Races of Krynn/Genesis

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ody
Hero

Races of Krynn/Genesis

Post by Ody » 25 Jul 2016 22:21

Why not turn the Races of Krynn, which is an..okay..racial guild into the Races of Genesis? Why not have the ability to be a half-elf from Middle Earth? Or a goblin from Calia? An elf from Terel? Or a hobbit from Sybarus (obviously joking)?

Draugor
Myth

Re: Races of Krynn/Genesis

Post by Draugor » 26 Jul 2016 05:23

Ody wrote:Why not turn the Races of Krynn, which is an..okay..racial guild into the Races of Genesis? Why not have the ability to be a half-elf from Middle Earth? Or a goblin from Calia? An elf from Terel? Or a hobbit from Sybarus (obviously joking)?

Arent the dunadain the half-elves of Middle-earth? :P

Goblin from Calia... no real Goblin tribe there from wich to hail from.

Elf from Terel on the other hand, Terel has tons of the filthy little buggers

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 26 Jul 2016 05:51

Draugor wrote:
Ody wrote:Why not turn the Races of Krynn, which is an..okay..racial guild into the Races of Genesis? Why not have the ability to be a half-elf from Middle Earth? Or a goblin from Calia? An elf from Terel? Or a hobbit from Sybarus (obviously joking)?

Arent the dunadain the half-elves of Middle-earth? :P

Goblin from Calia... no real Goblin tribe there from wich to hail from.

Elf from Terel on the other hand, Terel has tons of the filthy little buggers
It wouldn't have to be a tribe. Just "X of Calia" or something like that. Or just make up some last names, "X blah-blah of Sybarus."

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 26 Jul 2016 06:45

The Races of Krynn guild was coded a long time ago to facilitate Dragonlance roleplay. It pioneered the ability to change your base racial description, allowing for hobbits to become Kender, elves to join the Knights of Solamnia as half-elves, and Knights/Neidar to expand their cultural roleplay background. It expanded later on to allow for minotaurs and hobgoblins, with the plan for supporting layman guilds for those two (hobgoblin guild got shelves around the time the Army of Angmar was first closed... And focus was moved to work on the Dragonarmies to fill the gap in evil occupational fighter guilds).

Back then it was an unusual racial guild. The preference was for racial guilds then was to have a bit more theme rather than just be something that pads your title... Really, it was seen as a bit of a "filler" racial guild.

I am not sure if that perception has really changed. But at the end of the day it is up to every domain's liege to decide how they want to manage racial guilds for their domains. Avenir may be quite opposed to the idea of a racial sybarite being anything other than a guild linked to their dark dominion? Or Gondor may feel they have a spread of guilds that supports their themes already.

Anyway, the Krynn domain has no plans on expanding the Krynn racial guild at this point :).

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 26 Jul 2016 14:34

We have been begging for a Sybarite Racial guild for an eternity.... that would obviously be open and available to Union and Non Union memebrs alike.
But alas ... nothing happening...
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 26 Jul 2016 15:09

Kitriana wrote:We have been begging for a Sybarite Racial guild for an eternity.... that would obviously be open and available to Union and Non Union memebrs alike.
The whole reason I suggested this at all. We all know players want it. Why should it matter what the liege wants if players feel it's necessary for their roleplay.

And Races of Krynn is already coded. It'd be a lot easier then building one from the ground up.
Last edited by Ody on 26 Jul 2016 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 26 Jul 2016 15:10

Kitriana wrote:We have been begging for a Sybarite Racial guild for an eternity.... that would obviously be open and available to Union and Non Union memebrs alike.
The whole reason I suggested this at all. We all know players want it. Why should it matter what the liege wants if players feel it's necessary for their roleplay.

And Races of Krynn is already coded. It'd be a lot easier then building one from the ground up.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 26 Jul 2016 17:06

Tbh, the union feels more like a Race+OCC guild to me :P The racial should mebbe be coded into the OCC version since it fits the warriors so well?

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 26 Jul 2016 17:46

Agreed Draugor

While I don't necessarily want to be looped under "krynn racial" ... it would be nice to have a racial option that actually fit with our RP.

I know Lilith had some really imaginative ideas for a racial guild at one point .. but it got filed under "Christmas Project"
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 26 Jul 2016 18:09

Ody wrote:Why should it matter what the liege wants if players feel it's necessary for their roleplay.
People: "Down with the King!"
King: "Off with their heads."

If those in power don't want something, it won't happen, regardless of the sentiments of the general populace.
A phrase I like to use is, "If it's a good idea, it's not going to happen."

Adding depth to the game, which a new race (I'm assuming that's what you're getting at? Correct me if I'm terribly mistaken..) certainly does, is always a good thing. That's not to say it won't happen, but it's difficult and time consuming and there are other things with a higher priority. I've heard many people say they want updated content before new content. (Which is fine, btw..)

I do think a racial guild for Sybarus would be quite neat, though. Perhaps for evil dwarves? Or even let hobbits become something like Gollum or a boggart..

Addendum: Rereading your original post, it seems you actually just want to expand the ability to claim heritage from a part of Krynn to claiming heritage from anywhere in Genesis.. This would allow the guild to expand and possibly even have halls/branch offices/chapter houses in several cites and domains.. A most interesting thought. Though, it would require the consensus of those in charge of the guild in its current state and those in charge of the Krynn domain. And also majority approval from each of the heads of the domains.. And then we need a task-force to expand the guild code and work with the Lieges to make sure there are no interruptions of other plans already in motion. And what would we do about li sandwich island?All in all, this would be a large project..
Or, of course, someone could just slapstick a couple new lines of code with new tags and suddenly anyone can hail from anywhere. Yay!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/