The Butterfly Event

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Emraht

The Butterfly Event

Post by Emraht » 31 Mar 2016 00:54

Events are great. Wizards spend a lot of time and effort creating and running them, and I am very thankful.

That said, the butterfly event was not a good one. I will admit I enjoy competing for prizes, and the prizes on offer are very desirable. They're so desirable, I was willing to endure two weeks of non-strategic repetition. Personal imbued items and quest xp are awesome. It shouldn't be run again though. It was too boring. There was nothing fun about finally catching that one butterfly that took me (and I counted) 72 <catch butterfly with net>s. *shudder*

My guild and I get into events where we can apply positive strategies to our success and negative strategies to others' success. Coming up with tactics that have impacts both for you and against others is much more engaging. That's more fun than covering ground and typing one command over and over. It's also more fun to work as a team while also having individual goals.

I hope future events will be more like the last scavenger hunt that enabled the use of teams and strategies. I also want to thank the wizards who made the butterfly event possible. I just bashed it, but I still like and look forward to events. I know. It was an old, recycled event. We didn't know how it would play out. We did learn what wasn't fun about it at least.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: The Butterfly Event

Post by Cherek » 31 Mar 2016 03:16

Sorry to hear you did not like it. We've gotten positive feedback from players who did like it too, especially the social aspect of it. Over 5.000 butterfly trades were made, and lots of players who usually do not socialize much did, which was my main hope when running this event. Did you not like that aspect either, or did you not take part in it?

About this particular event, it was designed in 2005 and had never been re-run, and no wizards or players I talked to remembered much from the old event, so it was kind of a gamble since nobody really knew what to expect from it, but I wanted to run something else than the usual re-runs of scavenger, eggshard, turkeys and hams. In terms of players participating, this event had larger numbers than the previous two events (Scavenger and Christmas Hams), but that can of course be due to many different reasons.

I agree with you too though, many of the events we have are "run around and collect something"-type of events, and it would be fun with more strategic events too, but those I know of are also harder to run, and requires more wizard preparation and/or recoding, and we don't have an abundance of event-wizards these days. I picked butterflies because when testing it out, it appeared to have the potential of not only being about running around collecting, but also about trading and socializing, which was also what many did and enjoyed. All in all I am happy how it turned out, although I think perhaps it should have run for 1 week instead of 2, which several players have suggested as well. The 2005 version of the event actually run for 1 month(!)

It would be nice to hear from some "event veterans" which events you felt were the most fun ones historically. Which ones, except Scavenger, did you like best Emraht? I personally discovered events pretty late, and have only participated actively in Scavenger, Necro, Turkey/Ham and Eggshards. Which events in the past have been more strategic and fun according to you?

Designing completely new events would of course be awesome too, but unfortunately we haven't really had an active event team in some time. Gorboth is the last one to design an event a few years(?) ago, but currently we actually have one wizard who is actively working on a new event that looks really promising and also is a new concept. Maybe we'll see it before christmas!:)

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 31 Mar 2016 11:39

Cherek wrote: It would be nice to hear from some "event veterans" which events you felt were the most fun ones historically.
I never do personal events.
But I remember one I enjoyed, and that was the one with the tree in each guild.
Water it. Use worms. Better soil. etc etc

Some even went to other guilds to over water their tree, etc etc.

That event was fun.
It needed some work. Some guilds were hard to enter if one wanted to damage opponents tree.
Maybe that part was silly. Some did not like that part of the event.
It was fun to see a guild go together and work for a goal side by side.
Posts how to do things to work optimally.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 31 Mar 2016 15:37

Mim: Yes, the tree event is often mentioned by many as a really fun event. I did look into potentially re-running it awhile back, and Stern told me more in detail how it worked. It's a complex one, and would most likely need some serious recoding too, so that people simply can't use the exact same strategies form the previous event. And of course, we have some new guilds since then that would need to be included as well. I would love to see it in action though, maybe one day!

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 31 Mar 2016 21:15

btw - when we can expect our rewards? :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 31 Mar 2016 23:19

Kvator wrote:btw - when we can expect our rewards? :)
The rewards are on the AoE's table awaiting approval, so, hard to say. Perhaps bribing Stern with rubies will help. Or elf meat.

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 01 Apr 2016 11:50

Mim wrote:
Cherek wrote: It would be nice to hear from some "event veterans" which events you felt were the most fun ones historically.
I never do personal events.
But I remember one I enjoyed, and that was the one with the tree in each guild.
Water it. Use worms. Better soil. etc etc

Some even went to other guilds to over water their tree, etc etc.

That event was fun.
It needed some work. Some guilds were hard to enter if one wanted to damage opponents tree.
Maybe that part was silly. Some did not like that part of the event.
It was fun to see a guild go together and work for a goal side by side.
Posts how to do things to work optimally.
That sounds awesome.

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 01 Apr 2016 15:58

Events were always an interesting facet and a fun change. Like Emraht, I too enjoy the strategizing; I suppose such plays to enjoying a good chess match. I understand the desire to have interaction, and am equally pleased that it did achieve that goal. Those in the tower have grow accustomed to not depending on the interaction pieces of events, and that is not a complaint, it's just how it is. Excuse me mister nazgul, would you care to trade some of your pretty butterflies with me?

Samuel
Apprentice

Post by Samuel » 14 Apr 2016 20:11

My only two cents would be that I never, ever take part in the events. I'm usually not on enough to make it very far in them. That being said I did take part in the Butterfly event and found quite a few butterflies. I enjoyed it as it was simple (brain-power wise) and made it easy for those of us who aren't on all day every day to participate. I knew I wouldn't win but it gave me something to do that was a little out of the ordinary and at least I was in ninth place for the first day :D .

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 15 Apr 2016 16:41

One thing that might be fun to consider would be events once in a while that only last for 24 hours. They would need to be very well advertised far in advance so people who would want to compete in them could put it on their calendar. But in such events, people who can't dedicate one or two full weeks might still be able to have fun going nuts trying to win something that can be contained in a relatively brief timeframe.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/