(Newbie) Planning to be Ranger of the Westlands

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should I choose half-elf or dunedain? What two stats should I prioritize?

Poll ended at 08 Feb 2018 05:10

Half-Elf
13%
Dunedain
17%
Dexterity
10%
Wisdom
13%
Strength
20%
Intelligence
7%
Charisma
7%
Constitution
13%

Total votes: 30

Millerfax
Greenhorne

(Newbie) Planning to be Ranger of the Westlands

Post by Millerfax » 19 Jan 2018 05:10

Hello, I am Millerfax, and I am very new, I recently made it to Sparkle from the tutorial.
If I plan to be a ranger, what stats should I prioritize early on? Also, if it matters, I would like to know should I plan to join the Dunedain or the half-elves in the future considering this choice. How does dexterity function in this game? Is it similiar to Dnd, where it helps you dodge and makes hitting targets with bows, rapiers, and daggers easier?
Thanks, Millerfax

Amberlee
Myth

Re: (Newbie) Planning to be Ranger of the Westlands

Post by Amberlee » 19 Jan 2018 05:45

Elf based half-elf.
Focus on con and str.
Perhaps toggle a bit of dex in it just to keep them even.
int and wis will come by itself.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alteor
Adept

Post by Alteor » 19 Jan 2018 05:57

this is if you want to min-max the build.

For RP rangers are sorely lacking Dunedain... but I understand why (Dunedain stats are shit and their skills don't compensate, and their guild don't give anything else, no messenger or horse or whatever, only skills)

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 19 Jan 2018 07:28

Rangers in this game are like dnd. Fighters with supporting magic.
Although here they are not damagedealers, but more sustained warriors.

Dunedain or Half-elf only gives flavor effects here. They are a layer upon your race.

The real choice is between elf or human. Elves are bad in melee, but good in magic. Humans are average.

If you focus on melee stats, the common perception is that strength and constitution have the most to say. For magic, it is intelligence and wisdom.
However, since Rangers aren't super fighters and don't have super magical abilities, i'd argue for both. The only way to do that is keeping even stats.

I never played a ranger though. Just other guilds where melee was preferred. I never been dissatisfied with using even stats, or felt i was way worse than all other characters running around.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 19 Jan 2018 22:41

IF you're expecting Aragorn, aka asswhooping everything in sight, you'll be soooooorely dissapointed...

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 20 Jan 2018 01:10

Ranger of the Westlands in Genesis is not "Ranger" in DnD. Basically you're a multiclass using both melee combat and cleric spells.

You want to keep even stats to utilize both parts equally.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 20 Jan 2018 02:26

I'd focus wisdom first then dexterity to max-min. If you wan to play for more RP, choose Dunedain, we need more of those but if you go elf-based half-elf you'll get to use a lot of elf only equipment that is quite useful and powerful.

Your damage will primarily come from the special of your layman guild. The Rangers of the Westlands are a sustain/support role but are quite fun when a bunch are teamed up :twisted:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/