Lockers.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Re: Lockers.

Post by Drazson » 12 Feb 2018 18:39

Make this thing seconds-wide.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 12 Feb 2018 20:32

Drazson wrote:Make this thing seconds-wide.

Hence why you could make em useable by one char only. Put it in your locker? Its yours. Period.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 Feb 2018 22:00

I'm late to the party here - been a while since I had RL time to keep up with the forum.

Lockers are contrary to the core design of Genesis which stipulates that players do not log in with saved gear. A locker is perfectly saved gear, just not on your character. Thus, it will not be made available as is being requested to the Mercenary (or any) guild.

Guild council rooms functioning as personal or small-group lockers is a valid argument, but one we accept as part of the bargain if you are hard-working enough to find yourself elected or earning such positions. Guild council positions do not just happen - they are merited by much work over time to either gain whatever is required by the guild system, or enough political and relational prestige to be elected by votes of your peers or appointment of your predecessor. Unless you are a Kender. Contratulations, Kvator. Enjoy your guildhall-shaped locker.

I designed the current Mercs, so I can take all the credit for the current woes of the droproom system there. I designed it to be thematic, which it hopefully is, with its three factions within the guild (good, evil, neutral.) But I can absolutely see how it is frail and unreliable for storage of elite gear. If I were to consider implementing anything to address what is being requested here, it would be something like a Merc npc who stands around and is willing to hold a few items of gear for whoever will pay him the most. This would also be unreliable, because he could be bribed to give up what he is holding if you want to outpay whoever paid him to hold the stuff. But if you are a rich myth and want to spend 10K plats, maybe no one would be willing to pay him to have your stuff. I'm not going to code that right now, though. Too much else going on.

Globally, there are two things I have considered. One is lockers that are given out as event rewards. These would be personal lockers that hold as much gear as you want for certain periods of time. I could imagine giving a locker to the top winner that would last a month, and to all top 10 finishers that last a week. That sort of thing. The other thing which requires some thought is imbuements. I very much respect the time and hard work (or amazing luck) that goes into acquiring incredibly good and rare imbued items. For this, I would likely want to code something with the enchanter (Karkadelt) himself, in which he would be willing to hold imbued items for people for certain amounts of money. The issue here is that I would want to prevent people from looting droprooms of imbued items and then taking them to Karkadelt. I'd need to look into finding a way to track original ownership/creation of the imbued items. The other thing I would want to avoid is people seeing their favorite piece of gear (crystal axe, whatnot) in a droproom, spending a throwaway stone on it to imbue it, and then having Karkadelt store it for them. These types of abuse would ruin the system.

Those are my thoughts/reactions to this issue.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Poultry
Apprentice

Post by Poultry » 22 Feb 2018 04:27

gorboth wrote:I'm late to the party here - been a while since I had RL time to keep up with the forum.

Lockers are contrary to the core design of Genesis which stipulates that players do not log in with saved gear. A locker is perfectly saved gear, just not on your character. Thus, it will not be made available as is being requested to the Mercenary (or any) guild.

Guild council rooms functioning as personal or small-group lockers is a valid argument, but one we accept as part of the bargain if you are hard-working enough to find yourself elected or earning such positions. Guild council positions do not just happen - they are merited by much work over time to either gain whatever is required by the guild system, or enough political and relational prestige to be elected by votes of your peers or appointment of your predecessor. Unless you are a Kender. Contratulations, Kvator. Enjoy your guildhall-shaped locker.

I designed the current Mercs, so I can take all the credit for the current woes of the droproom system there. I designed it to be thematic, which it hopefully is, with its three factions within the guild (good, evil, neutral.) But I can absolutely see how it is frail and unreliable for storage of elite gear. If I were to consider implementing anything to address what is being requested here, it would be something like a Merc npc who stands around and is willing to hold a few items of gear for whoever will pay him the most. This would also be unreliable, because he could be bribed to give up what he is holding if you want to outpay whoever paid him to hold the stuff. But if you are a rich myth and want to spend 10K plats, maybe no one would be willing to pay him to have your stuff. I'm not going to code that right now, though. Too much else going on.

Globally, there are two things I have considered. One is lockers that are given out as event rewards. These would be personal lockers that hold as much gear as you want for certain periods of time. I could imagine giving a locker to the top winner that would last a month, and to all top 10 finishers that last a week. That sort of thing. The other thing which requires some thought is imbuements. I very much respect the time and hard work (or amazing luck) that goes into acquiring incredibly good and rare imbued items. For this, I would likely want to code something with the enchanter (Karkadelt) himself, in which he would be willing to hold imbued items for people for certain amounts of money. The issue here is that I would want to prevent people from looting droprooms of imbued items and then taking them to Karkadelt. I'd need to look into finding a way to track original ownership/creation of the imbued items. The other thing I would want to avoid is people seeing their favorite piece of gear (crystal axe, whatnot) in a droproom, spending a throwaway stone on it to imbue it, and then having Karkadelt store it for them. These types of abuse would ruin the system.

G.
I get that lockers are contrary to Genesis' core principles. I agree too. However, I'd still like a locker. I've put some thought into it, and here's how I'd solve some of the problems:

1) Put the lockers in an annoying place--make it like a two boat ride. That way, people have to REALLY want to use the lockers.
2) Charge per item. The better the item, the higher the cost. Pay to deposit, pay to extract.
3) Have a max number of items.
4) Make it raid-able, similar to a bank robbery, but perhaps with the unfortunate side effect of people knowing who did the job.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 22 Feb 2018 04:40

gorboth wrote:I'm late to the party here - been a while since I had RL time to keep up with the forum.

G.

All well and good.
But makes guilds like mercs useless to join unless you have a layman with a good rack system like Lay AA or EW.
Why would you get good gear only to have a lowbie second log on and loot it from racks and sell it on auction or give to their main?
Why on earth would you want to waste imbues on that too?
Get your head out of 2 decades ago and try to see how the game is NOW.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Feb 2018 06:21

G.
Like I said, max number of items to counter hoarding AND if I deposit it on char A I cant use it on char B, soulbind it to the owner of the locker, this would prevent the scenarion we spoke about when it comes to myths using novice alts to rack shit, making changes is good and also needed, changes like this for instance. Not adding new and very annoying levels to HP that people need to re-adjust to and crap.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Feb 2018 06:26

Or, I just do like I discussed in my lengthy and detailed response with thematic solutions. Lockers are not going to happen the way you want.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Feb 2018 06:26

gorboth wrote:Or, I just do like I discussed in my lengthy and detailed response with thematic solutions. Lockers are not going to happen the way you want.

G.
Thanks for proving players dont matter :)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Feb 2018 06:30

I see no reason to say that. The players are bringing up problems, and I am suggesting thematic solutions. If the players didn't matter, I wouldn't bother. If I refuse to fix problems the way people want, does that mean I don't care about them if I fix them in a way that I believe is best for the game? ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Feb 2018 06:41

gorboth wrote:I see no reason to say that. The players are bringing up problems, and I am suggesting thematic solutions. If the players didn't matter, I wouldn't bother. If I refuse to fix problems the way people want, does that mean I don't care about them if I fix them in a way that I believe is best for the game? ;-)

G.

You're not fixing it tho :P You're fixing it for SOME people that have the time to waste on events, not for the guild where its needed AND thematic, why would a mercenary have ANY inclination to share with anyone in a rack style? Pretty half-assed mercenary encampment if it doesent offer some sort of decent storage of gear. Its kinda like the wholist we have, its stupid aswell as horrible thematicwise and should never have been made. Lockers are an awesome idea AND makes sense themewise and SHOULD be made. Walk up and join guilds suffer from this plague, its easy to fix, but for reasons unknown as I have not heard anything but "Nope." so far and nothing even comming close to an argument.

Its a guildwide problem, not gamewide since most guild have a racksystem in place, you make a named pack and throw in the rack for instance, touch it and you get tossed out. Its how it works in alot of guilds and its doable there. Or made named sybarus packs untouchable in the mercrack, alltho THAT would lead to hoarding since they can hold quite alot.

But no, making something that people would actually have any sort of benefit from is a bad idea I assume :P

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/