Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by Cherek » 07 Mar 2016 02:33

I moved this question from Val to it's own thread:
Val wrote: 2. Script-buying from AH. Since the previous topic is closed, I bring the question here. There were several opinions and proposals from players, but no opinion from wizards. After last change in droprate, some imbues should appear on AH, so the issue becomes important. The question is - is it ok like it is now with scripts buying out in 0,5 second or is any change considered?
I provided my opinions on that in the other thread, and I do think it would be good if we could find a solution for script-buying that would not give everyone, and not the one with the quickest script/connection a chance to buy the best imbues at the auction. The two suggested solutions, if I remember right, was:

A - Have a delay when something is added, so you can't instantly buy it.
B - Make people go to Sparkle to buy it.

For A, I think this may not solve the problem, and people might find ways to adjust their scripts to still script-buy stuff. And if you do it too annoying to buy something in order fool the scripts it'll be a annoying to buy for non-scripters too.

For B, I think it does solve the problem, but I also think it sounds a bit inconvenient?

After giving it some thought, I'd like to suggest solution C. And if someone suggested this already, sorry!

C - Use the current system but introduce some type of captcha when making a bid, one that can't be scripted but still is simple for a human to solve.

Sykil
Adept

Re: Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by Sykil » 07 Mar 2016 04:29

B
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 07 Mar 2016 05:09

Cherek wrote:For A, I think this may not solve the problem, and people might find ways to adjust their scripts to still script-buy stuff. And if you do it too annoying to buy something in order fool the scripts it'll be a annoying to buy for non-scripters too.
Are we talking about the same problem?

It seems like the problem that was raised was that people with faster connections had an unfair advantage because their script would fire first. The way you're phrasing it here makes it sound like automation itself is the issue, which I don't really understand.

?

morgzaash
Adventurer

Post by morgzaash » 07 Mar 2016 10:15

D. Remove max-bid-out price in order everyone have at least 1 hour to bid ?

About adjusting scripts : I did some work on it and theres no way I could win with Morrs link.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Mar 2016 12:39

Mayobe wrote:
Cherek wrote:For A, I think this may not solve the problem, and people might find ways to adjust their scripts to still script-buy stuff. And if you do it too annoying to buy something in order fool the scripts it'll be a annoying to buy for non-scripters too.
Are we talking about the same problem?

It seems like the problem that was raised was that people with faster connections had an unfair advantage because their script would fire first. The way you're phrasing it here makes it sound like automation itself is the issue, which I don't really understand.

?
I though the problem was both that people with faster links had an unfair advantage over those who dont, but also that those with automated buying scripts had an advantage over those who don't know how to make such auto-buy scripts?

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 07 Mar 2016 14:09

D.
Easiest change probably and working.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 07 Mar 2016 14:13

Part of the value of a buyout price is to make the item more desirable, especially if doesn't save. If there are 6 days left, and the auction is 3 days, that leaves 3 days for an un-saving item to be use. The buyout lets you get it right away and let the seller get the price they want. I don't want to see it lose.

It is very inconvenient to make people go to auction to bid, but they have to go to pick up anyway right?

How about solution best of both world?

1) For item with no buyout, bid from anywhere
2) For item with buyout, bid from anywhere, buyout only from auction

example 2: item is 50 min, 100 max. You can bid 75 from anywhere. To bid 100 you must be in auction.

Code not bad: If bid # = max, check if player in house. Done.

Genesis Start Guide

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 07 Mar 2016 14:14

morgzaash wrote:D. Remove max-bid-out price in order everyone have at least 1 hour to bid ?

About adjusting scripts : I did some work on it and theres no way I could win with Morrs link.
Yup this would solve all the problems with scripting buyers and players with worse link

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 07 Mar 2016 14:15

I think maybe we should pool buyout bids over 2-3 minutes and draw a winner after that time.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 07 Mar 2016 14:16

Sykil wrote:Part of the value of a buyout price is to make the item more desirable, especially if doesn't save. If there are 6 days left, and the auction is 3 days, that leaves 3 days for an un-saving item to be use. The buyout lets you get it right away and let the seller get the price they want. I don't want to see it lose.

It is very inconvenient to make people go to auction to bid, but they have to go to pick up anyway right?

How about solution best of both world?

1) For item with no buyout, bid from anywhere
2) For item with buyout, bid from anywhere, buyout only from auction

example 2: item is 50 min, 100 max. You can bid 75 from anywhere. To bid 100 you must be in auction.

Code not bad: If bid # = max, check if player in house. Done.
Code not bad: If bid # = max, check if player in house. If not, reject. Done.

Super simple. Only impact is to buyout auctions.

Genesis Start Guide

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/