Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by Cherek » 10 Mar 2016 04:15

Sykil: I explained how I feel based on my experience. It seems like we have very different opinions about this and that neither will budge, so, I think I will leave it at that. I understand your points, I don't agree, but hey, nothing would be accomplished if everyone always agreed.:) There has been a lot of good ideas in this thread and a lot of arguments and concerns back and forth. Where we go from here of course also depends on if someone is willing to work on implementing any of these ideas.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 10 Mar 2016 04:26

1 line if statement. Done

Is fraction of work of elaborate captcha and timer and new system that who? is going to code. At least for interim. Only 5 min of you life is gone
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 10 Mar 2016 07:23

Sykil, you've made your point. Let's continue to explore the topic.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

britanica
Wizard

Post by britanica » 12 Mar 2016 03:48

Great topic with some great ideas.

To start with my view is that there is nothing wrong with scripts buying. I also agree there should be a way to for people with slower connections to have a chance. I am against the captcha as yes, converting ascii lines in a BCD format to a number using javascript is a very simple task.

I really like the D options previous mentioned as it is an easy code and propose a few additions:
  • Once the maximum bid is reached, the auction time would be reduced to 1 hour (if currently longer) and bidding can continue.
  • Rommik will learn how to appraise imbued items instead of treating a rose tint and security feeling as equals in value.
  • Any bids placed over the maximum bid is kept at the bid instead of being reduced to the maximum bid
  • The auction house takes a 10% cut of the bid up to the maximum bid and a 50% cut of the platinum over the maximum bid

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 12 Mar 2016 22:46

Nice mix of ideas. You've bought my yes :)

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 12 Mar 2016 23:54

britanica wrote:Great topic with some great ideas.

To start with my view is that there is nothing wrong with scripts buying. I also agree there should be a way to for people with slower connections to have a chance. I am against the captcha as yes, converting ascii lines in a BCD format to a number using javascript is a very simple task.

I really like the D options previous mentioned as it is an easy code and propose a few additions:
  • Once the maximum bid is reached, the auction time would be reduced to 1 hour (if currently longer) and bidding can continue.
  • Rommik will learn how to appraise imbued items instead of treating a rose tint and security feeling as equals in value.
  • Any bids placed over the maximum bid is kept at the bid instead of being reduced to the maximum bid
  • The auction house takes a 10% cut of the bid up to the maximum bid and a 50% cut of the platinum over the maximum bid
gooodie, but the last point is SICK, it is robbery daylight for seller.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 12 Mar 2016 23:58

but the seller didn't even expect plats over their max bid...
or he would have set a higher max bid to start with..
if anything.. they would see it as extra cash

I rather like it because it encourages sellers to try to set prices at realistic levels that they think people will actually pay .. and not try to undercut with a low max bid.. trying to create a bidding war.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Val
Apprentice

Post by Val » 13 Mar 2016 01:41

Britanica: looks like great solutions for me, just go for it and code it please :)

ps. Just MUST add it:
britanica wrote:yes, converting ascii lines in a BCD format to a number using javascript is a very simple task.
Respect. I feel really stupid ;)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 13 Mar 2016 03:32

I've been thinking of creating a much more robust captcha. This might be the needed excuse for me to do it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 13 Mar 2016 09:25

Could run several RNG sequences to determine not only the numbers/letters, but the form as well..
Perhaps: 5233

Code: Select all

___  '^^\  88888
|        /      88   _
|__    /__    888    _|
   |            88   _|
__/         88888
Make it a bit more tedious to code around..

Just a thought

EDIT: 100th Post! Woot!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/