Web Content Generator / Pseudo Coder

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Bromen
Champion

Re: Web Content Generator / Pseudo Coder

Post by Bromen » 31 Mar 2010 09:46

I can now begin to work on the Harry Potter guild...

Thank you Earth!

Yanus
Adventurer

Post by Yanus » 07 Apr 2010 18:50

Earth, great idea!
I'm crossing fingers.

Will it be able to create areas from the maps?
Or... Drag and drop ability while constructing areas?

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 07 Apr 2010 21:57

Yanus wrote:Will it be able to create areas from the maps?
Or... Drag and drop ability while constructing areas?
I'm currently just working on the skeleton framework, and the initial release may be a little be primitive looking, but both your ideas seem very feasible. I'll add them to my list for the future.

fulgrim
Apprentice

Post by fulgrim » 10 Jun 2010 02:27

I'd just like to say this is one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time.
During both my "tours" in Genesis I always wanted to contribute to the game, but my poor coding skills prevented me from doing this. Sure, I could write something simple like a sword that drains mana and transfers it to the wielder, but when I saw the code for a really cool thing like the mumakil in ME I was... :shock:
Coding seems to be something you have to be really devoted to. I don't think I will ever be as good as many of the wizards.
But with this tool that you are building, you can create and perhaps even stock an area. Then, if the wizards feel inclined, they can perhaps help with the code for more advanced things like "boss" monsters, quests etc.
I.e the thing you propose can help players who are more into writing than coding to add something to Genesis.
Super cool idea.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 10 Jun 2010 03:58

Earth, if I may. Would you please introduce the string variables in descriptions?
If I remember correctly, they were called with @@stringname or something like that. It's helpful when you want to code things with variable description (ie. room looking differently basing on the time of day, season or player race).

The idea is truly awesome.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 10 Jun 2010 04:15

Let's not overwhelm Earth with too many features in the first release :ugeek: What you're describing is actually not variables, but VBFC. It allows a function to be called in place of a string. Whenever the string is printed, the function will be called to fill in that portion.

Earth will need to actually allow people to write functions to be plugged in. I can't imagine that it'll be too easy to guarantee that functions written will load correctly. But definitely a cool idea! I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing this pseudocoder happen. Go Earth!

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 10 Jun 2010 09:05

Go Earth...
Stop abusing poor AA's on the plains and get to work. :)
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 10 Jun 2010 15:45

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Go Earth...
Stop abusing poor AA's on the plains and get to work. :)
I'm working on it, but it's slow... I'm hoping by the end of summer I should have something to show. I'm evalutating a new tool at the same time I"m coding this so there is a little bit of a learning curve...

I'll post progress as I have something meaningful to show.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 07 Jul 2010 21:04

Ok, took the holiday weekend to get to work on this project a little, and here is where I stand so far.

1. I have finally completed the design for the framework on which the code generator will work on. Not so surprisingly, it follows the same object inheritance structure that the objects in Genesis are based upon. I intend on completely separating the presentation layers from the guts of the code so I may be able to release a windows version and a web version without having to recode too much.

2. I have created a basic prototype framework or the creation of rooms and a simple web page to conduct "proof of concept" tests for the results.

Now, I would like a little feedback upon how you think the web version of this application should work. I intend on creating a 'login' framework so that we can grant access to individual people to the application, BUT, would more people be interested in coding with their own personal projects or more of a wiki style approach, where everyone can see all the generated code and make modifications (with logging of course)?

Also, if any you are interested in helping me test the pre-alpha version of this application and provide meaningful feedback, please send me a PM here.

Bomrim
Apprentice

Post by Bomrim » 09 Jul 2010 10:52

Maybe it's time to shake of the dust.

Many years ago I made a own little mud. It was quite fun.

Made some webpages for my living for a short period, as the genesis webpage isn't very good, maybe it's something that one can help with?
Bomrim the Mighty Rockfriend, Supreme Master Gladiator of Athas and August
Doctor of Music, titan, male dwarf.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/