what quests can deny you full xp?

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alteor
Adept

what quests can deny you full xp?

Post by Alteor » 18 Dec 2017 14:24

I learned a couple quests if you do the wrong way, won't give you full xp and you can't fix it.

But.... is there a list of quests I need to pay extra attention?

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: what quests can deny you full xp?

Post by Cherek » 18 Dec 2017 16:46

Alteor wrote:I learned a couple quests if you do the wrong way, won't give you full xp and you can't fix it.

But.... is there a list of quests I need to pay extra attention?
Don't think anyone can say for sure. Quests have been made in very different ways during the years, and different domains have had different ways of doing things during the years. I can at least suggest being extra careful when questing in Ansalon and Krynn, especially on the more complex quests. Also pay attention on what the NPCs actually say, and do what they tell you to do without shortcuts, also in some quests they actually tell you that you will not get a full reward if you don't do it "right".

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 18 Dec 2017 18:25

Heres the thing about not getting the full exp though, lets say you do every quest but dont get the full exp on those that can give 1/4 - 3/4 instead. I was told (so without a current wiz confirming take it as a rumor) that even if you dont get the full amount the amount you'll be missing barely reaches 'good' amount of progress. So yes while it is missing qexp, its not going to be the difference between reaching Myth and not.

I can tell you which ones I know because I've done them both ways, such as Knights Armour quest in Krynn and Disks. And there are others which can only be speculated on such as whether or not you get more exp for finding BOTH injured Elves in the Qualinesti forest and speaking with the dwarven merchant for the Rescue Prisoner Quest rather than just running straight to the prisoner.

Anyways its best not to worry too much about it, just do the quests the best you can.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Dec 2017 01:43

Yes Greneth, based on my knowledge, which is based on actual knowledge of the code in some quests, and just general knowledge about the quest XP numbers players can reach, I can confirm that the amount a player might lose from not getting full rewards in a few quests will be more or less negligible in the end anyway. The majority of quests do NOT have variable rewards, and it's not likely a player would "fail" on all of the quests with variable rewards either.

Personally I think we should try to fix this, so you simply can't complete a quest unless you've done it the correct way. Of course first someone needs to go through the code for all our quests and create a list of quests to fix...

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 13 Jan 2018 20:16

The quest where you are asked to return a clan standard from a minotaur chieftain near Solace is supposed to have a "full" completion, a lesser one, and a third option is to complete it at another person than the questgiver.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 13 Jan 2018 22:27

Drazson wrote:The quest where you are asked to return a clan standard from a minotaur chieftain near Solace is supposed to have a "full" completion, a lesser one, and a third option is to complete it at another person than the questgiver.
Wonder who's responsible for that one;-)

It's easy to say that the exp is negligible.... this sounds like än easy fix...even backlogs with compensation should be warrant for.

Just like the statement that the xp modifier was Only for a selective few and hardly anyone who benefit still plays...i call bull#$@$@ when i hear it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jan 2018 16:33

Chanele wrote:
Drazson wrote:The quest where you are asked to return a clan standard from a minotaur chieftain near Solace is supposed to have a "full" completion, a lesser one, and a third option is to complete it at another person than the questgiver.
Wonder who's responsible for that one;-)

It's easy to say that the exp is negligible.... this sounds like än easy fix...even backlogs with compensation should be warrant for.

Just like the statement that the xp modifier was Only for a selective few and hardly anyone who benefit still plays...i call bull#$@$@ when i hear it.
I've always said the best solution is to fix the quests. But until that happens, I think it's good for everyone to know the amount of quest XP you risk losing isn't that big, since there aren't that many of those quests (I think!), and most players will do them "right" anyway, especially since most solutions include all steps, and some even warn you about not doing certain steps yourself. Many quests also stop you from solving it, and lets you try again later, in case you for example just found some quest item on the floor, and never did the parts in the quests. I think there may be a couple of quests where you are required to kill something, where need to be part of the fight. There is even rumoured to be at least one quest where you need to land the killing blow, but I am not sure if that is true or not. But we're not talking about a lot of quests here. So yeah, in the big picture I think the XP you risk losing is pretty negligible.

When it comes to the Toron standard quest, which I made many years ago, the NPC makes it extremely clear to you when you turn in the standard if you risk losing XP. If you try to turn the the standard in without the case, he will tell you to confirm that you accept less than full XP, or you can go out and find the case for a full reward. You decide. He does the same if you haven't completed the quest yourself and just found the standard somewhere. Again, you get to confirm the smaller reward, or redo the quest and do it "right". So if players end up with a smaller reward on that quest, they chose it themselves. And if they decided to not even read that the NPC said to them, (he says it twice), well, we what can you do. At some point players need to take some responsibility for their actions too.:)

Now, I made this quest as a newbie wizard many years ago, when the Krynn standard was to do quests like this. I am now generally against these types of quests, but at least the Toron standard quest gives you a choice. I think it's worse when you don't even know you get less XP, or what you did wrong. That said, if I would recode the quest from scratch I would make it so you can't even get the reward unless you have both the standard and the case, and you did all steps yourself. That would eliminate any potential problems, and in a perfect world that's how I think all quests should function.

Now, recoding the majority of all 300+ quests is... well, a daunting project to say the least. Fixing up the ones with variable rewards should in theory be easier, like you said, but probably not as easy as you think. The main issue here I think is identifying them, since you'd have to dig through the code for ALL quests in the game. Code from hundreds of different wizards spread over thousands of files in all domains, some commented and readable, some just huge uncommented files with tons of code in them. It's easy to spend 5 minutes writing a reply here saying you think it's an easy fix. But are you willing to spend the amount of time needed to fix it? If anyone volunteers, they will surely be taken serious in their request.

As for compensating players, that's pretty impossible since all we can see is who did a quest. Not how big of a reward they got. It's not possible under the current system. We've talked about this many times before here on the forums, and upstairs too, and the only way to make that happen is to redo the entire quest system, redo the rewards, and redo the QXP for all players. Doing this could also fix the XP multiplier issue. This project was once started, but didn't really get far, and it has not been restarted due to lack of interested wizards to take it on.

As for the current XP multiplier fix, it was always a band-aid solution, that at least evens out the advantage a bit. Nobody has said it removes the advantage completely, but until someone decides to redo the quest system, I think that's the best we can hope for. Or what solution do you propose?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 15 Jan 2018 14:56

Oh on another note, I remember LOSING exp for failing the maths quest in Gelan. Since then I have been afraid to retry. What's up with that?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Jan 2018 23:44

Drazson wrote:Oh on another note, I remember LOSING exp for failing the maths quest in Gelan. Since then I have been afraid to retry. What's up with that?
Uhm... I know you lose mana, but XP? What makes you say that? You're mean that your progress counter actually went backwards when failing the quest?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 16 Jan 2018 01:18

Cherek wrote:Uhm... I know you lose mana, but XP? What makes you say that? You're mean that your progress counter actually went backwards when failing the quest?
I might awfully wrong but I remember seeing "you feel less experienced". Maybe it was a youngster's panick and I should just retry it by now. I mentioned here in case there was such a notion, if not I will try to complete it again soon and report here :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/