Question regarding milestone

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding milestone

Post by gorboth » 18 May 2017 05:42

Amberlee, we can take this to a PM if we need to I guess. We've both spoken our mind, and I have zero interest in a public back-and-forth beyond what we've already done.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 18 May 2017 08:22

Bantering aside, I'm not really satisfied with the answer. I'll try and be more specific.

Even though a record of 114 players online at peak hours is noted, the real average number is far lower. My question was, and still is, a hypothetical one. In the event of a massive increase in players up to a theoretical 150-200 during peak hours, what contingency plans are on the table, currently?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 18 May 2017 09:44

I can look across Krynn and Ansalon and say there are plenty of hunting areas that are under-utilised by players as hunting areas. Sometimes the domains are practically empty! So it isn't that there aren't hunting areas, it is just that they aren't the "optimal" hunting grounds.

I know a lot of work was done by Cotillion in the past to review creatures on risk vs reward and modify experience accordly to reward players who take on creatures that are harder due to armour or specials. But I haven't seen that translate into players spreading out their hunting habits much, resulting in concentration in certain traditional areas and probably a perception of crowding and competition if they don't have the hunting area largely to themselves.

Then there is the myth hunting ground issue. On the one hand, we get complaints about the gap between mortal levels. One way to reduce mega-myth growth is to limit high level hunting grounds. The more mega myths, the more competition in the optimal hunting grounds, the slower the growth of those myths. Where we are reluctant to have stat caps, that is one way to reduce growth.

And we have put thought in to ensuring an adequate spread of hunting areas across mortal levels. I think Cherek was the one managing that list. In my mind ensuring there are hunting grounds for adequate transition up the levels has been more of an issue than this hypothetical one.

If we do have a big sudden influx, little things can be tweaked, and we can always fall back on queueing. No one has ever pretended Genesis had the content to handle massive numbers of players.

In my mind, I reckon Genesis will grow in content faster than population growth.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 May 2017 20:17

In my RL job, not having enough chairs for all the people who show up for choir rehearsal is ...

MY FAVORITE PROBLEM.

Bring it on.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 May 2017 08:50

Musical chairs lol

I bet it guarantees a prompt turn out.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 20 May 2017 04:54

As a pretty active newbie, one who has logged 60+ hours btween characters since joining Genesis a little over a week ago, I think whomever designed the tutorial should have a perpetual party thrown in his\her honor. I also think that once you exit Tutori Isle there is a pretty narrow road that you cannot escape for most new characters. There is only the Orc Fortress in which you can grind and that alone. I like grinding, I have finally got all my triggers down and it is a breeze. But when there is only one spot and one type of enemy to grind at it gets, not boring (the roleplay helps with that), but rather a bit wont for variation. Someone mentioned finding out what x is keeping newbies from logging more time. That would be my broad guess.

Knowledge wise about Genesis I am useless though, so this a very meek and modest submission. And I am constantly impressed and curious about what the wizards are doing. Love the game,

- Sib

after note: and I just found a very helpful form saying a lot of helpful things about grinding at all levels, so apologies

Kwevin
Veteran

Post by Kwevin » 20 May 2017 23:11

Ahh, yes, that reminds me. The Orc Fortress could benefit from being instanced, as I've gone down there quite a few times for a specific thing (key ring comes to mind) and found nothing but skin and bones. Or you go to grind the first level for skills and stats, cuz you can't take the warrior, and all the runts are dead. Something that low level could stand to be instanced like the bunnies in Tutori, especially with all the newbies the game is getting recently.
Alea iacta est. Serius regredi est.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 May 2017 23:43

Kwevin wrote:Ahh, yes, that reminds me. The Orc Fortress could benefit from being instanced, as I've gone down there quite a few times for a specific thing (key ring comes to mind) and found nothing but skin and bones. Or you go to grind the first level for skills and stats, cuz you can't take the warrior, and all the runts are dead. Something that low level could stand to be instanced like the bunnies in Tutori, especially with all the newbies the game is getting recently.
I've considered this. Maybe it is time?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 21 May 2017 01:01

DO it, Gorboth, the only thing there is to do.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 21 May 2017 11:29

If instanced does that not mean u have less chances of runing into other people?
Running into others and joining forces with them would be more fun IMO.

I'd be more in favour of adding some type of looking for group functionality.
As any time any one tries to on the newbie line all they get is hassle from the nrules police.

Maybe as well as teleporting home the newbie pin could allow newbs to teleport between new sparkle church type places in Bree and plalanthas and terel. As for a new person on the client getting between the newbie grinders fast must be a chore.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/