Non-flamey Size Discussion

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gold bezie
Expert

Re: Non-flamey Size Discussion

Post by gold bezie » 12 Jun 2016 09:50

Ody wrote:
Greneth wrote: Cherek himself has already checked and said the same thing, there is no new blood that sticks beyond Hero but a handful. And even those are disgruntled.
I can think of only three. Egwene, Ghorphys, and myself. The first two are titans and I'm a hero. Those are bad numbers. I can't speak for the other two but I am very disgruntled.
Strange, i can think of a few more who are sticking around above hero, for example ME! and im not disgruntled at all!
Come on guys, its a free game runned by volunteers. Its amazing what we get here. And if we want more or are disgruntled, then lets start paying...

To keep things constructive: Players advice, wizards decide, keep the balance and make it happen. If we do not have enough wizards we can do three things; look at yourself and think if you have the skills and time to help out, find an intern, or find someone and pay him or her for it. I know there are students who would love to have a parttime job like this.

If we do have a good plan and we are willing to pay temporarily a student to code this, then i am sure we can find players willing to donate for this.

When i scroll through the forum i hear more people wanting something changed in the brute system than a statcap, but maybe we can vote for this? Also dont forget there are a lot of people not on the forum because of all the negativity here, we need to hear their opinion as well.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 12 Jun 2016 15:28

I'm speaking of true newbies. People I personally know aren't alts. I missed you. But keep in mind I did say I don't speak for you.

I can think of another. Iris. She hit hero. And..then..left. Why? After nearly a year she's only showed up a few times.

How long have you been stuck at Hero, Goldbezie? Longer then I have, I can say that.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 12 Jun 2016 15:54

Iris had to stop of other reasons, but she misses the game and tries to be awake now and then. Silas is still around and argeil.Argeil started a long time ago playing and then stopped for years. She started playing again a bit before me but its her first character. I think its 2 years now that we play? i m not sure but we still have fun. Snedecor started the same time as me, had a of a break but now is back and having fun. Caestus plays longer than me, he seems to have fun ;). And im sure i can think of a few more people, who might take breaks for a while because of lifeevents, jobs etc.

But that is doesnt mean that there is not a problem and that the game shouldnt be improved. So lets focus on solutions. Wizards should hear the opinions of the players, think it all through and decide. After that is worked out we have the problem of coding the whole thing. I gave 3 solutions for that.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 12 Jun 2016 16:10

Ody wrote:I'm speaking of true newbies. People I personally know aren't alts. I missed you. But keep in mind I did say I don't speak for you.

I can think of another. Iris. She hit hero. And..then..left. Why? After nearly a year she's only showed up a few times.

How long have you been stuck at Hero, Goldbezie? Longer then I have, I can say that.
Perhaps its time to change up your playstyle. Obviously something you are doing isn't working whether it be the equipment you are using, the foes you are fighting, or the teammates you choose.

If you're only here for the roleplay then size shouldn't matter one iota to you. If you want to grow then you might have to sacrifice some RP opportunities to accomplish the task. Its normally champion to legend and beyond that people really start having a struggle. The game's content supports players from Rising hero-champ quite well actually.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 12 Jun 2016 17:06

I'm not only here for roleplay. I'm here because I like the game. If I remember correctly we get what? About three new players a day? How many of those finish the tutorial? How many of those continue past Great Adventurer? 10? 20? It's not enough.

Saying it's fine because it's a free game and the wizards volunteer doesn't cut it. There are many games that are free and use volunteers to code for it. The games that are broken don't last. How many MUDs litter the internet graveyard because they don't offer enough for the current Generation of gamers, catered to the old generation, and died as a result? Too many. And this isn't just my opinion. This is fact. Not many stay long after hitting adept. Those that do have had a lot of help from the oldies. I'm not to proud to admit Pacal and Ives dragged me around for hours on xp runs. Nor too proud to admit friends gave me updated quest walkthroughs. Too many current newbies don't get that luxury.

I quit playing myself at Adept because the game couldn't offer enough for my size and it was too hard to grow. I came back and discovered the love of roleplaying. The point? Too many quit before the content gets geared toward them. What we have here is too many oldies shouting "My game. I'm big. You're not. Don't mess with my game." When at this point it should be more the current generations game. If the game hopes to grow at least. I'm not going anywhere. If sizes are never changed I'll stick around for the years it could take to get to myth. Not everyone can take years. Not everyone has the patience for that. But think beyond your own gaming experience. How many years do the oldies have left before they stop playing too? Fifteen to twenty at the most. What about after they're gone? Genesis will become that place where there's two wizards and one player logged on, again, just like Ydread pointed out happened a few years ago.

This thread isn't necessarily about discussing what change could take place. It should be more geared toward how much a change is needed.

Even older players stopped playing because they couldn't keep up with the 'grinding game.' Players as old as Snowrose, who predates a lot of content in game, is still adept. What does that say? Is she simply too lazy to grind for hours and then quest back down her brute? Not lazy. That's just not fun for everyone. The concept of levels in Genesis and how they're working itself is outdated. There needs to be a change or we'll continue to loose more and more players daily.

Talk to newbies in game about how frustrating it is. I is. I say in game because most don't bother to join the forums. Many don't even know they exist. What's represented in the forums are largely the old generation of players. What we do get from the current batch of active players are 90% oldies 7% oldies who don't play the game anymore and just play the forums and then 4% my generation of players. A lot on the forums my age are like Goldbezie. They'd rather just spend time avoiding enemies as per their rp. Then you have people like me. Who'd love to be able to PvP and have a fighting chance. The newbies you meet in game who don't have forum accounts and aren't interested in such do agree this is a problem. I can rattle off a lot of names of people this has frustrated and have quit playing. Dixel, Olwe and Orien to just name a few. They all stopped at Adept before the content was even aimed at them.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 12 Jun 2016 18:20

Zestana wrote:
Ody wrote:I'm speaking of true
If you're only here for the roleplay then size shouldn't matter one iota to you.
Oh, wow.

I have played the game for the past 25 years and have yet to reach myth. I play Genesis for the RP, not for size.

Still, size DOES still play a role for some RP, to back it up, thus it actually still still is important for some individuals.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 12 Jun 2016 18:51

Zestana wrote:
If you're only here for the roleplay then size shouldn't matter one iota to you.
Oh, wow.

I have played the game for the past 25 years and have yet to reach myth. I play Genesis for the RP, not for size.

Still, size DOES still play a role for some RP, to back it up, thus it actually still still is important for some individuals.
Here we have someone reasonable. Someone who can recognize that it's important to some and can accept that others want it. You're an exceptional individual Johnny.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 12 Jun 2016 19:16

Zestana wrote:
Ody wrote:I'm speaking of true newbies. People I personally know aren't alts. I missed you. But keep in mind I did say I don't speak for you.

Perhaps its time to change up your playstyle. Obviously something you are doing isn't working whether it be the equipment you are using, the foes you are fighting, or the teammates you choose.

If you're only here for the roleplay then size shouldn't matter one iota to you. If you want to grow then you might have to sacrifice some RP opportunities to accomplish the task. Its normally champion to legend and beyond that people really start having a struggle. The game's content supports players from Rising hero-champ quite well actually.
I really wish I still had that old computer with the msn logs, because I remember a little Hero/Titan that kept getting in trouble for his mouth.

And he would always say, "If I was their size this wouldnt be an issue."

:P

Titan

Post by Avatar » 12 Jun 2016 22:25

Zestana wrote:
Oh, wow.

Here we have someone reasonable. Someone who can recognize that it's important to some and can accept that others want it. You're an exceptional individual Johnny.[/quote]

Thank you. Very kind of you to say.

Edit:

To tired to fix the quoting.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 12 Jun 2016 23:51

I had a revelation, and it should probably go in the Suggestions board, but it relates here..

One of the blockages to growth is Brutality. Some say do away with it, some say change it..
How about, hear me out here, keeping the system the same, but implementing something that lowers a characters Brute level. Either a permanent reduction or just a temporary thing.
Maybe an herb or tincture.. Something made with ashwaganda or passion flower or something..

Code: Select all

You drink the bitter tea.
It tastes terrible, but you choke it down.
Surprisingly, you start to feel more relaxed.
You feel less violent.
When you eat a brain, it says you feel more/less intelligent. Why not have something for brute as well?

Now, though, searching for herbs gives exp which increases your Brute level, so, arguably, you're going one step forward, one step back, but I think something could be worked out..
Perhaps a percentage? For a limited duration?
Drink a weak tea and it lowers the Brute by 5%? Strong by 15%? Full strength by 30%?
And then have the weak last one hour, the Strong last 35 minutes and the full strength last for 15-20 minutes?

It sounds like a good compromise..
Thoughts?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/