New Race: Vampire

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Do you want there to be a vampire playable race?

Yes, do this!
12%
No, I'm good.
88%

Total votes: 43

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Re: New Race: Vampire

Post by Sibbedidenn » 31 Jul 2017 20:37

Yeah, I changed my vote for the heck of it too. Oh well, you lose some and you--wait... (Sibeddidenn cries in the corner) Thanks, Cherek.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 01 Aug 2017 01:04

Sibbedidenn wrote:Yeah, I changed my vote for the heck of it too. Oh well, you lose some and you--wait... (Sibeddidenn cries in the corner) Thanks, Cherek.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I loved the original Vampyrs guild and their layman Bloodguard. It was one of the original hooks back in '94 that really got me into the game. Just think of it as that girlfriend that keeps breaking your heart... there is only so many times you can go back for more punishment.

So..... Should we give her one more chance? ;)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 01 Aug 2017 02:08

Arman wrote:
Sibbedidenn wrote:Yeah, I changed my vote for the heck of it too. Oh well, you lose some and you--wait... (Sibeddidenn cries in the corner) Thanks, Cherek.
Yeah don't get me wrong, I loved the original Vampyrs guild and their layman Bloodguard. It was one of the original hooks back in '94 that really got me into the game. Just think of it as that girlfriend that keeps breaking your heart... there is only so many times you can go back for more punishment.

So..... Should we give her one more chance? ;)

Yessss.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 01 Aug 2017 02:44

I've always been an uxorious fellow... ugh. No. No though. Eventually, one must-- SIDE WITH AMBERLEE!!! (she squirms as I grab her hand and raise it before the growing booing crowd.) Nah thanks, y'all though for the votes. I enjoyed them at least.

Hindsight: I should have realized that Amberlee was stronger than I am and on the doesn't-like-having-her-hand-raised-by-stranger-in-front-of-a-crowds sides of things. Ouch
Last edited by Sibbedidenn on 01 Aug 2017 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 01 Aug 2017 10:16

Haha! No not feeling the pressure re: WoHS recode :). I was doing a bit of a clean-up of the Tower of High Sorcery in Wayreth and updated some of the guild boards there... the guild was closed bang on January 1998, so it will be almost 20 years since the Orders last walked the realms! I'll leave the notes from those days on the board for nostalgia sake so new members can reminisce a bit :).

But the thing they'll realise from the notes is that the guild was closed for good reason. It opened in a very incomplete state when coding and balancing magic guilds was really hard. It was massively underwhelming in player experience and power, so it didn't do the game much service.

So in that sense I don't feel the pressure :). I also have used hardly any old code with the exception of the Tower... as Cherek pointed out it is much easier starting from scratch. The new magic system has made development much easier on almost every level. And from the beta testing that has been going on over the last few months I am pretty confident it will be a fun player experience.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 01 Aug 2017 11:22

Tbh, if they where properly balanced it is a very cool concept of the guild, but the right people leading and the guild not going totally of the rails powerwise is kinda important, this has been the problem so far, alot of extremelly biased people running guilds.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 01 Aug 2017 15:01

A resounding no.... Some things are better left to the past as unfortunate as it may be.

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 01 Aug 2017 15:13

On the bright side of things, where vampires usually don't skulk about, at least we got roughly a third of core Genesis players to agree on something and on the record too. Oh yeah

I'll be satisfied with an emote that results in the following: sucking on the pale long-legged elf's neck you give her/him a hickey.

Yeah, that'll do me in.
Last edited by Sibbedidenn on 01 Aug 2017 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 01 Aug 2017 19:37

Vampirism is a _state_ like lichhood, and not a race, so I voted no.

With that said, there is no technical reason the last iteration of the vampireguild can't reappear in the game since it was recoded and rebalanced accordingly. :)
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Aug 2017 05:12

I moved the posts about bringing back old guilds in order not to derail this topics further. I guess I started derailing it myself, so I also did the job of moving it, which serves me right.:) That discussion can now be found here instead: https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... f=2&t=4097

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/