Change to spellcasting and shieldwearing

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: Change to spellcasting and shieldwearing

Post by Draugor » 18 Sep 2017 05:11

Snedecor wrote:Thanks for the meaningful attempt at a solution draugor, but I am almost constantly casting, so removing shields would mean I would hardly be able to get any defense from them.

THats the point tho aint it? No heavy armours etc, but make shieldspells meaningfull and all you need, a wizard running around with two shields and a full platemail looks stupid, kinda like monks doing the same :P

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 18 Sep 2017 07:48

Draugor wrote:
Snedecor wrote:Thanks for the meaningful attempt at a solution draugor, but I am almost constantly casting, so removing shields would mean I would hardly be able to get any defense from them.

THats the point tho aint it? No heavy armours etc, but make shieldspells meaningfull and all you need, a wizard running around with two shields and a full platemail looks stupid, kinda like monks doing the same :P
DO can't deal even 1/10 of sohm damage though, can they?

Dakhor
Apprentice

Post by Dakhor » 18 Sep 2017 15:20

Draugor wrote:

It looks stupid for most mele guilds to run around with full platemail. Plate-armour should come with drawbacks for all players. Higher spellfailiure, slower specials, less regular attacks etc... And at the same time cloth / leather etc armours can be given certain boosts such as faster regular attacks, boost to wis/int whatever.

Same goes for smaller shields vs larger shields. Smaller shields can give certain benefits larger shields do not grant such as with armours above. There can be certain small shields that grant spellcasters some interesting benefits and some that do the same for monks etc.

This all can be done in generic passive effects or per item basis of course and would boost the appeal of teaming.

DaK

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 18 Sep 2017 17:18

Dakhor wrote:
Draugor wrote:

It looks stupid for most mele guilds to run around with full platemail. Plate-armour should come with drawbacks for all players. Higher spellfailiure, slower specials, less regular attacks etc... And at the same time cloth / leather etc armours can be given certain boosts such as faster regular attacks, boost to wis/int whatever.

Same goes for smaller shields vs larger shields. Smaller shields can give certain benefits larger shields do not grant such as with armours above. There can be certain small shields that grant spellcasters some interesting benefits and some that do the same for monks etc.

This all can be done in generic passive effects or per item basis of course and would boost the appeal of teaming.

DaK
Aye, ofc, however alot of the drawbacks can be combatted by the batshit str some players lugg around, and warriors overallt tend to wear armour :P Alltho chainmail was much more common for non mounted. But I have yet to see more than 1-2 lorebases that allows full platemailed mages with 2 huge shields. 2 shields even moreso for everyone.

But mages should be able to use spells for protection and shouldnt really be as tanky as they are now

Dakhor
Apprentice

Post by Dakhor » 18 Sep 2017 17:27

As tanky as they were you mean -> 90% spellfailure with 2 shields as it stands today means its not a viable option.

/DaK

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 18 Sep 2017 18:37

Dakhor wrote:As tanky as they were you mean -> 90% spellfailure with 2 shields as it stands today means its not a viable option.

/DaK

Wich is why I am all for their shieldspells to be better due to the armourloss so they atleast have some survivability, read everything or hush.

Snedecor
Wanderer

Post by Snedecor » 21 Sep 2017 04:17

I am all for meaningful solutions even if they look different than they do now and for realism, but there -has- to be a point where a game and realism go separate ways. I mean, I can carry 30 swords in a backpack and 20 torches. Let's be real here.

While realism adds a touch of fun, too much hindering realism will make the game drag. Now, where that level depends on the person, but I would daresay that based on genesis' history that the focus has been on realistic roleplay and not on realistic armaments/weaponry usage.

Based on that, I'm personally not seeing why the two shield thing was nerfed, and even wearing a tower shield creates significant problems when you cast as often as a SoHM does. Having said that meaningful and appropriate compensation through other means is something I'm happy to have in its place-it just seems unprecedented with the historical way the game has been run (not worrying about the realism of wearing platemail, or two shields, etc).

One simply accepts that within the donut they have such advanced platemail technology that it doesn't hinder you like platemail that we think of on earth.

But again, if realism is introduced in such a way that it does not put the undue burden, strain, or nerf a guild, absolutely. That's hard to accomplish, though, and I feel that in -this- case requires a rebalancing of the defensive spells, or, a return to the status quo.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 21 Sep 2017 07:40

I suspect this was done to encourage teaming. A SoHM with 2 shields could solo anything, now he has to go looking for a tank. Sounds good to me :)

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 21 Sep 2017 09:42

Rincon wrote:I suspect this was done to encourage teaming. A SoHM with 2 shields could solo anything, now he has to go looking for a tank. Sounds good to me :)
In my experience, a tank-specced sohm goes looking for a team to do damage. While you may be right that he or she can "solo anything", please understand that this has nothing to do with wearing two shields.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Sep 2017 12:44

nils wrote:
Rincon wrote:I suspect this was done to encourage teaming. A SoHM with 2 shields could solo anything, now he has to go looking for a tank. Sounds good to me :)
In my experience, a tank-specced sohm goes looking for a team to do damage. While you may be right that he or she can "solo anything", please understand that this has nothing to do with wearing two shields.
After reading his posts here on the forums.
I am not entirely sure "understanding" things is part of his deal.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/