Stat Modifiers - racial or otherwise ...

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should stat-mods (race-based, or otherwise) stay or go?

Keep them - as they are is fine
28%
Keep them - but change them!
51%
Remove them - no mods plz!
21%

Total votes: 68

Kas
Legend

Re: Stat Modifiers - racial or otherwise ...

Post by Kas » 08 Oct 2017 00:35

gorboth wrote:
...*weeps quietly*

G.

I lol'ed.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 08 Oct 2017 23:46

I voted keep them but change them.

I'm lazy so I'll just quote another post of mine from a while back for one suggestion on how to change them:
Mumon wrote:I like that races have advantages and disadvantages in stats.

However imho it's quite poorly implemented in Genesis.

A more balanced approach would be to define the +/- as % of the unmodified statavg of the character and have them balance out so the modified statavg equals the unmodified statavg.

A hypothetical example race with hypotetical stats not related to Genesis:

Race lizardman
----------------------
dex +10%
con +10%
int -10%
wis -10%

Unmodified stats (statavg 200):
------------------------------------------
str 250
dex 250
con 250
int 150
wis 150
dis 150

Modified stats (also statavg 200):
--------------------------------------------
str 250
dex 250 + (10% * 200) = 270
con 250 + (10% * 200) = 270
int 150 - (10% * 200) = 130
wis 150 - (10% * 200) = 130
dis 150

Knowing how the mudlib that Genesis is built on I think race stat bonuses/penalites should stay in the range +/- 10% to keep it balanced.
Reading the thread some other ideas occurred to me:

Idea 1:
Differentiate races further by to what level they are allowed to focus xp into different stats.
Hypothetical example: goblins are extra motivated to focus on strength and con so they can focus a bit more xp into those than avg (a human) but can never be bothered to focus as much as a human would on dex, int, wis, dis.

Idea 2:
Complement idea1 by adjusting max percentage of xp you can focus into a stat by your guilds. E.g. in an occ fighter guild you can focus more on str dex con because of better facilities.

Idea 3:
Perhaps limit idea 1 and 2 to 1 favourite stat per race/guild (occ guild allow the highest focus, craft guilds the least).
I.e with all guild slots filled you will have one fav stat from your base race and 4 more from your guilds (occ/lay/rac/craft). If you get the same fav stat from more than one place they would stack in some way.

Regarding the discussion whether this will solve all balance I agree that it won't. But I think it will be a nice start and a foundation to move on to for instance guild specials.

/M

Tommo
Beginner

Post by Tommo » 12 Nov 2017 19:59

As I am only just getting used to the game again, after a short break...

I think modifiers are fine and roughly right.. The game used to be SO heavily focused on activities which were basically based around the physical stats however so back in the day Goblins and to a lesser extent Dwarves were so overpowered compared to any other race, considering the range of activities in the game at the time. Now being back there does seem to have been a good amount of improvements to try and help the races with less physical abilities (more spell craft and herbalism etc)

Now I am not sure if the move to balance things has gone far enough as i am only getting to grips with things again but there certainly appears to have been a shift.. so for me keep modifiers but continue to look at balancing up the content for the non physical stats (if that makes any sense)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 30 Nov 2017 21:06

Any progress here?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 30 Nov 2017 21:12

Amberlee wrote:Any progress here?
Rofl, you wish

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 30 Nov 2017 21:15

Draugor wrote:
Rofl, you wish

I honestly do..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 30 Nov 2017 21:59

Amberlee wrote:
Draugor wrote:
Rofl, you wish

I honestly do..

2/3 out of the people that posted here seem to want some sort of change to it, either 100% equal or the majority going for lowering the insane differences, the inability the admin has to give a fuck about the players is astounding, kinda feels arrogant.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 Dec 2017 02:51

Draugor wrote: 2/3 out of the people that posted here seem to want some sort of change to it, either 100% equal or the majority going for lowering the insane differences, the inability the admin has to give a fuck about the players is astounding, kinda feels arrogant.
You're absolutely right, we don't care. Cotillion didn't care when he recently fixed the age old guild stat problem. Petros didn't care when he coded and ran a brand new event. Mirandus, as you know, doesn't care the slightest when he tirelessly sorts out problems players have. Arman didn't care about anything but himself when working on the countless of things he's created/fixed lately. Shall I go on?:)

You're honestly saying we don't give a f**k about players and are _arrogant_?? Really?

I think I won't bother spending my free time to run that Christmas lottery for you players this year. I do look forward to the wizday though! I have a specific target in mind.:)

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 01 Dec 2017 03:44

Cherek wrote:
Draugor wrote: 2/3 out of the people that posted here seem to want some sort of change to it, either 100% equal or the majority going for lowering the insane differences, the inability the admin has to give a fuck about the players is astounding, kinda feels arrogant.
You're absolutely right, we don't care. Cotillion didn't care when he recently fixed the age old guild stat problem. Petros didn't care when he coded and ran a brand new event. Mirandus, as you know, doesn't care the slightest when he tirelessly sorts out problems players have. Arman didn't care about anything but himself when working on the countless of things he's created/fixed lately. Shall I go on?:)

You're honestly saying we don't give a f**k about players and are _arrogant_?? Really?

I think I won't bother spending my free time to run that Christmas lottery for you players this year. I do look forward to the wizday though! I have a specific target in mind.:)
Well, I mean it has been one of the most requested things in the past 15 years or longer...

So you can't really fault players for feeling frustrated when we get shit all the time we don't even want (Who List). We get that it's your time and the rules of being a wizard are basically do what you want, but that doesn't lessen any frustration when a vast majority of us actually come together for once and can agree on something just to have it seem like it is ignored. To many it seems like a simple problem of changing values, maybe it isn't and maybe it's the most discussed topic in the world of wizards. But we don't see or hear -anything- not a peep but we hear of all kinds of other projects being worked on or see all kinds of other stuff being added. So it feels like once again this is something that will be swept under the rug and ignored/chalked up to no one could come to a consensus.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 01 Dec 2017 07:24

Not players as such, just their opinions :P Wich this thread seems kinda evident of

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/