New Event: Global War

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Emraht

New Event: Global War

Post by Emraht » 06 Jun 2016 19:09

I have an idea for a new event. I call it: War (although considering it uses star gems... Star War?)
  • Prerequisites:
  • Four new gems: Star ruby (p10*), star emerald(p8), star sapphire(p5), star bauble(p1) - All monsters will begin dropping these during the event. Each star has a power rating. The higher the power, the rarer the drop.
  • One Foundry per guild: This is an iron war tower with racks for arms as well as a spawn point for war forces close to the guild (an example would be the crossroads outside Minas Morgul for the Society, outside a gate of Minas Tirith for the rangers, or the roundabout for Calians). Anyone may donate gems here. Totals are displayed. Troops may be spawned on command by guild members. A foundry may not spawn its own troops if enemy troops hold its space. It spawns troops at a maximum rate of two per two minutes. Foundries can display treaty statuses to members only.
  • War Zones: defined by domain (e.g. Krynn, Ansalon, Gondor, Shire, Calia, etc.)
  • Guild War Zone: defined by the domain in which a guild is located. (One of the conquest goals will to be to take your own area.)
  • Troop portal: Inside Foundry, can send troops to spawn at other Foundries IF Guild War Zone is currently conquered.
  • Troop transport: Loads troops, follows guild member like a mount, can be unloaded anywhere the member chooses. One per guild. Additional cost 100 plats. One guild member can only lead one transport at a time. They may only hold up to fifty power levels of soldiers at a time. You may not unload soldiers where you already have two.
  • Four new soldiers: One for each power level of gem. They have a wander path that is domain wide to the domain they are spawned in (guild foundry or target foundry) OR domain they are unloaded in via transport. They can NOT be attacked by players except for the p10 Star Ruby champion. They auto-attack all other soldiers. No more than two soldiers from a guild may occupy the same room. If one enters a loaded room, it will have to continue wandering. Soldiers arm themselves from the gear placed in the Foundry racks before heading out anywhere. Last in, first out, as usual.
  • Treaty Board: In Sparkle you may officially ally yourselves with other guilds. Allied soldiers will not attack each other. They will continue to auto-attack everyone else. The board is run by the guy from the old Merc camp you could bribe. He can be bribed to give you a random rumor of activity from the board. Activity consists of "I heard that <the Society of Morgul Mages guild> <allied itself with> <the Army of Angmar>!" However, since it's random and all actions stay recorded, you may not be hearing the latest state of that treaty.
It has three factors I consider vital in events I love: Team play (by guild and by allies), Proactive actions (acquiring gems, spawning troops, arming them, conquering guild domains, conquering war zones, forming treaties), and Negative actions (assaulting champions, transporting troops, slaying champions, overrunning foundries, breaking holds on other guild war zones, subverting treaties).
  • Goals:
  • Conquer your own Guild War Zone - Achievable Once (although you could be retaking it) - Done by having at least one soldier in 100+ rooms
  • Conquer a War Zone - Achievable Once per war zone - Done by having at least one soldier in 100+ rooms while no other non-allied guild holds 100 rooms in that zone.
  • Conquer a Foundry - You have two soldiers at another guild's foundry, and that guild has zero.
  • Win by scoring the most points.
  • Smaller Win by being Allied with the winner.
1000 - Conquer your own Guild War Zone (+1000 points if you hold it at War's end)
500 - Conquer a War Zone (+500 points if you hold it at War's end)
100 - Conquer a guild's foundry (+100 points if your soldiers hold it at War's end)
3/p - Three points per power level of soldier slain by your soldiers
2/p - Two points per power level of soldier slain by your guild
1/p - One point per power level of soldier slain by your allies' soldiers
-1/p - Negative one point per power level of your own soldiers slain (That goes for if you kill your own soldier. You won't gain points. You'll lose them.)
-.5/p - Negative half a point per power level of your allies' soldiers slain

The event will start after an armageddon and run until the next armageddon which will last 14 days if possible. The first three days you may only spawn from your own foundry. You may not spawn from others or use troop transports until day four.

This is one of my dream events. It has so many factors you can manipulate with your guild and allies. There are tons of possibilities, tons of ways to participate. Anyone of any size can contribute. Even a great adventurer can lead a transport with his team or get star gems off small fries.

This needs a coder of course, but does anyone see any fundamental flaws to address? What could the prize be besides quest xp? Some cool service available to just your guild until the next time the event runs (which I hope would be often)?

Ody
Hero

Re: New Event: Global War

Post by Ody » 06 Jun 2016 20:26

I like this idea a lot. This is what the Krynn war system should have been all along. And on a global scale it works really well. It could be repeatable, every three months or so. It would increase activity and such.

Edit: Also, you can make it so that Mercenaries and Gladiators can align themselves with other occ guilds. I don't see a bunch of Mercenaries really working together on a thing like this. But I can see them aligning with bigger guilds who pay more.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 06 Jun 2016 20:41

I personally would not like to be forced to partake in events and would like to remain aloof of such wars.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Emraht

Post by Emraht » 06 Jun 2016 21:46

Fair feedback. No one has to do anything different as a result of this event. You are welcome to sell any star gems you find in a shop, jewelry store, or to players... or drop them in a trash bin if it makes you feel more lone wolf.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 06 Jun 2016 21:54

Or give them all to me

Kilrayne
Apprentice

Post by Kilrayne » 06 Jun 2016 23:17

I like this as well, builds off of the Krynn war system. We mercs could sell our blades and use affiliations to ally?

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 07 Jun 2016 00:54

Ody wrote:I like this idea a lot. This is what the Krynn war system should have been all along. And on a global scale it works really well. It could be repeatable, every three months or so. It would increase activity and such.

Edit: Also, you can make it so that Mercenaries and Gladiators can align themselves with other occ guilds. I don't see a bunch of Mercenaries really working together on a thing like this. But I can see them aligning with bigger guilds who pay more.
Originally it was kind of like this, if you switch the event gems for money and resources. Players got war fatigue and found themselves pouring their personal savings in to the system too much, so it got changed. Ultimately it wasn't a system that worked well as an ongoing event, but I reckon as an irregular event it would be very popular.

This sort of event though would be a lot of work... Same issue as always :)

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 07 Jun 2016 01:19

Kilrayne wrote:I like this as well, builds off of the Krynn war system.
Which isn't much to begin with..

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Jun 2016 02:44

Ody wrote:
The Krynn war system used to be a lot more. From what I remember it was a lot of fun when it was introduced, but as Arman mentioned it got very exhausting for us players after a while. I actually did not know it was removed because of that though! The name "war system" is probably misleading these days, it WAS a war system, now simply something to make grinding a little less boring? And add some RP to grinding? It could probably be made awesome again one day...

Uh anyway, enough derailing. Emraht's event sounds fun, but of course very complex to code. I also wonder if players will be able to defend their troops "hands-on"? That is simply by killing those players who try to attack them? If so, I think there is a serious risk it'll turn into a massive gank-fest were big myths and members of guilds with PVP skills (like mages and ogres) have a lot of fun, while anyone below legend or not member of such guilds will just suffer if they try to participate. I think either you'd need to somehow disable PVP during the event or find a way to balance player sizes and abilities during the event.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 07 Jun 2016 04:39

Cherek wrote:
Ody wrote:
The Krynn war system used to be a lot more. From what I remember it was a lot of fun when it was introduced, but as Arman mentioned it got very exhausting for us players after a while. I actually did not know it was removed because of that though! The name "war system" is probably misleading these days, it WAS a war system, now simply something to make grinding a little less boring? And add some RP to grinding? It could probably be made awesome again one day...

Uh anyway, enough derailing. Emraht's event sounds fun, but of course very complex to code. I also wonder if players will be able to defend their troops "hands-on"? That is simply by killing those players who try to attack them? If so, I think there is a serious risk it'll turn into a massive gank-fest were big myths and members of guilds with PVP skills (like mages and ogres) have a lot of fun, while anyone below legend or not member of such guilds will just suffer if they try to participate. I think either you'd need to somehow disable PVP during the event or find a way to balance player sizes and abilities during the event.
At the moment the only real reason for my guild to even take an area is because of rp. (Makes the General and Commanders kinda useless.) Oh and so that newbies don't get paralyzed by dragonfear every four steps when exploring. Perhaps whatever it used to be should be brought back..

And for the 'gank-fest' perhaps make death take a vacation for the event?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/