Help with coding

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Titan

Help with coding

Post by Avatar » 30 Aug 2016 20:14

I know the wiz population is not as big as it once was. Would it not be an idea to reintroduce the old Madwand solution?

Recruiting mortals to help code for the game?

It seemed to work a charm when it was in play, back in the day.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Arman
Wizard

Re: Help with coding

Post by Arman » 31 Aug 2016 00:10

Avatar wrote:I know the wiz population is not as big as it once was. Would it not be an idea to reintroduce the old Madwand solution?

Recruiting mortals to help code for the game?

It seemed to work a charm when it was in play, back in the day.
I think the madwand concept was introduced back when players had to sacrifice their primary character to become a wizard. While I hate to talk for Cherek on current wizard recruitment practices, I am pretty sure that rule hasn't been active for a long time now :)

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 31 Aug 2016 01:56

I believe the <help wizapp> states that a player may select one of their active characters or create a new one to become the actual wizard. But I may be wrong.

As far as "mortal coding" goes, perhaps a "Wizard's Apprentice" program is in order.
By that I mean mortals stay mortals, but gain the ability to write code for game projects as Wizards do. Like part-time Wizards.
How much autonomy these "apprentices" get would be up to the Council, but I'd think that they'd work best as recruits for large projects to cut down on the workload for the actual wizards. Or perhaps they can write small fixes and the Wizard responsible for them implements actual changes to the game.

Now, as far as I can understand, there is already a "Wizard Training" program in place, but this is different.
Or, perhaps, this could take its place. Future Wizards start as Apprentices and then graduate to Wizzhood.
Could be good for the long term..

Anyway, just a thought.

Orien
Apprentice

Post by Orien » 31 Aug 2016 02:13

*thumb*

Orien are cute (Cool too) kender, if ya disagree with Orien, Orien agree with ya, Orien loves all ^bounce^

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 31 Aug 2016 19:21

Not to be a bitch or anything, but maybe the focus should be on promoting more AoB's instead? I've heard though the grapewine that there's a lot of content, upgrades and even guilds awaiting review by said arch(es).
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 31 Aug 2016 19:46

nils wrote:Not to be a bitch or anything, but maybe the focus should be on promoting more AoB's instead? I've heard though the grapewine that there's a lot of content, upgrades and even guilds awaiting review by said arch(es).

Agreed

Titan

Post by Avatar » 01 Sep 2016 09:38

nils wrote:Not to be a bitch or anything, but maybe the focus should be on promoting more AoB's instead? I've heard though the grapewine that there's a lot of content, upgrades and even guilds awaiting review by said arch(es).
Don't see what this has to do with promoting AoB's. Recruting coding help from mortals is an entirely different thing.

They could/should appoint more AoB's, I agree, but it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 01 Sep 2016 10:01

Ofcourse it does. There's not really a need for any more new content - it's already there! It's just a matter of reviewing it, for which you need more AoB's.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Boreaulam
Wizard

Post by Boreaulam » 01 Sep 2016 17:32

you can have both mortal characters and wizard.
You just cannot login both at the same time

Titan

Post by Avatar » 02 Sep 2016 07:26

nils wrote:Ofcourse it does. There's not really a need for any more new content - it's already there! It's just a matter of reviewing it, for which you need more AoB's.
There is a MAJOR need to overhaul existing areas. get the code updated. So no, there is indeed a need for more active wizards with coding skills.
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/