Non-flamey Size Discussion

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Re: Non-flamey Size Discussion

Post by Amberlee » 14 Jun 2017 01:09

Just because you don't get the response you wanted, it doesn't mean the point was proven.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 14 Jun 2017 01:25

Amberlee wrote:Just because you don't get the response you wanted, it doesn't mean the point was proven.
If you can't see the correlation between IDKFA and that exact quotation then I don't know what to tell you. Cause the point the reviewer made was just proven.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 14 Jun 2017 01:35

You don't have to be a old player to have the tools for massive growth.
Quests are doable. Even if they are still a bit annoying.

I actually think its the grind train that the uninitiated are missing out on.
By this stage a lot of people have reached myth through slow and steady progress.
That isn't what I am talking about.

There were people at myth almost as soon as it arrived.
And lots more soon afterwards.
And those people were all excellent power players.
They had buddies in guilds that complimented each other and spent
nearly every waking hour getting top notch exps.
That is why they were bigger than the rest of us.

They knew the new areas when they opened, they knew exactly what was
worth killing and what wasn't.
They are the reason areas and guilds etc got re-balanced to try and slow em down.

Now its a lot easier to learn all that with someone showing you how.
But its not impossible to get to without any prior knowledge from the ancient myths.
But it does take you getting into their mindset and you can't do it well flying solo.

If admin wanted to help bridge the gap could give a daily exp boost to a cap.
The boost would be a drop in the ocean to the great grinders.
But could double the output of the slow n steady crew.
Its a boost for everyone, myths cant complain.

Currently I don't even rank as slow and steady, more dead slow and stopped.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 14 Jun 2017 02:03

Exact point i've been trying to make, Tarax.
Amberlee isn't even close to QEXP cap yet and is getting decent size.
All due to slow and steady grind.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 14 Jun 2017 07:36

Well shit.

Why not just let all newbies that come off tutorial island, become champion instantly. That way they wont be cheated out of the chance to catch up to people that have invested 10+, 15+, 20+ years into the game.

I'm as tired of this whine towards how much of an advantage old timers have, as some people are of the lazy thing.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 14 Jun 2017 11:45

Just my 2 copper coins.

I suppose the mentality of new players is more or less "MMO approach", where anyone can max out in matter of months, if not weeks.
Basically, Genesis is mother and father of all moderns MMOs, and ever since MMOs were first introduced they underwent through process of "casualization", or as we "old players" call it, "dumbing down". Games gradually move away from relying on players being able to fully customize their characters, to approach where stats are automatically distributed and you have 3-4 predefined "specs" you can use.

New players need to understand that even though Genesis has underwent this process at some extent (enchanted items, death recovery, etc), it's only "at some extent" and the "extent" is much less of an "extent" of WoW for instance. The game is intended to have "supreme" beings who invested 20 years into the characters and newbies who can die if "supreme being" looks at them and snaps fingers. And don't get me wrong, when I was starting to play back in 95, there was the same situation, since there were players who started in 91. But guess what, after a steep learning curve and 3 years invested into my character, I could take on vast majority of players, or at least not die to them, or even huge team of them.

Bottom line, Genesis is much more "hardcore" than any other MMO out there. You'll never be able to catch up to old players. Hell, even if I get back to playing right now with my almost legend sized character, I won't be able to catch up on Morrison, who was BTW a really medium sized player back when I was in the top of Genesis PvP elite, which only proves determination and hard work is a key here. So if you're looking for a game where you can hit the top of the chart in few month, I would advise going towards the modern "WoW-like" MMOs. If you're looking to experience what once was the most hardcore game (mostly because it was pretty much the only one around), then welcome aboard. Perhaps a year from now you could get to myth size, which is more than enough to be able to stand for yourself in PvP.

As for high level snobs who bully newbies, you'll see MUCH more of those in modern MMOs, for instance WoW. Trust me. MUCH... MORE, been there, tried that.

Hope this helps, I'm looking at the things from different perspective than most of currently active players. I've played my share of Genesis to full extent, I've played modern MMOs for years, I've played browser strategies, so I have a pretty nice view on a big picture.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 14 Jun 2017 12:39

mallor wrote:Just my 2 copper coins.

I suppose the mentality of new players is more or less "MMO approach", where anyone can max out in matter of months, if not weeks.
Basically, Genesis is mother and father of all moderns MMOs, and ever since MMOs were first introduced they underwent through process of "casualization", or as we "old players" call it, "dumbing down". Games gradually move away from relying on players being able to fully customize their characters, to approach where stats are automatically distributed and you have 3-4 predefined "specs" you can use.

New players need to understand that even though Genesis has underwent this process at some extent (enchanted items, death recovery, etc), it's only "at some extent" and the "extent" is much less of an "extent" of WoW for instance. The game is intended to have "supreme" beings who invested 20 years into the characters and newbies who can die if "supreme being" looks at them and snaps fingers. And don't get me wrong, when I was starting to play back in 95, there was the same situation, since there were players who started in 91. But guess what, after a steep learning curve and 3 years invested into my character, I could take on vast majority of players, or at least not die to them, or even huge team of them.

Bottom line, Genesis is much more "hardcore" than any other MMO out there. You'll never be able to catch up to old players. Hell, even if I get back to playing right now with my almost legend sized character, I won't be able to catch up on Morrison, who was BTW a really medium sized player back when I was in the top of Genesis PvP elite, which only proves determination and hard work is a key here. So if you're looking for a game where you can hit the top of the chart in few month, I would advise going towards the modern "WoW-like" MMOs. If you're looking to experience what once was the most hardcore game (mostly because it was pretty much the only one around), then welcome aboard. Perhaps a year from now you could get to myth size, which is more than enough to be able to stand for yourself in PvP.

As for high level snobs who bully newbies, you'll see MUCH more of those in modern MMOs, for instance WoW. Trust me. MUCH... MORE, been there, tried that.

Hope this helps, I'm looking at the things from different perspective than most of currently active players. I've played my share of Genesis to full extent, I've played modern MMOs for years, I've played browser strategies, so I have a pretty nice view on a big picture.
Couldnt have put it better myself. Hear Hear!
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 14 Jun 2017 15:28

Ok here is my attempt at heart head heart language of caring.

Hello millennial. I understand that you may have severe reservations about playing Genesis. I can hear the frustration in your words and can see your point of view. The reality is that your perspective is in part my fault and that of my generation who were the children of baby-boomers and had a lot of the niceties that others did not growing up; we were products of broken homes and parents who had mid-life crises. We learned about how tough life was and that it was generally unfair. People were becoming millionaires overnight with .com startups and other innovative things. What this did for us was to create a generation of children who have an addiction to instant gratification. Just because you graduated with your bachelors degree does not mean that you get to be CEO of Intel. A position of import comes with time and dedication and this job hopping that you do every 6 months to 2 years does not show that you have that type of mindset. I understand my words may be harsh, but maybe together we can come up with a viable solution that is beneficial for everyone involved.

Thank you and have a fantastic day!

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Jun 2017 16:41

Are you trying to be funny?

Fail.

Most things evolve but apparently you and Avatar is stuck.

Think again before you reply, think again before you press submit and maybe, just maybe, something intelligent will come out of it.

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 14 Jun 2017 18:51

Chanele wrote: Most things evolve
Maybe when you understand the difference between evolution and casualization, something intelligent will come out of you. Let's be optimistic.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/