What's the point - learning spell skills in Adventure Guilds

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mayobe
Adept

Re: What's the point - learning spell skills in Adventure Gu

Post by Mayobe » 01 Apr 2016 11:44

Stumble into pitch-dark room.

Can't figure out how to go back.

"Aha! I have a scroll for this!"

Turn on flashlight.

Read scroll.

Turn off flashlight.

(The funny part is that this is similar to how I manage my torches.)

Resnick
Beginner

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 04:12

Ok. Since we're suggesting stuff, even though I am fairly new, here are my thoughts.

1) Whatever you implement should be related to the skill level learned. So small skill levels lead to only weak instances of a spell. If you want the spell to be more powerful, join a magic guild.

2) Right now we learn all sort of skills (sword, axe, climb, swim, etc) so we can try them out. Then we find a guild that focuses on the skills we like, so we can max out those skills. I don't see any difference with spells (unless it affects the game thematically).

3) Imbuements were added to add depth to the game (I read that in a post). AG spells can do the same.

4) Time limit the spells so they only give a limited advantage. They could typically work for 1 - 3 events (e.g. 3 hits, or 2 rooms, or 1 minute or less).

5) Give AG spells a huge timeout. That way you have to use it strategically instead of regularly.

6) Definitely link it to mana. If not, whats the point of having mana if you do not join a magic guild?

7) I understand that the Genesis spell system requires a consumable (e.g. body parts or a gem) to work. Make this the same.

8) I don't think it should be limited to single use scrolls. In the books / stories Genesis is based on, magic skills & tricks were also learned and remembered and not only linked to books and scrolls. It should be the same in the game. Just limit its potency at the AG level.

9) Finally, do it for gameplay. Genesis' story is steeped in sword and sorcery. Part of the lure of the game is to learn a little magic and be a fledgling mage. Eventually you have to choose (sword or sorcery) but up until that point let us experience a little of everything, and not just the sword.

Resnick
Beginner

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 04:22

Mayobe wrote:Stumble into pitch-dark room.

Turn on flashlight.

Read scroll.

Turn off flashlight.

Mayobe, swords, spears and axes do roughly the same thing too. Why the difference?

Truth is, players like having choice and the ability to chase their dreams. I want to be a bow wielding elf, someone else wants to be an axe toting dwarf. What is your preference? Should you be denied just because someone does it a different way already? I want to have choice, and I want spells to be a part of it without it forcing me into a mold I dislike. I do not think we should go hog wild creating a million and one things. But if Genesis is about sword and sorcery, where is the sorcery for the little people?

In short, maybe I would like to have a glow spell instead of a torch. It may only be equivalent to a small torch, finishes faster than the torch because it drains my mana, and is harder to light, but it would be a nice addition to my character.

Resnick
Beginner

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 05:01

Just a thought. In a lot of the stories I read (not necessarily those Genesis is based on) not everyone could cast spells, even minor spells. To keep true to this theme, we can have numerous spells but they are hard to access. The teachers can be in remote locations that are hard to reach and might send players on quests before they will teach a spell or provide a scroll. They could also have biases, so an elf mage might only teach an elf, a white wizard might only teach someone good aligned, while a vampire warlock might only teach someone evil aligned.

I still would like to see numerous spells, so the dedicated can seek them out, just like the characters in the stories I read. Those who are not so inclined will overlook them, maintaining that sense of realism (hopefully).

Resnick
Beginner

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 05:05

Specific things that would be on my wish list...

* A glow spell and glow scrolls. It can be hard or more expensive to learn / get / cast, drains my mana and goes out when my mana finishes. It can also have a timeout an hour or longer (like a day). It should not be easier and more effective at the AG level than buying a torch.

* A darkness spell and darkness scrolls. Engulf a room in darkness for a few seconds. Difficult to cast / high chance of failure when casting (until you get higher skill levels from a layman or occupational magic guild). It should consume something, like a herb linked to darkness, or some body part. Strategic use in fighting (forces the fighters to blindfight which might be an advantage for the few seconds it exists).

* Leather skin / ice skin / stone skin / metal skin / wood skin spells. Hardens your skin for a few hits to slightly reduce damage then dissapears. Like above it should consume something (like the material it represents - i.e. leather, ice (water), stone, metal, wood). It should have a long timeout as well.

* A strength spell. Makes your attacks (slightyly?) more powerful for 2 or 3 hits. Consumes something like tuo to cast and mana and has a long timeout.

* A fire something spell (I don't know what it would be good for, but I like the sound of it). Consume's herbs like fireweed to cast. Uses up mana and has a long timeout.

* A healing spell. Must have a combination of herbs (especially the harder ones to get) to consume. This could be a nice spell, but subject to mana and timeout as well.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 02 Apr 2016 05:38

Resnick wrote:* A strength spell. Makes your attacks (slightyly?) more powerful for 2 or 3 hits. Consumes something like tuo to cast and mana and has a long timeout.
We've got that actually. Quest reward. Also I've heard there was a quest reward spell that melted armours....

Resnick
Beginner

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 06:55

Ody wrote:
Resnick wrote:* A strength spell. Makes your attacks (slightyly?) more powerful for 2 or 3 hits. Consumes something like tuo to cast and mana and has a long timeout.
We've got that actually. Quest reward. Also I've heard there was a quest reward spell that melted armours....
Cool. I will have to find that quest. Any hints?

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 02 Apr 2016 09:10

Resnick wrote:
Ody wrote:
Use a time machine.

trick
Apprentice

Post by trick » 02 Apr 2016 09:48

Mim wrote:
Resnick wrote:
Ody wrote: We've got that actually. Quest reward. Also I've heard there was a quest reward spell that melted armours....
Use a time machine.
Not neccessary. You can get the spell even now. Getting the ingredient for casting it, however, may be a problem.

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 02 Apr 2016 13:05

Resnick wrote:
Mayobe wrote:Stumble into pitch-dark room.

Turn on flashlight.

Read scroll.

Turn off flashlight.

Mayobe, swords, spears and axes do roughly the same thing too. Why the difference?

Truth is, players like having choice and the ability to chase their dreams. I want to be a bow wielding elf, someone else wants to be an axe toting dwarf. What is your preference? Should you be denied just because someone does it a different way already? I want to have choice, and I want spells to be a part of it without it forcing me into a mold I dislike. I do not think we should go hog wild creating a million and one things. But if Genesis is about sword and sorcery, where is the sorcery for the little people?

In short, maybe I would like to have a glow spell instead of a torch. It may only be equivalent to a small torch, finishes faster than the torch because it drains my mana, and is harder to light, but it would be a nice addition to my character.
You're just jealous of my flashlight. 8-)

Anyway, I suspect that the spell skills in AG may relate to skill decay.

It would be nice to have some more "unaffiliated" spells around the place though. I find interesting toys to fill the gap a bit, but I find it odd to think that I could go sup-gu in life spells (for example) without having anything to cast.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/