Personal Descriptions

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ydred
Veteran

Personal Descriptions

Post by Ydred » 06 Apr 2016 00:41

Is your personal description how you think others see your character or how you see your character?

Elemmiire
Beginner

Re: Personal Descriptions

Post by Elemmiire » 06 Apr 2016 11:59

Good to me

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 06 Apr 2016 14:04

This is an interesting topic.

How I interpret the description of my character is simply how he is. How others read that description and interpret it is something I can play with in order to create a suspense of sorts. What I mean is that I control what others see as much as possible in order to shape the image others have of my character.

Now, with that said, there are various problems in the game currently that do not allow for this suspense or immersion. For example, I don't like lines such as:

'He looks like one who is experienced in many things'
'He is a Necromancer of Vile Darkness'
'He is the brother of <person>'
'His voice is that of a natural basso'

Because they make no sense.

How am I gaining this information by simply looking at someone? Is it in any way immersive if I examine someone and can almost instantly deduce who that person is by using a combination of 'who', the newbie (helper) pin, giveaways in the description and gender?

I can understand a person being able to deduce the affiliations of another by what they wear, but it being so explicit is tasteless. For example, deducing that a person belongs to the Blademasters because they are wearing a chain of so many links is fine, because that person could choose not to wear said chain and add suspense to their identity, whereas there is no way to remove a line such as the one from the mercenaries, regardless of if they wear their badge or not.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 06 Apr 2016 20:48

Since it is something everyone sees or notices when entering the room, i would claim it is how others see your character. Does he appear calm, is he filthy.

I can´t think up an argument that would justify claiming it is only how i see my own character. Its in writing that my character sees your character as a hairy long-armed goblin. :-)

Dhez wrote:How am I gaining this information by simply looking at someone? Is it in any way immersive if I examine someone and can almost instantly deduce who that person is by using a combination of 'who', the newbie (helper) pin, giveaways in the description and gender?
I can agree that its seems overpowerering with all those extra lines.
Problem is, the characters we are playing evolve. The young farm-lad starting on adventure sure can´t see these tell-tale signs as you state. But the veteran warriors, fighting for 10 years or so... I believe he is able to spot sign on which kind of physical state you are in, and wheter you are proficient with arms or not. Most are walking around with wielded weapons, not sheathed, another tell.

I can´t hear your accent when you speak either, which could tell me lots about where you come from. The choice of words are transferred and tell me stuff about where you were trained and so on.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/