Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Sykil
Adept

Re: Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by Sykil » 13 Mar 2016 14:51

britanica wrote: To start with my view is that there is nothing wrong with scripts buying. I also agree there should be a way to for people with slower connections to have a chance.
These two is opposite. Is like to say There is nothing wrong with taking steroid to lift weight competition, but I also agree there should be a way for people with no steroid to compete. You can't have in balance.

This idea to make instant buy not instant but 1 hour continue to be better for 24/7 player who can always wait the time. More casual cannot just stay and bid all the time against a bot instantly fix their bid again and again on script (without even pay attention).

I like the instant buy because you can use item right away and create for seller dynamic of sale if you prefer. I ask for more if item avail to use now not 72 hour for some item is best. 1 hour extra is inconvenience for more casual player. This is bad direction.

Two thing about me: I am pragmatis. I do not like to accommodate bot style play. If you make player come to auction for max bid, you have two benefit. 1 is 5 min to code. 2 is not favor scripter not even in small way. Bot scripter must decide to stop grind and come to sparkle just like everyone else (and you already have to go for pick up item anyway).

Britannica you are really going to spend you free time to make elaborate (likely breakable) captcha and additional complex system in auction? Just for portion of bid which is max buyout option? If so, you make as you like I guess is how it works. Please try for option which is not favor scripter though? and 24/7 gamer?
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

trick
Apprentice

Post by trick » 13 Mar 2016 15:48

Irk wrote:The auction house takes a 10% cut of the bid up to the maximum bid and a 50% cut of the platinum over the maximum bid[/list]
And, now, the final piece of the puzzle: place to exchange real money for platinums & vice versa. :P

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 13 Mar 2016 18:52

Sykil wrote:This idea to make instant buy not instant but 1 hour continue to be better for 24/7 player who can always wait the time
So make it 30 min or a quarter.
Sykil wrote:More casual cannot just stay and bid all the time against a bot instantly fix their bid again and again on script (without even pay attention)
Scripts are set mainly to buy bargains - people aren't really going to launch overpaying machine. Just bid a market-price amount and no script would overbid you.

britanica
Wizard

Post by britanica » 14 Mar 2016 01:42

Sykil wrote:
britanica wrote: To start with my view is that there is nothing wrong with scripts buying. I also agree there should be a way to for people with slower connections to have a chance.
These two is opposite. Is like to say There is nothing wrong with taking steroid to lift weight competition, but I also agree there should be a way for people with no steroid to compete. You can't have in balance.

This idea to make instant buy not instant but 1 hour continue to be better for 24/7 player who can always wait the time. More casual cannot just stay and bid all the time against a bot instantly fix their bid again and again on script (without even pay attention).

I like the instant buy because you can use item right away and create for seller dynamic of sale if you prefer. I ask for more if item avail to use now not 72 hour for some item is best. 1 hour extra is inconvenience for more casual player. This is bad direction.
Thanks Sykil, you raise some valid points. I admit, what was proposed does disadvantage the causal player player and needs more thought.

When I say I am not against script buying, I mean it is something that can be automated, just like looting a corpse, carving off pieces, eating them, dropping the useless items, keeping unusual ones and etc when "^You killed" is presented. If somebody has the goal to collect 91 imbues of a specific type to make a glittering stone, I believe automating that is reasonable.

Rommik learned to appraise items well before imbuements appeared. This has resulted in normally useless items given values between 10 and 80 all based upon the imbuement present which Rommik doesn't understand yet. Would having Rommik give a better estimated value for each item remove the need for the other changes?
Sykil wrote: Britannica you are really going to spend you free time to make elaborate (likely breakable) captcha and additional complex system in auction? Just for portion of bid which is max buyout option? If so, you make as you like I guess is how it works. Please try for option which is not favor scripter though? and 24/7 gamer?
I am against the captchas.
Breaking the strings up by spaces, scaling the results to a 3x5 matrix and testing the remaining white spaces in the matrix against the 10 patterns will reveal the desired answer.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 16 Mar 2016 04:08

I'm interested in the challenge of creating a captcha that would foil script interpretation. I'll set my mind to it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Strider
Adept

Silence Is Golden

Post by Strider » 19 Mar 2016 00:37

Perhaps it might be much simpler to replace the buy now model with a silent auction one?

The first bid over the maximum amount starts a silent auction where:
  • Any character can only bid once
  • None of the silent bid values are displayed
  • The house keeps a 50% cut above the maximum
  • Bids can be made from anywhere
  • The duration is suitably short, perhaps 5 minutes
This should force anyone attempting to buy something quickly to make their best offer the first time, which should benefit both the seller and the economy.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Val
Apprentice

Post by Val » 06 Apr 2016 20:27

Well, some interesting ideas were put here, but still items keep beeing bought out in 0,5 secs.

Of course since the imbue drop rate was nerfed dramatically, the amount of them appearing on AH is much much smaller, so the problem seems not so hot, but anyway, it sucks.

I would suggest - do not wait for implementing super captcha or anything like that to prevent scripts from buying. That can be done later, why not. I would like to underline, that the problem is not that the scripts are bidding. The problem is how fast they the buy out. So just remove the buy out price or set some additional time for bids 15 mins after the max price was bidded or whatever proposed - everything was much better than 0,5 secs script buying out the occassion. Well, except perhaps the "running to the tent idea" - this I find extremely stupid -> running scripts would still win, giving us even more frustration if we decided to run and still get nothing.

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 06 Apr 2016 23:42

If they had really wanted improvements it would have been done already.
I guess this whole topic was a waste of time.

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 06 Apr 2016 23:49

Faster scripters stop playing than wizies change the AH :twisted:

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 07 Apr 2016 00:29

After having spent a good amount of time gathering, I still think the drop rate for imbues is way to low.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/