Rogue One... Potential Spoilers!

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dread
Great Adventurer

Rogue One... Potential Spoilers!

Post by Dread » 27 Dec 2016 21:14

Can I hear from someone that enjoyed this movie, and why? I was really disappointed.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Re: Rogue One... Potential Spoilers!

Post by Syrk » 27 Dec 2016 22:53

Weird. I liked it the best of all SW movies, excluding the original trilogy.
Why? I think we should wait some more before spoiling it for others.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 27 Dec 2016 23:28

Well, I was kind of hoping the title would help those who hadn't seen yet it avoid issues, but if you don't want to discuss it yet I can wait.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 27 Dec 2016 23:52

Allright. I will try to be not very specific.

I watched the first trilogy as a kid so it has had the greatest impact. That is the reason i consider it the best although I think that someone who watched all the movies together would think differently. It is sentimental thing for me.

The producers started the new trilogy with a movie for children and then moved on and made later movies fit the growing audience. But i was not the target audience and did not fall for it anymore. To me the films were allright but nothing special anymore.

The Rouge One is an 'adult' movie compared to most of others SW movies, so it fits me. It develops some plots and explains some issues from other movies. I applaud that. What is more it shows that not every hero has to be a jedi, not everyone needs to use the force. Also i liked the ending scenes with Darth Vader. This is what he was: an unstoppable desctructive force that instilled fear in (almost) everyone. I do not think he was portaited so well as such before.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 28 Dec 2016 00:44

Syrk wrote:I watched the first trilogy as a kid so it has had the greatest impact. That is the reason i consider it the best although I think that someone who watched all the movies together would think differently. It is sentimental thing for me.
I agree with you, and for the same reasons.
Syrk wrote:The producers started the new trilogy with a movie for children and then moved on and made later movies fit the growing audience. But i was not the target audience and did not fall for it anymore. To me the films were allright but nothing special anymore.
Once again, I agree. Although I think calling them 'alright' is being very generous.
Syrk wrote:The Rouge One is an 'adult' movie compared to most of others SW movies, so it fits me. It develops some plots and explains some issues from other movies. I applaud that. What is more it shows that not every hero has to be a jedi, not everyone needs to use the force. Also i liked the ending scenes with Darth Vader. This is what he was: an unstoppable desctructive force that instilled fear in (almost) everyone. I do not think he was portaited so well as such before.
I like the points you make about heroes not needing to be jedi and use the force, I also agree about Vader, they did a great job with him. Now, here is what I didn't like:

1. The premise of the entire movie is to explain the dues ex machina we have been making fun of for 40 years (almost) in a better movie.
2. I don't know why but I really disliked Felicity Jones in this movie. I cannot explain it, she just seemed... uninteresting and wooden the entire time. Even her pep-rally speech seemed ho hum.
3. Can we please, please, leave the 'Stormtroopers suck at everything' trope behind? That still feels very childish from what was supposed to be a Star Wars movie for adults. They admittedly did better with it in the second half of the film, but the first half was still keystone cops.
4. Forest Whitaker's acting seemed extremely forced and wooden. Perhaps just nervous about joining the Star Wars empire.
5. Did the art department run out of money? Play a drinking game with me, every time a character is wearing a small pouch containing what appears to be 3/4 fancy cigar cases, take a drink. You'd be dead by the end heh. I know this is a small thing, I and the people I attended with all noticed it independently though. Was kind of humorous. Wth are those things supposed to be?? Apparently they are damned useful.
6. The plot was more formulaic than I would have liked. Especially given the amount of 'freedom' they had with the characters.

7. This is the most important to me, and I understand, completely my opinion. However, if you are making a movie, for adults, with a 'dark' tone, in a decades-spanning, arguably largest/most popular, sci-fi empire, and the comedy relief is the best part, you did it wrong. Full marks for Alan Tudyk however, the man is a genius at everything he does, but it shouldn't have been the highlight it was, IMO.

That is all I can say without being more specific, so if something seems vague, #6 for instance, that is why.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 28 Dec 2016 01:41

Try this. Imagine if this was a standalone movie and it wasn't leaning on the other movies. Then it just becomes a boring, dull, plastic, carbon copy syfi movie like a billion others. The characters are unlikable and plastic, it's pretty sure, but without relying on the "StarWars" title it's a bad syfi movie with an unsatisfying ending.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Dec 2016 17:00

Ody wrote:Try this. Imagine if this was a standalone movie and it wasn't leaning on the other movies. Then it just becomes a boring, dull, plastic, carbon copy syfi movie like a billion others. The characters are unlikable and plastic, it's pretty sure, but without relying on the "StarWars" title it's a bad syfi movie with an unsatisfying ending.
Agreed, if viewed as a standalone, its actually really nice.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 28 Dec 2016 20:02

Draugor wrote:
Ody wrote:Try this. Imagine if this was a standalone movie and it wasn't leaning on the other movies. Then it just becomes a boring, dull, plastic, carbon copy syfi movie like a billion others. The characters are unlikable and plastic, it's pretty sure, but without relying on the "StarWars" title it's a bad syfi movie with an unsatisfying ending.
Agreed, if viewed as a standalone, its actually really nice.

Lol. I am hopin that was sarcasm, cuz that is not at all what I am getting from Ody.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 28 Dec 2016 20:29

Yeah. I was saying it sucks.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 29 Dec 2016 00:49

Dread wrote:That is all I can say without being more specific, so if something seems vague, #6 for instance, that is why.
My expectations were set low, so i was pleased with Rouge One.
Certainly it could be much better but given the circumstances
i find it very unlikely.

The producers wish to earn more and more and are not
going to take risks - the plots that worked for the first ones
are being used, reused and used again. And so on. The cloning
continues.

I do not expect anything new, special or unique from the SW series.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/