Brainstorming: Dis

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kwevin
Veteran

Re: Brainstorming: Dis

Post by Kwevin » 24 May 2017 16:09

Arman wrote:
When casting a spell you don't do any white damage. So discipline changes along those lines wouldn't be useful... which is fine in my books... a stat type doesn't have to be useful to everyone. Having said that, I've heard that spellcasters get panicky more quickly than melee BECAUSE they don't deal white damage... so discipline could still be useful.

If you do feel we need to cater more for spellcasters, maybe just make sure something like the chance of spell failure when in combat is impacted by discipline?
Failure chance would be phenomenal for some spellcaster guilds *cough* SoHM *cough* If that were implemented, I think you'd get a lot of mages into dis. And, mages actually should have higher dis, because it's supposed to be a lot of work to learn magic. Years of dedication.
Alea iacta est. Serius regredi est.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 May 2017 03:50

Well that's a horrible idea really.
SoHM already has enough fail chance due to skill and dificulty of spells.
But yes, dis should atleast do something for casters.
Perhaps make it harder to resist the spells?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kwevin
Veteran

Post by Kwevin » 25 May 2017 15:15

What I meant is, drop the fail chance for higher dis. Although I do see your problem. Someone who's spineless, would they have horrible fail chance? Barely ever succeed in a spell? Well, maybe have it a bit less of a difference then.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 25 May 2017 16:25

Most ppl just saying their "make my char better pls" lists.

Thats an abosolutely terribad idea Amberlee.

Resistance is hard enough to figure out without making what little you can realistically get worthless.

As sometimes its hard enough to even work out
A) what magic type caster X is going to be able to use against you
B) ok you know the magic type, what items are there in the realms to boost resistance to said type

Ok so fire might be the easy one...
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 29 May 2017 20:19

How about dis governing a chance for critical white hits? These critical do not have to do a LOT of damage but it can add some flavor in a fight.

Celemir
Wanderer

Post by Celemir » 29 May 2017 22:34

Ody wrote:If the idea is to give discipline a more important function on par with the others then why not make it stack with defense and parry to influence how well you block by a small amount. More disciplined warriors are better at standing their ground and defending themselves than lesser warriors. Don't make it a crazy boost or anything. Just enough so it's noticeable at higher levels.
Having discipline tying into defensive skills sounds great to me. A more disciplined fighter would be able to focus on his training and keep up his defenses in the heat of battle.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 May 2017 22:57

If it was defensive the bonus is reduced for teams.

Team commanders ftw
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 30 May 2017 13:14

Amberlee wrote:Perhaps make it harder to resist the spells?
If I understand you correctly you propose the higher the casters dis the less likely target will resist it.
What if you change perspektive - The higher the dis of the target the more likely your spell will fail?

The jist of it would be: Discipline increases natural resist.

Would give anyone the incentive to put xp into the stat.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Kwevin
Veteran

Post by Kwevin » 31 May 2017 03:59

Not far off of what I meant, Nils.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 31 May 2017 20:39

nils wrote:
Amberlee wrote:Perhaps make it harder to resist the spells?
If I understand you correctly you propose the higher the casters dis the less likely target will resist it.
What if you change perspektive - The higher the dis of the target the more likely your spell will fail?

The jist of it would be: Discipline increases natural resist.

Would give anyone the incentive to put xp into the stat.
Huh - interesting!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/