Recent changes to crits and rng

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dakhor
Apprentice

Recent changes to crits and rng

Post by Dakhor » 19 Jun 2018 10:05

Ok it is time to address this.

I do not approve of the recent changes to the whay rng works for NPC:s in the game - Its what I can only call a re-implementation of massive critical hits to the game.

First there is the Mage / Urian combo that I have slain countless times post upgrade without issue until the last time when not only was I permastunned by Urian but also the Mage critted me 5 times in a row.

And also now the Jadestone not only heals from terribly hurt to feeling very well in one go but ALSO brings me down to in a very bad shape with 2 hits! 2 HITS!!!

There are other changes as well.

Whats the next step? Jeti that one shot all Myths “occasionally” to keep player size in check?

/DaC

Mersereau
Champion

Re: Recent changes to crits and rng

Post by Mersereau » 19 Jun 2018 12:31

Huh?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 19 Jun 2018 12:45

Dakhor wrote:Ok it is time to address this.

I do not approve of the recent changes to the whay rng works for NPC:s in the game - Its what I can only call a re-implementation of massive critical hits to the game.

First there is the Mage / Urian combo that I have slain countless times post upgrade without issue until the last time when not only was I permastunned by Urian but also the Mage critted me 5 times in a row.

And also now the Jadestone not only heals from terribly hurt to feeling very well in one go but ALSO brings me down to in a very bad shape with 2 hits! 2 HITS!!!

Whats the next step? Jeti that one shot all Myths “occasionally” to keep player size in check?

/DaC
Not sure what you're on about, but sometimes NPC's throw fits and beat the shit outa people

Kinda like Greenie, sometimes you can solo her as a champ and sometimes she will beat the living snot out of a myth, its kinda random, skills and size just increase your chances.

Dakhor
Apprentice

Post by Dakhor » 19 Jun 2018 13:08

Draugor wrote:
Dakhor wrote:Ok it is time to address this.

/DaC
Not sure what you're on about, but sometimes NPC's throw fits and beat the shit outa people

Kinda like Greenie, sometimes you can solo her as a champ and sometimes she will beat the living snot out of a myth, its kinda random, skills and size just increase your chances.

Jadestone takes supreme con down to in a very bad shape with her first 2 hits? You call this random? If I had wimpy set lower I would have been dead if she did a third crit.

/DaC

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 19 Jun 2018 13:34

Nothing has been changed recently from a global point of view.

Urian was coded a few months back to be a much greater challenge.. with also much greater rewards. Don't think there have been any changes to Jadestone that I have been made aware of.

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 19 Jun 2018 13:44

Random numbers are exactly that. Random.

I've had similar experiences with different mobs in the past. You know/expect a certain outcome of said encounters because that's the "norm". Throw in some randomness and you likely had 2 extreme cases of very bad luck. It's like winning the lottery, but in reverse. Is someone out to get you? Highly doubtful. Was this a massive change with zero communication from the administration? Likely not. Does it suck? Yes. Were you expecting it? Nope! Why are you feeling this way? Probably because dying sucks, and it's a ton of time/work to recover the larger you are.

Do you recognize the extreme cases where those encounters went the other direction? Where all your specials maxed out their damage and the encounter was a breeze? Likely not.

Perception does not always equal reality.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 19 Jun 2018 16:09

YEs, that is random. Greenie has been either a pussycat or a complete monster randomly for ages, sometimes you can kill her as a champ, sometimes she will beat the living **** out of myths. Its how the game is, random.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 19 Jun 2018 17:12

Something else to consider as well, you don't get to see if a NPC has imbuements on. That doesn't mean that they're not in effect though.

Toferth
Wanderer

Post by Toferth » 19 Jun 2018 19:39

Random numbers are exactly that. Random.
No they're not. Also what matters is their distribution. Standard deviation. Value boundaries. And other math stuff I forgot.

As far as I know (some) modern games "cheat" with RNG to make it look more fair. Not sure if gen does that.
The reason why they do it is not to have temple orc single shooting myth (also to adapt difficulty and make it more exciting, but that won't work for Gen obviously).

What games need is (some) predictability. "I killed X 100 times in a row ending at feeling well - it is not possible X will single shot kill me next time".
Even if that NPC gets heavy recode - it should be either announced (as it was with Urian) or done gradually so npc gets harder every arma or so.

That rule should *especially* apply to npc's you can't run away from (because they block, stun, whatever).
Or that can harm seriously (I remember mage before beast - killed it once with no problem - no eq damage, second time he almost broke all my stuff the moment fight started - like 3-4 clouds in row).

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 20 Jun 2018 07:31

Bring back old criticals, totally fair and reasonable.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/