Reworking Brutality

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Reworking Brutality

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 May 2017 10:29

This topic has been around a long while, but is ever popular.

I always complement our wizardly work and see existing quests as an asset to the game. Our worst quest is still better than the mindless crap that MMOs have. Kill ten x, yeah the ones with the exclamation mark you dumbass. Now go kill ten slightly different x. Omg, the ones with the exclamation mark!

But I'm not sure our brute system is better.
Yes it is awesome that there is a soft cap for max Lvls
But that it frequently but the brakes on severely at every stage of growth is questionable.
Like I see enough ppl with ancient characters stuck at champion to know that even if you have an okay brute the amount of grinding u need to do for top lvls is insane.
Insanely fun lol.

But the point is, reviewing this and capping brutes negative effects to help new player growth. We are not going to see myths popping up overnight then complaining over lack of endgame content.

We would see a lot more ppl able to grind to titan without worrying about quests.

No bad thing IMO
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2017 10:42

Tarax the Terrible wrote:This topic has been around a long while, but is ever popular.

I always complement our wizardly work and see existing quests as an asset to the game. Our worst quest is still better than the mindless crap that MMOs have. Kill ten x, yeah the ones with the exclamation mark you dumbass. Now go kill ten slightly different x. Omg, the ones with the exclamation mark!

But I'm not sure our brute system is better.
Yes it is awesome that there is a soft cap for max Lvls
But that it frequently but the brakes on severely at every stage of growth is questionable.
Like I see enough ppl with ancient characters stuck at champion to know that even if you have an okay brute the amount of grinding u need to do for top lvls is insane.
Insanely fun lol.

But the point is, reviewing this and capping brutes negative effects to help new player growth. We are not going to see myths popping up overnight then complaining over lack of endgame content.

We would see a lot more ppl able to grind to titan without worrying about quests.

No bad thing IMO
I've experimented with that actually, just for those reasons. In that experiment it went twice as fast to go from novice to hero, and the amount of questing needed to reach hero was far less than it is now. It was just a test though, making such a dramatic change would of course come with all sorts of problems. For example making grinding areas at lower levels obsolete very quickly, and perhaps overpopulating the hero-titan range of players, and probably other unforeseen effects. So lots of things to consider if we ever were to do any such change. It was a fun experiment though.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 24 May 2017 10:44

I'm stuckish at Champion .. but it isn't because of quests. I've done most of them..verging on all of them. But I absolutely abhor grinding. I don't know if I will ever make it to Myth just because I just don't have the patience to go and grind that much. So what do you do for people like me? I don't want more grinding.. or a grinding focused game. I want more quests to do.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2017 10:52

Kitriana wrote:I'm stuckish at Champion .. but it isn't because of quests. I've done most of them..verging on all of them. But I absolutely abhor grinding. I don't know if I will ever make it to Myth just because I just don't have the patience to go and grind that much. So what do you do for people like me? I don't want more grinding.. or a grinding focused game. I want more quests to do.
Well, that's where I ended up as a player too. If you don't enjoy grinding and has done all quests your main option really is focusing on your guild and RP. That's currently what we have to offer as "endgame" for the non-grinders. Or we can just play Fireball all days?! That's such an underestimated game. No I am serious. It's fun.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 May 2017 12:04

Love fireball, whoever coded that to be able to played in the text based format is a genius

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 May 2017 12:19

Cherek wrote: I've experimented with that actually, just for those reasons. In that experiment it went twice as fast to go from novice to hero, and the amount of questing needed to reach hero was far less than it is now. It was just a test though, making such a dramatic change would of course come with all sorts of problems. For example making grinding areas at lower levels obsolete very quickly, and perhaps overpopulating the hero-titan range of players, and probably other unforeseen effects. So lots of things to consider if we ever were to do any such change. It was a fun experiment though.
Nice...

When anyone is playing for the first time, making noticeable progress really factors into getting you hooked.
I remember being very happy when my first char started to be more badass than I judged my own stats. (Somewhere around hefty, not good on dis tho - too easily hooks on muds) lol

Being able to do that without getting stuck and frustrated on a quest = A lot less rage quits.

Having more of the player population around Titan sized = good for guilds and fun.
A team of titans can kill solo myths no probs.
It opens up a lot more of the games content to them.
You finally feel "big".

I don't think the possible problems you listed are to severe or insurmountable.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 24 May 2017 15:34

I agree with Tarax. I don't think the issues with your experiment are that big. There are lots of underutilized grinding areas. The orcs north of Bree in the hedge for instance. I don't think people bother going there (Mostly because of poor experience and useless loot) places like that could simply be buffed and converted to areas for hero-titan. It would only take a few of them to rebalance things wouldn't it?

Oh and Cherek: Jobs are for hacks and history is boring. Toss both out.

Jokes aside. What I said would never actually happen, of course. I was saying it could/should in theory.

Kwevin
Veteran

Post by Kwevin » 24 May 2017 15:49

Actually, about that Orc Camp, it seems to be a higher end grind, because damn near everything stuns, but I can get quite a few down with my adventurer dwarf. Sure, the loot is useless, but I like the idea of dice, and I think it could be good, if you dropped the special chance for them, or upped the exp.
Alea iacta est. Serius regredi est.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 May 2017 03:56

Kitriana wrote:I'm stuckish at Champion .. but it isn't because of quests. I've done most of them..verging on all of them. But I absolutely abhor grinding. I don't know if I will ever make it to Myth just because I just don't have the patience to go and grind that much. So what do you do for people like me? I don't want more grinding.. or a grinding focused game. I want more quests to do.

Well if you abhor grinding you basically won't make it to myth easily.
Nor do you really need to though? :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 25 May 2017 12:33

so if i don't need to make it to myth .. why does anyone else need to?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/