A sound effect or such is not subjective.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Mirandus
Site Admin

Post by Mirandus » 02 Mar 2016 01:23

I personally think it's kind of fun.

It adds some spice! Like the world of Genesis is alive and telling you that something crazy just happened. It's like when an armour breaks:

The ___ breaks!

The exclamation mark alone provides a bit of a "tone" created by the narrator of Genesis.

We tell players often how they "feel", what they "smell" and such. This is done in room descriptions and in entering areas. Maybe it's not the best approach but it provides a bit of flavour and indicates to you the tenor of the space. Want to make a cavern, have it tell the player you are entering a cold space...because it's underground. Enter the town of Minas Morgul, you feel a bit concerned, depending who you are.

But, if we want to remove "Yikes" and just have the rest of it, I'm not going to stand in the way. I do like the message though, I think it's fun.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/