Remembered

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Remembered

Post by Drazson » 31 Oct 2016 20:43

Okay, I understand that putting any little strain on the information that needs to be kept per character may be a problem but I had an idea about the remembered list.
As every character's Occupational guild makes up a big chunk of who the character is, I think it wouldn't be abusable plus of course it would be quite natural, that you always see your occ guildmates by name when you meet them in the donut, as long you have met them at least once (introduced). I mean adding those people to the general "know or dont" thing, not adding those people to the list. That should free up quite a lot of space for most people in order to avoid having to ask for intros despite knowing eachother. Extending to any kind of guildies may be appropriate rp-wise as well but not sure about the ways it could be used to gain info one shouldn't have. Still it's quite natural for one to know his guildies when he sees them for a 154th time.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Re: Remembered

Post by Melarec » 31 Oct 2016 20:58

While I agree that this would be a cool feature, I'm not certain that this would ever be a priority feature..
The obvious argument against would be that, even if your character cannot remember them, you certainly can.

For instance, I'm more likely to recognize the barrel-chested, orange-bearded dwarf I met two years ago than walking into a room and seeing some random name. (Which I've done, sadly.. Seen a random name and didn't remember who they were, that is..)

Another practice is to avoid using names. Say, "Hello friend," or "Oh! It's you," and then you don't have to remember their name.
Although, if you've seen someone 154 times, you probably know their name without being intro'd.

Still, an interesting feature. Might not make RP sense for every guild, but it's still neat.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 31 Oct 2016 21:41

I don't think that would be a good idea for every guild. Some guilds you may not want other members to know you're a part of it. (Thief's guild for instance.)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 31 Oct 2016 23:41

But what happens when someone leaves a guild? You suddenly stop remembering a bunch of people, so next time you meet them you'll have to reintroduce? And if you join another guild, a bunch of people you already know are moved to the guild memory slot? And what happens when you leave that guild? They go back to your "normal" memory again? But what if that is full? You forget them? It seems confusing to me with different memory slots, and I like things that are simple to understand. Would it not be simpler to just increase the memory of players instead of adding another "automatic memory slot"? If many players have a problem with remembering all of their friends, perhaps that is the simplest solution to just up the memory globally for everyone?

However, I must say as a player I did not see this as a problem, rather a way to show respect to your guild mates. I always made it a priority to remember my guild mates when I was in that type of guild. (Obviously I didn't care to remember every mercenary or gladiator since I wouldn't care much for them anyway), but I definitely remembered all knights and squires when I was a knight, even if I had to forget 20 other people to do so. I'd be pretty insulted if someone in my guild did not make an effort to remember me!:) I mean of the Grand Master introduces to me, and next time I am like "Dude, who are you again, I can't remember" then I'd imagine he wouldn't exactly be happy...

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 31 Oct 2016 23:58

Cherek wrote:However, I must say as a player I never encountered the problem though...
Me either, but that's just because I have no friends!
Cherek wrote:...(Obviously I didn't care to remember every mercenary or gladiator since I wouldn't care much for them anyway)...
Well, that's just harsh Sir. Harsh I say!

To the point though, I have always had mixed feelings about the remembering system and the limiting stat factors. I understand the mystery of the un-introduced player, as quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen happen in Genesis relates to it. However, I can also remember being bewildered that just because I had a stat cap, I was unable to remember someone I had hung out with many times. In addition, it has always been troubling to me that I have to occasionally delete names of players I had many good times with.

I am not entirely sure what can be done for this to be honest, glad I could add so comprehensively to the discussion! ;)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Nov 2016 00:04

Dread wrote:
Cherek wrote:However, I must say as a player I never encountered the problem though...
Cherek wrote:...(Obviously I didn't care to remember every mercenary or gladiator since I wouldn't care much for them anyway)...

To the point though, I have always had mixed feelings about the remembering system and the limiting stat factors. I understand the mystery of the un-introduced player, as quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen happen in Genesis relates to it. However, I can also remember being bewildered that just because I had a stat cap, I was unable to remember someone I had hung out with many times. In addition, it has always been troubling to me that I have to occasionally delete names of players I had many good times with.

I am not entirely sure what can be done for this to be honest, glad I could add so comprehensively to the discussion! ;)
Well, one idea could be that you keep your memory even if you die. So it's based on the max stats you've ever had, not your current stats. Then you would eliminate the problem of dying and trying to remember someone new. That's not entirely logical though, since your stats are smaller so should your memory be. But it would definitely make things simpler. But like I said, forgetting 20 people to remember someone definitely shows that person a lot of respect too, which I kind of like.

About the original idea, we could simply forget the intro part and make you automatically know all your guild mates. But that isn't really realistic, and it will still be confusing when you leave a guild, and of course like Ody mentioned it won't really fit all guilds either...

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 01 Nov 2016 00:10

Cherek wrote:
Dread wrote:

Well, one idea could be that you keep your memory even if you die. So it's based on the max stats you've ever had, not your current stats. Then you would eliminate the problem of dying and trying to remember someone new. That's not entirely logical though, since your stats are smaller so should your memory be. But it would definitely make things simpler. But like I said, forgetting 20 people to remember someone definitely shows that person a lot of respect too, which I kind of like.

About the original idea, we could simply forget the intro part and make you automatically know all your guild mates. But that isn't really realistic, and it will still be confusing when you leave a guild, and of course like Ody mentioned it won't really fit all guilds either...

Tie it to something other than a stat size? Like mortal size or something? I don't know, just spit-balling.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 01 Nov 2016 00:54

Personally I have had a slight problem despite being a youngster. While of course respecting your guild mates is first priority for me too but is it really anywhere near realistic to not remember many friends/people you may work with/people you occasionally hunt or travel with just because you had to prioritize?

And if we want reality then let's check it out. Personally, I remember quite a lot of people just because I meet them from time to time or maybe every day. With others I can't remember where I know that guy from or what the name is, we reintroduce and I refresh my memory of them. Would there be sense in implementing something "refresh my memory of this guy cause we went in the same room" but "if I haven't met him for much time maybe I forget him altogether and have to get reintroduced". For example if the nether is pressuring someone and he leaves for 6 months when he returns he won't remember or be remembered, not one person. Although, as in real life, he does remind you of someone and when you hear a name you may remember quite a lot of things again. Or maybe you get a chance once per day to refresh the memory and at X refreshes you are just too close and you never forget him.

Or maybe we can forget reality and maybe push the limits a little, not sure how high it gets with higher stats. There is a certain myth though that has asked me to "intro please cause I cant keep names sorry" ~20 times so far.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 01 Nov 2016 01:47

I do think memory needs to be increased for people though. I don't like this idea for thematic reasons and because people could just throw alts in a bunch of guilds have have a ton of instant, free introductions. But memory needs a boost in general.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Nov 2016 02:34

Drazson wrote: And if we want reality then let's check it out. Personally, I remember quite a lot of people just because I meet them from time to time or maybe every day. With others I can't remember where I know that guy from or what the name is, we reintroduce and I refresh my memory of them. Would there be sense in implementing something "refresh my memory of this guy cause we went in the same room" but "if I haven't met him for much time maybe I forget him altogether and have to get reintroduced". For example if the nether is pressuring someone and he leaves for 6 months when he returns he won't remember or be remembered, not one person. Although, as in real life, he does remind you of someone and when you hear a name you may remember quite a lot of things again. Or maybe you get a chance once per day to refresh the memory and at X refreshes you are just too close and you never forget him.
I think this is a pretty fun idea. Not sure if it's a realistic change, but definitely an interesting thought. People you meet a lot you can't help but remember, while people you haven't seen for a long time fades from memory, unless you make an effort to remember them. Or something.

I know a lot of old players that keep super old characters that stopped playing a long time ago, or even passed away iRL, in the remembered list, just to remember them. I think that's kind of nice, and I am not sure we should mess with that. Still, definitely an interesting idea. I like this one more than the guild one!:)

About the myth who can't remember you... that's just because he/she thinks others are more important than you I guess.:) Tough luck! You need to make a bigger impression?:)

Question is though, even if we increase memory overall, will that really make a difference in the end? You will still fill it up, it just takes a bit longer, and then struggle with who to forget to make room for the new person. So in the end we'll have the same problem, just later in the game? One solution is of course to just make everyone have unlimited memory and we don't have to worry about stats, death or anything else. There's definitely lots of good arguments for that, but on the other hand I kind of like that Genesis is a bit quirky and difficult, and it's pretty fun that a small dumb goblin can't count a lot, or a remember a lot of names.

I like this problem though! It means that there's enough players around so people fill up their memory!:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/