Problems Thread

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zar
Hero

Re: Problems Thread

Post by Zar » 09 Feb 2014 07:02

Problem: Quests
For new players: That's is just DAMN hard. And this is MUST to have them.
New player want to grow and meets myth that wants to help him... Most time he will get an advice: "Go quest"
For old players:
Sometimes you just get tired to Roleplay as knight and you want to do something else right now.
So you have a choice, to start new character in Genesis or to try another game.
One thought that you must repeat all quests again strikes you and choice goes to another game...
Oh... another game is easier and more pleasant, more graphical and more social? Lets just stay there.

Solution:
For new players:
Create more detailed hints for quests or maybe even walkthroughs for those who want it.
I love riddles, but if it takes too much time challenge turns to annoyance.

For old players share quest experience between official seconds.
Most of the quests are not differ from character to character. So making seconds is hard.
Lets keep people in Genesis by giving them opportunity to try something else.

Dakhor
Apprentice

Post by Dakhor » 20 Oct 2016 14:54

Replying to a 2 year old thread but here goes.

Im an old returning player so naturally for me quests are a pain in the butt to redo for well the 4rth or 5th time.
However I dont remember thinking they were all that interesting to begin with discounting any experience I had when
say up to Wanderer level (the best of times) - after that running around doing fetch quests as a bigger player felt really weird and utterly boring and the only reason I did this was to lover brutality.

So I think a quest xp cap is a great idea and below is more about why but here follows how (example). Take all quests and quadruple (x4) their exp and put an exp cap equal to the old or current exp of all quests completed. This way all new players only need to complete 25% of all quests to hit the cap and current players dont get any more quest exp.

Now this could lead to wizards being able to do for instance guild specific quests.

A scenario:
A newbie enters the realms, does a few quests, grows a bit and joins the rangers of Gondor and is tasked with certain quests that are specific for the rangers guild and will teach the new ranger to

1 - Fear the Morgul Mages
2 - How to possibly counter the Morgul Mages
3 - Whatever is

And as he grows and learns to become a powerful ranger he never has to feel he has to go back to doing fetch quests in Domain X for NPC Y and some of them as evil aligned. It would totally break immersion.

As far as I know there are very very few guild specific quests and I believe this is the reason. Why force a player to be a completionism when most people are not inclined to be. Lets give those Guilds / Wizards / Players a way to encourage role play and immersion and sure lets keep Guilds arround where this is not an requirement (Merc etc etc).

DaC

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2016 18:30

I would suspect the players who spent a lot of time doing all or most quests would feel quite upset if 75% of them suddenly are useless and everyone else who did not spent all that time and effort suddenly gets a huge boost in QXP for free?

It would also make most quests obsolete, as players would probably quite quickly learn which quests they should focus on to reach the 25% as fast as possible. Basically you could probably do Zodiac, Torque and a few other big quests, and then you're at the cap. No need to do any tours or smaller adventures, and no need to be exposed many of our great stories that exist in many quests. And I think the game needs these elements. Also, once you reach the cap, which will be quick, your idea about guild specific quests would also lose their rewards for all players except the really new ones. if we want guild specific quests another type of reward than QXP is probably better?

Also, doing this would kill our weekly quests as they would be pointless unless the rewards are changed from QXP to something else. And everyone who faithfully did the kiosk quest all these years will have their rewards wiped. And not to mention event rewards, as quest XP would no longer be a good reward, so we would have to think of something else for those too. And even if we did, what about all the people who got XP-rewards during 15 years of events? This change would in one single blow completely nullify the rewards they worked hard for.

I am all for sharing ideas, and totally understand your point, and agree not everything with the quest system is great, but I do not think this is the solution though. It would cause more problems than it fixes, and upset a lot of players. Sorry to beat down on your idea, but... yeah, I just don't think it'll work.

I do agree that there are immersion and guild / align / race issues with some quests though. In a perfect world all quests should have different version, or mirror quests, like the ones in MM / MT for example.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 20 Oct 2016 21:50

lol...doing quests for 4th time is so easy

confirmed :)

I believe there are bigger issues atm:

-unfinished recode of guilds
-shitty pvp system (or rather complete lack of it...i mean 'the system')
..........SOHM! open it pls ppls pls pls pls pls <3

back to qexp issue:
experience from polish mud Arkadia where they removed qexp completely - it has no impact on playerbase whatsover (when it was done I was still actively playing there). their current success (+100 players in normal hours in polish-only mud in 2016!) lies in perfect balance of guilds and (to even bigger extend) great pvp system (where your knowledge/fast thinking and macros are rewarded instead of your triggers and autohunt ;) )

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 21 Oct 2016 05:33

Powerfull ranger... lulz, you funneh! :D

I agree on the qexp tho, problem is as Cherek clearly states that you'd more or less be spitting the older population in the face.
WHereas its idiotic that you have to do every damn quest in the game, especially when questing is cancer.

Cherek, lets be honest, wednesday is the quest that gives xp, exchange it for something else, boosted str or some stat of choosing for 24 hours or something
Friday... people mainly do that for the speedboost :D Can we make that 24 hours from completion aswell btw? And not leave when logged out? :P Hardtimer 24 hours

Dakhor
Apprentice

Post by Dakhor » 21 Oct 2016 10:10

Yes I see that there are some issues with my suggestion alas it was only a suggestion, there could be other better ways of doing this.

This is prob a seperate subject alltogether but...

...my main point was that there currently seems to be no guild specific quests that grant quest exp also, why is that and how can we change that (do we want to)?

In order to balance this maybe "Guild XP" does not lower brutality (but also perhaps does not increase it). There is already general exp or whatever its called you get from herbing maybe this could be used.

* Intorduction quests like stated before for guilds / wizards that want them
* Weekly guilds quests, raids, defence whatever. A reason to post in the guild board and to team up weekly.

Ive been in some guilds where the discussion board dates back years and years.

DaC

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 21 Oct 2016 10:17

A few comments.

As I see it, despite the potential good storylines in quests, most probably do them because it's an evil necessity in order to grow. Furthermore some of them are riddled with nonlinear unlogical approaches, paired with hopeless syntaxes and questitems related to the quests missing, replaced, nonspawning and on long timers.

I noticed it was for me fairly common to plan for doing 5 quests, but ended up coing just 2 because the 3 before that was broken/incomplete/lacked necessary components, and had to wait for arma in order to do them. Meanwhile, alot of time was wasted for nothing.

The design is sometimes poor, and it fustrates the player that is forced to do this in order to gain game progression. I understand that the game is old, but the fact that players are enforced early on to crawl through this minefield at early stage is not necessarily so good for the game.

At the same time, I understand drastic changes requires capital in manpower, so I would perhaps look at potential alternatives that could lessen the playability and burden for the new ones, helping them sticking to the game a tad longer.

Items perhaps worth looking at:
1. Questxp vs brute algoritm: Perhaps brute could remain relatively static, giving the new players a good size progression until <insert competative mortal size here> is reached? It would let the new guys entering more meaningful and potentially competative/useful roles in guilds quicker. People can ignore quests early on if they wish, but they become more mandatory at higher levels.

2. New registered seconds receive the questbits and questxp of the main character: Doing all the potential boring quests again because of the evil necessity may deterr old players who are bored of their main to continue playing the game.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 21 Oct 2016 12:21

Kas wrote:1. Questxp vs brute algoritm: Perhaps brute could remain relatively static, giving the new players a good size progression until <insert competative mortal size here> is reached? It would let the new guys entering more meaningful and potentially competative/useful roles in guilds quicker. People can ignore quests early on if they wish, but they become more mandatory at higher levels.
I believe that this is not a good idea. Brutality seems to be the thing glueing together the concept of becoming stronger in this game and I believe new players should be encouraged to understand the concept as soon as they get here. To counter the issue of players leaving early more care could be put in the quests in areas with easy starter quests so that they are bugless and free of weird syntax basically.
Kas wrote:2. New registered seconds receive the questbits and questxp of the main character: Doing all the potential boring quests again because of the evil necessity may deterr old players who are bored of their main to continue playing the game.
As much as this sounds nice, I don't like it. Imagine all those huge seconds running around suddenly cause players want to try a new build. I feel that the characteristics of your gameplay are mostly determined by who you are, who your friends are and essentially a normal (like first time) gameplay makes you grow as part of the donut and not as a lonesome hunter/task finisher. I am sure players push seconds to huge sizes already but its kind of a hassle now and can't be overdone so much to spoil the mold of the ingame community.

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 21 Oct 2016 12:46

My issue with the brute system is how much qexp to combat xp is necessary to lower your brute. You have to get way more qexp to lower a level of brute than combat xp to raise your brute, it seems. I do not enjoy, and prefer not to quest. But, I am forced to grind at it for hours until my brute drops just slightly so I can hunt for ten minutes. I just feel like it should be more optional?
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 21 Oct 2016 13:22

Taro wrote:My issue with the brute system is how much qexp to combat xp is necessary to lower your brute. You have to get way more qexp to lower a level of brute than combat xp to raise your brute, it seems. I do not enjoy, and prefer not to quest. But, I am forced to grind at it for hours until my brute drops just slightly so I can hunt for ten minutes. I just feel like it should be more optional?

Problem is that qexp is ALOT slower to get than combat xp once you get over a certain point, I think its a fanta qexp is worth a fanta combat xp now or something.

THe main problem is that its so insanely critical if you want any sort of size... at all

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/