Auction the other way around

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
mallor
Rising Hero

Auction the other way around

Post by mallor » 22 Oct 2017 18:58

Or personal player run kiosk, if you will. I'm starting to notice lately newbies drop lots of junk on auction. It both annoys bigger players, and disappoints newbies, since they can't really get any plats for the stuff they put. Now who on earth is going to pay for deadly rapier, right?

The idea is to give players possibility to state what they want to buy, instead of having to browse through what others have to offer. This would especially work very well for stackable items, i.e. potions/herbs. Newbie goes to kiosk and browses through various offers. Instead of going picking up junk and putting on auction, and mind you, newbies rarely know what sells good, he sees what bigger players need and goes hunting for that right away. This creates a clear win/win situation, where auction is not filled up with junk, bigger players get what they want and newbies get their plats much easier.

So let's say Mallor logs on, goes to kiosk and places an order for 100 skunk berries and deposits 100 plats. Player Noobster comes to kiosk and browses orders. He sees Mallor's order and realizes he just joined Gardeners and maxed herbalism. Damn, says Noobster, easy coin. He goes herbing and in an hour returns with 37 skunk berries. He then offers them at kiosk, and gets his 37 plats, happily skipping to AG to improve his skills. At the end of tedious and fatiguing grinding session Mallors passes by kiosk and happily retrieves skunk berries, Noobster and his buddy Noobcake offered on his order. Mallor is happy, because he doesn't need to grind for herbs as well, and can focus on tedious and fatiguing XP grinding.

P.S.

Yes, I'll wiz for it! :D

Melarec
Rising Hero

Re: Auction the other way around

Post by Melarec » 22 Oct 2017 22:21

mallor wrote: and can focus on tedious and fatiguing XP grinding.
You realize herbs give XP, right?

That aside, I believe this (or something similar) has been suggested in the past..
Still, it is quite a good idea and now--if there is someone willing and able to implement it--may be the time to give it a try.
I second this idea.

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 22 Oct 2017 22:32

Melarec wrote:You realize herbs give XP, right?
I wouldn't call it XP.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Oct 2017 05:13

mallor wrote:Yes, I'll wiz for it! :D
Done!

Seriously though, it IS a good idea. I remember some herbalist who did something like this manually. Don't remember his name, it was several years ago, but he posted everywhere to let people know he was selling herbs, and he set prices for various popular herbs that players could buy on a first come first served basis. I remember buying skunks from him several times. It was a very good service. I think people could put in requests too. So, he proved the concept works, even without code! But a coded system would be cool.

It could also provide quite useful for those who don't like EQ-hunting, or don't belong to a guild with awesome racks, to still get hold of prime equipment. Sure, the auction is useful for this already, but you still have to wait and hope something YOU want is auctioned out, instead of being able to request what you want yourself.

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 23 Oct 2017 07:09

Cherek wrote:
mallor wrote:Yes, I'll wiz for it! :D
Done!
*tests his new wizards powers*
*zaps Cherek with a lightning bolt*
*runs off waving his hands wildly and laughing maniacally*
Cherek wrote: Seriously though, it IS a good idea. I remember some herbalist who did something like this manually. Don't remember his name, it was several years ago, but he posted everywhere to let people know he was selling herbs, and he set prices for various popular herbs that players could buy on a first come first served basis. I remember buying skunks from him several times. It was a very good service. I think people could put in requests too. So, he proved the concept works, even without code! But a coded system would be cool.

It could also provide quite useful for those who don't like EQ-hunting, or don't belong to a guild with awesome racks, to still get hold of prime equipment. Sure, the auction is useful for this already, but you still have to wait and hope something YOU want is auctioned out, instead of being able to request what you want yourself.
That's exactly what I had in mind.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 Oct 2017 11:41

I "created" that spirit in that guy. Wish I remembered his name. I used to take aside noons regularly in creepy rp fashion offer them coin for tasks. He took to it like a duck to water.

Was herbing for profit filling big orders. Buying low and selling high. He started advertising etc.
Was buying and selling gems and leftovers too ( all spell components)
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 24 Oct 2017 13:55

Tarax: Was that Durga the wandering herbalist....?
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 30 Oct 2017 13:30

mallor wrote:Or personal player run kiosk, if you will. I'm starting to notice lately newbies drop lots of junk on auction. It both annoys bigger players, and disappoints newbies, since they can't really get any plats for the stuff they put. Now who on earth is going to pay for deadly rapier, right?

The idea is to give players possibility to state what they want to buy, instead of having to browse through what others have to offer. This would especially work very well for stackable items, i.e. potions/herbs. Newbie goes to kiosk and browses through various offers. Instead of going picking up junk and putting on auction, and mind you, newbies rarely know what sells good, he sees what bigger players need and goes hunting for that right away. This creates a clear win/win situation, where auction is not filled up with junk, bigger players get what they want and newbies get their plats much easier.

So let's say Mallor logs on, goes to kiosk and places an order for 100 skunk berries and deposits 100 plats. Player Noobster comes to kiosk and browses orders. He sees Mallor's order and realizes he just joined Gardeners and maxed herbalism. Damn, says Noobster, easy coin. He goes herbing and in an hour returns with 37 skunk berries. He then offers them at kiosk, and gets his 37 plats, happily skipping to AG to improve his skills. At the end of tedious and fatiguing grinding session Mallors passes by kiosk and happily retrieves skunk berries, Noobster and his buddy Noobcake offered on his order. Mallor is happy, because he doesn't need to grind for herbs as well, and can focus on tedious and fatiguing XP grinding.

P.S.

Yes, I'll wiz for it! :D
This is a fantastic idea. Someone code this NAUW!
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/