Weight Training

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Melarec
Rising Hero

Weight Training

Post by Melarec » 09 May 2017 07:33

Would it be possible to make it so that characters built up their strength faster when carrying heavy loads?
Say between Encumbered and and Heavily Loaded?

It makes sense.
It can be especially annoying when a character is still small, trying to wear armour and suddenly collapsing under the load.
A change like this would help characters adapt to their armour far more easily.

(Plus, like, it totally works for Gokuu and Piccolo, soo..)

Kwevin
Veteran

Re: Weight Training

Post by Kwevin » 09 May 2017 15:37

I agree, this is a good idea, and makes it more realistic.
Alea iacta est. Serius regredi est.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 09 May 2017 15:56

What you propose does make sense but I guess the "training-realism" part is covered since CON training scales the carry capacities already (at least I think so, maybe STR helps or it's the other way around? The point remains the same.)
Furthermore, the currect system is not exploitable, while I can already see people running around with gargantuan heaps of copper coins on their backs if what you propose comes up.

However, there could be a better scaling for the earlier CON gains. (or STR, again not sure which stat helps more or at all (can anybody answer this by the way?)) For example (purely abstract): 1st CON bump gives +6, 2nd gives +4, 3rd gives +3, 4th +2, it stabilizes at +1 for each bump later on. Something like that would help youngsters greatly, I myself have great issues with carrying myself around with a weapon and a torso on and I'm veteran (without a racial -CON or -STR even). Also, I don't think it would worsen things for the more hardy ones since a) they get the earlier bonus from better scaling in retrospection so they don't lose to others b) they don't have carrying issues anyway, unless I have too sturdy friends and it doesn't happen with everyone.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 09 May 2017 17:58

It would be a balance issue sadly, unless they make it add brute or something, but then it would improve all stats, just like killing

Kwevin
Veteran

Post by Kwevin » 09 May 2017 18:06

Perhaps if it were only a small boost?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 May 2017 18:46

Cool idea! That would be sort of the Bethesda (Oblivion, Skyrim, etc) model used by numerous games.

But - no. It lies a bit too far outside the way things in Genesis are built. I'm afraid you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way by questing, gaining experience in combat, and through general experiece via herbing or otherwise.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kwevin
Veteran

Post by Kwevin » 09 May 2017 19:02

Not to mention grinding for strength imbues! *groan*

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 09 May 2017 19:30

gorboth wrote:Cool idea! That would be sort of the Bethesda (Oblivion, Skyrim, etc) model used by numerous games.
I've trudged around in Skyrim fully loaded and overloaded and I've never noticed my character getting stronger from it..
Maybe if I climb the 7000 steps while fully/over loaded I'd notice a change?
gorboth wrote:But - no. It lies a bit too far outside the way things in Genesis are built. I'm afraid you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way by questing, gaining experience in combat, and through general experiece via herbing or otherwise.
G.
Perhaps, when between certain encumbrance levels, you get a tiny boost to (strength or con) stat gains when collecting general experience? Like how you can change stat increases through meditation?
Ah well.
Was worth an ask, anyhow..

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 May 2017 20:59

I meant that in games like Skyrim, you improve your skills by performing them, rather than spending money to increase them. I was imagining the same with stats.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 09 May 2017 21:03

gorboth wrote:I meant that in games like Skyrim, you improve your skills by performing them, rather than spending money to increase them. I was imagining the same with stats.
G.
Oooh. I see.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/