Calof/Baxter alignment?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Calof/Baxter alignment?

Post by gorboth » 22 Feb 2018 00:40

sylphan wrote:
gorboth wrote:I wonder if we could fold these issues into the previously debated issue of there being relatively little utility to the dis stat?

Perhaps we could introduce a way to focus alignment similar to how we allow focus on certain stats in AG meditation rooms. You could focus toward good/evil depending on which direction you wish to progress. Then, the ratio of your dis stat to your stat ave could act as a modifier to control how much impact your focus has on your progression. If you have a dis higher than your stat ave, for example, you might be able to get a x2-5 modifier to your alignment progression based on the ratio.

An idea.
G.
Except I fail to see what discipline has to do with alignment. Other than it being a fairly random way of inviting people to care about discipline.
Thematically, it could certainly be a logical stat to apply toward alignment in my estimation.

More than any other stat, it is discipline that would involve:
  • Dedication to a pursuit (such pursuits are often called a "discipline")
  • Attempting to better one's self (either for good or evil)
  • Spiritual direction in life
  • Resolve when tested by the pleas of your foe
To me, all of these play perfectly into the concept of alignment and how you earn it in Genesis.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 22 Feb 2018 00:43

gorboth wrote:I wonder if we could fold these issues into the previously debated issue of there being relatively little utility to the dis stat?

Perhaps we could introduce a way to focus alignment similar to how we allow focus on certain stats in AG meditation rooms. You could focus toward good/evil depending on which direction you wish to progress. Then, the ratio of your dis stat to your stat ave could act as a modifier to control how much impact your focus has on your progression. If you have a dis higher than your stat ave, for example, you might be able to get a x2-5 modifier to your alignment progression based on the ratio.

An idea.
G.
That could work... although I reckon it should be a combo of discipline and wisdom that impacts alignment. The concept of good vs evil is a philosophical one, where the speed of change towards a particular alignment would be impacted by ones enlightenment (wisdom)... whether it was unpacking the meaning of what a 'good' action really is, or freeing oneself from social expectations and contracts and embracing a 'might is right' philosophy or the glory of the anarchist.

A disciplined mind would limit any slide away from your ideal alignment... so maybe with a discipline higher than your average stats you could largely kill anything without it impacting negatively on your alignment at all?

Initially I had issues with how that would work with those who were moralists and goodly, but then I considered the actions of the Kingpriest of Istar and his Knights of the Hammer... they were good in their mind, but were the architects to some of the greatest atrocities Krynn ever saw.

It would be a big dynamic change for Genesis... it would completely free up killing grounds that were alignment focused. So I reckon something worth trying?

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 22 Feb 2018 00:49

gorboth wrote:
sylphan wrote:

An idea.
G.
Except I fail to see what discipline has to do with alignment. Other than it being a fairly random way of inviting people to care about discipline.
Thematically, it could certainly be a logical stat to apply toward alignment in my estimation.

More than any other stat, it is discipline that would involve:
  • Dedication to a pursuit (such pursuits are often called a "discipline")
  • Attempting to better one's self (either for good or evil)
  • Spiritual direction in life
  • Resolve when tested by the pleas of your foe
To me, all of these play perfectly into the concept of alignment and how you earn it in Genesis.

G.
Your third point makes sense, but the others seem a bit redundant. Dedication to a pursuit is implicit in what / whom you choose to kill. Ditto on resolve - no kill, no change in alignment. Your second point, I guess, but it still seems pretty close to one's choice of how often and what to hunt.

I'll say this. If any stat is linked to alignment, I would mind it being tied to DIS the least. But stats and alignment being linked at all seems odd to me.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 22 Feb 2018 00:55

Im just speaking purely from a players perspective, with that change there would still be no reason for me to focus Dis at all. All the other stats there is a reason someone would choose to focus them. If you're going Kender/Thief generally Dex/Str, Fighter generally Str/Dex or if going Off Tank Str/Con, Tanker Con/Dex or Con/Str, Spellcaster Wis/Int. I'd much rather see a change that gives someone a reason to actually toss Dis into the Focus group.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Feb 2018 01:05

That's a good point, Greneth. We do want to use something that matters to people.

G
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 03 Jun 2018 12:59

half an hour on the bloodsea: foul ->unsympathetic. That doesn't sound right.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 03 Jun 2018 13:22

Zugzug wrote:half an hour on the bloodsea: foul ->unsympathetic. That doesn't sound right.
Killing what?

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 03 Jun 2018 14:05

Just turtles, sharks and serpents. Have to reset them all to get a chance to get more dragon turtles.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Jun 2018 14:16

Zugzug wrote:Just turtles, sharks and serpents. Have to reset them all to get a chance to get more dragon turtles.
I am pretty sure dragon turtles, like most dragons, have evil align?

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 03 Jun 2018 14:34

Cherek wrote:
Zugzug wrote:Just turtles, sharks and serpents. Have to reset them all to get a chance to get more dragon turtles.
I am pretty sure dragon turtles, like most dragons, have evil align?
Thanks for pointing that out. However, Arman did mention previously in this thread that some NPCs were "extra-evil", having more than the normal effect on killers alignment, and a quick round on the bloodsea should not drop me that much. All those creatures are tiny (compared to me), so should have barely noticeable align-hit.

Unfortunately, all evil melee people (all 3 of us, lol!) are still competing for the chance to kill Baxter every day, as any prolonged xp-grind will push us towards good-aligned.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/