Coding opportunities / competitions

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Resnick
Beginner

Coding opportunities / competitions

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 06:08

Greetings all. Does the Genesis team offer coding opportunities / competitions so that the community can contribute to the development of Genesis in limited ways? Reason I asked is that one of the wizards pointed out that they need volunteers to help develop the game. As such I was wondering if a TopCoder or Freelancer model might help.

Specifically, say you wanted something like a module implemented. Maybe you could throw it out there (here) with clear guidelines and see if people will contribute code to that module. We would not have to be wizards to do this but if it is successful it could seriously improve the volume of work covered by the wizards.

PS: you could even throw it out to the web in general. Just include careful guidelines so that you get what you ask for (nothing more and nothing less).

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Coding opportunities / competitions

Post by Cherek » 02 Apr 2016 16:24

Resnick wrote:Greetings all. Does the Genesis team offer coding opportunities / competitions so that the community can contribute to the development of Genesis in limited ways? Reason I asked is that one of the wizards pointed out that they need volunteers to help develop the game. As such I was wondering if a TopCoder or Freelancer model might help.

Specifically, say you wanted something like a module implemented. Maybe you could throw it out there (here) with clear guidelines and see if people will contribute code to that module. We would not have to be wizards to do this but if it is successful it could seriously improve the volume of work covered by the wizards.

PS: you could even throw it out to the web in general. Just include careful guidelines so that you get what you ask for (nothing more and nothing less).
Well, yes and no. Sometimes we ask players to help out with descriptions and things like that in the game, and sometimes for small rewards. For example we had a competition to write the quest orbs in the game, and one for website content, and stuff like that, and the players who contributed got in-game rewards.

I do not think we've done that so for actual programming though, as it's a hard thing to "outsource" since the programmer really need to understand how Genesis works and how the very niche LPC programming language works as well.

We always welcome players to apply to become wizards though, and you can still remain a player in the game if you want as well.

Resnick
Beginner

Re: Coding opportunities / competitions

Post by Resnick » 02 Apr 2016 18:43

Cherek wrote:
Resnick wrote:Greetings all. Does the Genesis team offer coding opportunities / competitions so that the community can contribute to the development of Genesis in limited ways? Reason I asked is that one of the wizards pointed out that they need volunteers to help develop the game. As such I was wondering if a TopCoder or Freelancer model might help.

Well, yes and no. Sometimes we ask players to help out with descriptions and things like that in the game, and sometimes for small rewards. For example we had a competition to write the quest orbs in the game, and one for website content, and stuff like that, and the players who contributed got in-game rewards.

I do not think we've done that so for actual programming though, as it's a hard thing to "outsource" since the programmer really need to understand how Genesis works and how the very niche LPC programming language works as well.

We always welcome players to apply to become wizards though, and you can still remain a player in the game if you want as well.
Noted. Thanks for the info.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/