Mana system

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dhez
Great Adventurer

Mana system

Post by Dhez » 16 Jan 2017 17:09

Hello,

Is there a particular reason why the new mana system cannot be global for all players instead of it being tied to guilds? It seems unfair that individuals who make use of mental abilities need to recover them at a much slower pace if they're not members of the newly (re)coded magic guilds.

Some examples of mana usages beyond spells are: glowing gem, gardener abilities, black bandana, and lockpicking.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

gold bezie
Expert

Re: Mana system

Post by gold bezie » 17 Jan 2017 10:07

If it would be the same for every player, no matter what guild one in is, there would be some guilds far too powerful. But i second it that for some other guilds it should be faster to restore mana, to keep more balance now with the new guild.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 17 Jan 2017 10:23

gold bezie wrote:If it would be the same for every player, no matter what guild one in is, there would be some guilds far too powerful. But i second it that for some other guilds it should be faster to restore mana, to keep more balance now with the new guild.

YEs and no, other guilds would not be even close to the same spellcraft, wich is what decides the regeneration mainly.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 17 Jan 2017 12:12

gold bezie wrote:If it would be the same for every player, no matter what guild one in is, there would be some guilds far too powerful. But i second it that for some other guilds it should be faster to restore mana, to keep more balance now with the new guild.
Which guilds would be made far too powerful by this?

I was merely curious as to why, unlike health, mana regeneration depends more on guilds than on a global system. Health regeneration is improved by consuming alcohol, and mana regeneration is improved by drinking water. Asides from these globals, if you're in the new mana system thanks to your guild you can recover full mana in a matter of 5-8 minutes (ballpark figure, haven't measured it so precisely) whereas those in the old system need 45 or so minutes.

If only spells were affected by mana it wouldn't be an issue because if you don't use spells, why bother? But we have various abilities, global abilities, that use mana, a mana we recover at different rates.

It could be argued that persons who harness their mental powers have more dominion over their capacity to regenerate, but I'd use the counterargument of their spells being far more strenuous than trying to pick a lock or find a herb by name. Something like failing to master the jagged black scimitar could be seen as arduous too, and it would justify the drain, but in such cases recovery could be balanced by bringing the skill of spellcraft into the equation, as Draugor mentioned.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 17 Jan 2017 12:15

This is likely to happen within a few months.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 17 Jan 2017 14:34

cotillion wrote:This is likely to happen within a few months.
Thanks.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 01 Feb 2017 01:29

Dhez wrote:Hello,

Is there a particular reason why the new mana system
Huh?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 01 Feb 2017 07:55

Mim wrote:

Huh?

Mana regenerates alot faster for recoded mageguilds atm, prolly faster tan HP if you have enough spellcraft.

kirsach
Wanderer

Post by kirsach » 01 Feb 2017 09:31

Draugor

Are you sure the spellcraft skill helps restore mana faster?

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 01 Feb 2017 12:11

Draugor wrote:
Mim wrote:

Huh?

Mana regenerates alot faster for recoded mageguilds atm, prolly faster tan HP if you have enough spellcraft.
So if I as merc raise my spellcraft my days of low manapool is over?

I have missed this change completely. When was it announced?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/