Character Creation/Login

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Character Creation/Login

Post by Kitriana » 23 Aug 2016 15:07

Hey -- this is more along the lines of a "dream suggestion" as I know it would likely take a bit of work and I'm not sure anyone has the time for it.
But something I think worth putting on our radars.. I happened upon this article while exploring forum at topmuds.com

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/04/iron- ... /#comments

So went to see how it looked...
ie: http://play.aetolia.com/

if you go through the character creation for the mud ... it has a login/character creation process that is more web/button based than text based. I wonder how hard would it be to create something like that for Genesis .. or if even possible?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Re: Character Creation/Login

Post by Melarec » 23 Aug 2016 19:56

I went through the character creation process and the tutorial. It seems interesting. The GUI is far more interactive than Genesis' GUI.
Creating something like this is entirely possible.

However,
As I understand it, some players log in through a command prompt like Telnet. There's no room for buttons in Telnet.
This would be a completely Web-Client feature.
I've heard the sentiment before that the web-client shouldn't offer too much more than what the players who use something like Telnet get: a command line and response window. (In Telnet, you don't even get a command line; it's all a response window)

Having something so vastly different would give web-client users an edge over those who have to type every command.
Throughout the Tutorial for "Aetolia," I barely typed anything at all; all I needed was the mouse. It takes away from the feel of a Text based game when you don't have to input any text.

Also, Aetolia has a very graphic GUI.. That's also something the Telnet users would miss out on.

While I agree that it's nice and really cool, I don't think it would fit in for Genesis.

But that's just my personal opinion.

EDIT: Perhaps there can be a webpage index with Graphics and lore for all the cities and races.. That would be cool. And it wouldn't really be changing the game, just adding flavour content for those who want to go see it..

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 23 Aug 2016 20:20

I'm certainly not advocating to change the tutorial to not be text. I was more thinking about the login/password entry process... maybe even picking your race and what you look like with initial character creation.

I totally get your point " that the web-client shouldn't offer too much more than what the players who use something like Telnet get: a command line and response window." Its quite valid. But I think creating a quicker mechanism to get people into the tutorial and the game is not a bad thing. Or am I missing something?

Not sure how it gives web client users something vastly superior because they are still going through the tutorial in text. Maybe I wasn't clear about that in my initial proposal.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 23 Aug 2016 21:01

Where does this silly Telnet rule come from?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 24 Aug 2016 14:57

Ody wrote:Where does this silly Telnet rule come from?

From the time when we used telnet to play the game :P 16ish years or so ago for some

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 24 Aug 2016 15:40

Again .. I'm not looking to provide any advantage by using the web client.
I'm talking about improving the login sequence and the character creation sequence to make it more friendly.
I don't think that's a major advantage in terms of gameplay. Actually its not an advantage at all for gameplay.
It just makes the game more accessible for new players.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 24 Aug 2016 17:35

Here's the thing. We should want players to use the Web Client. It's how most find the game these days, we ought to want it to look as good as possible and be as great as possible, Telnet or not. It's an outdated rule really and Kitriana's idea is great, Telnet be damned.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 24 Aug 2016 23:00

Hmm.
I had a think about it and I think there is an easy update that will give the feel Kitriana is asking for, yet not change things too much.
In-game, there are links that input text without typing it. Exits are an example.
These are non-existent in the character creation bit. Every answer has to be typed.
Now, for the character name, pass, and e-mail, that makes sense, but why not for the customization options?

I propose that this "link input" be applied to the option in character creation. It would make things far easier.
Yes, I know, you only have type a number, but what if you can't remember what that number was?
"Hmm, this is a good choice.. Okay, wait, what was that number again? Ah yes.."
Now do that a dozen more times.
Instead:
"Ooh, I like this one!" *click*

Much better.
And it should be quick to implement, as well.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 25 Aug 2016 12:36

Not that any improvements are unwelcome or unappreciated, but to me this sounds like a lot of effort put into something a character does once. This time/effort/energy is better put to use to create new, improve on or enhance the experience for those who are enjoying the game as it is, and future players who manage to spend the two-three minutes it takes to create a new character - albeit "difficult", "boring" or "complex".
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 25 Aug 2016 16:20

You're right... maybe it seems silly. But sometimes these little things make a difference.
Something simple like changing the way you enter a password can have dramatic effects on
people's psychology interest in a product.

And if you pay attention to the top .. it was a "dream request" .. meaning that I get that it is not a high priority and something that I know is not going to get tackled anytime soon. But I still wanted the proposal out there in case some wizard thought.. "hey.. i like that idea... I've done all these other things.. I'm going to tackle that now."

Seriously .. sometimes you guys are so consumed with being naysayers that it amazes me.

I've now seen one whole youtube video and a post on the google chrome page complaining about our login in process. You might say ... well those people are too stupid to login .. they won't get the game anyways... maybe.. maybe not. Why is it so wrong to want to simplify or make the process to login easier? The idea is to hook them in ... teach them the ropes .. and then hopefully they will take the time to learn the rest.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/