Does your gender matter?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Re: Does your gender matter?

Post by Arman » 14 Jun 2018 01:43

Raelle wrote:
sylphan wrote:I'd like to see greater balance, though, just in terms of the ways NPCs respond to male and female characters. Why do no male characters flaunt themselves the way the barrista in the Mercafe does? Why are only female characters dancers and seductors? The male NPCs in Avenir leer at females (not males), but female NPCs never let their eyes linger over males (nor females). In short, this game represents females as objects, not subjects, of (hetero)sexual desire.
I don't feel the need to have any sexy male NPCs in Genesis, but I've noticed the same trends as Sylphan.

Also, none of the brothels will accept Raelle as a client, and furthermore,

"The sneaky male halfling's slender sharp rapier launches straight at you, but only manages to get entangled in your beard."

Entangled in my what, now?
Now you are just being racist. A bearded dwarven lass is the heights of feminine!

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 14 Jun 2018 03:45

Whiskers! Give me whiskers if you must.

p.s.

Code: Select all

> dtug
You have no beard to tug on!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jun 2018 03:57

My thoughts about Genesis content:

Genesis IS definitely sexist in many ways. Large parts were created by guys in their 20-30s who got their inspiration from fantasy books/games, etc in the 80s and 90s, and let's face it, much of 80/90s fantasy is sexist by today's standards. Or, well by any standard, but people's mindset and awareness have changed since then.

Although I think the male focus in the game is also partly due to the simple fact that the large majority of wizards have been, and still are, men, and write from a man's perspective. It's simply hard to write from another gender's perspective unless you're a very skilled writer, and even skilled writers argue that men can't write women and vice versa. And especially for amateur writers it's easy to use clichés and stereotypes. And it's not only gender stereotypes. Most NPCs/races/guilds etc in the game are also very clear stereotypes in other aspects. I believe it's mainly because Genesis is not created by professional writers, and it's much easier to do things like they always have been, and you think people expect, than to challenge the stereotypes. It's also riskier to do so, and if you're new to something you tend to pick the safe route. Which in this case often tend to become a bit stereotype and/or sexist.

Interestingly though, in terms of guilds there is one guild that male characters can't join, and another guild where only female characters can be leaders. But I do not think there are any guilds female characters can't join and/or lead? Unless I am forgetting something. So from that aspect, being a female character comes with some benefits.

When it comes to male/female players:

If you play a female character, and people know you are a woman iRL, or do NOT know you are a man iRL:

Pros: You are likely to receives gifts from male characters and will have no trouble playing the "damsel in distress"-card and get a whole bunch of guys to help you out with quests, take you grinding, etc. If this is good or bad probably depends on the player. I know some use this on purpose and like doing it, but I bet others also find it annoying and don't want this kind of help?

Cons: Unfortunately you are also likely to be sexually harassed, have a lot of guys flirt with you, try to get to know you personally, connect with you on Skype/FB/Discord, etc. Having been AoP I have learned there are plenty of guys in Genesis (more than I thought sadly) who treat women quite badly. I think most believe they are just "flirting", but fail miserably at it. Some guys also tend to look down on women playing games, and won't think they can be as good at it, etc. I guess this should be no surprise as this is also how the world outside Genesis looks, but it still sucks.

If you play a male character, or a female character that people know is a guy iRL:

Pros: You're unlikely to suffer sexual harassment.

Cons: I can't really think of much. I guess it can be harder to charm other guys to helping you out with stuff..? Anyone got anything else?

Women iRL playing male characters:
I remember a poll about this not so long ago and it was just a tiny percentage in this category. I can't think of anyone, past or present, who was/is a woman iRL but played a male character. Anyone out there who fits in this category and can tell us about it?

So, to summarize, I think you are treated quite differently by other players in Genesis depending on your iRL gender. Of course, often people will assume your iRL gender based on your character's gender, unless your iRL gender becomes a well-known fact. If that happens, how you are treated will depend on your iRL gender, not your character's gender.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 14 Jun 2018 04:06

Sure does matter if you want to claim your own Drow House! Where are my male only racials!

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it really makes that big of a difference.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 14 Jun 2018 07:45

Funny part is that my female dwarf had to deal with much more attempts of flirting, always by younger players and mostly elves, than my main char had to go through with.

I also notice that a lot of young male chars get a lot of help from older players. The older community is very loyal to this game, and not out there to ruin it. People like to team a lot, and most of them dont mind giving money to younger ones or to take one with them on an hunt. The older players of Genesis i dont see flirting much.

So yeah i do think it matters a bit, at first for sure, but in the long run, if you are here to stick for years, it all depends on how willing you are to be part of the community.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Berwyn
Veteran

Post by Berwyn » 14 Jun 2018 09:26

Elves, they always plot their deceitful tricks, and who has to clean the mess up? Dark Lord. You probably have been had had Goldbezie, I tell you don't team up with Elves.

As another thought on sexism and stereotypes, Genesis is very transgressive, and I like it as it is. Afterall it's imagination and where else can you afford going off the limits? There is also dark side to explore and we have a team of creators here who take care about breaking rules.

b.
Evil to him who evil thinks.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 14 Jun 2018 10:22

gold bezie wrote:Funny part is that my female dwarf had to deal with much more attempts of flirting, always by younger players and mostly elves, than my main char had to go through with.

I also notice that a lot of young male chars get a lot of help from older players. The older community is very loyal to this game, and not out there to ruin it. People like to team a lot, and most of them dont mind giving money to younger ones or to take one with them on an hunt. The older players of Genesis i dont see flirting much.

So yeah i do think it matters a bit, at first for sure, but in the long run, if you are here to stick for years, it all depends on how willing you are to be part of the community.

We like short chicks? O_O

sanceline
Beginner

Post by sanceline » 19 Jun 2018 18:30

Cherek wrote:My thoughts about Genesis content:

Cons: Unfortunately you are also likely to be sexually harassed, have a lot of guys flirt with you, try to get to know you personally, connect with you on Skype/FB/Discord, etc. Having been AoP I have learned there are plenty of guys in Genesis (more than I thought sadly) who treat women quite badly. I think most believe they are just "flirting", but fail miserably at it.

[
I think you're right in the "connections" portion. I don't find that I have a lot of harassment playing Sanceline- for a long time before I made solid friends I hung out with one (1) girl and politely asked bigger players to take me along on their hunt. If anything I bugged OTHER people to be my friend.

When you join OOC places like Discord, once people find out you're an ACTUAL GIRL they sometimes go a bit nuts.

Rangar
Beginner

Post by Rangar » 19 Jun 2018 18:57

Draugor wrote:
gold bezie wrote:Funny part is that my female dwarf had to deal with much more attempts of flirting, always by younger players and mostly elves, than my main char had to go through with.

We like short chicks? O_O
Love knows no bounds.
Female dwarf and a male elf.
Source: http://batonyzbetonu.blogspot.com/2015/ ... st_81.html

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/