PC Gamer to feature Genesis

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mersereau
Champion

Re: PC Gamer to feature Genesis

Post by Mersereau » 05 Aug 2018 07:14

A screenshot is actual evidence non-licensed content exists.

It would basically be a smoking gun.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 05 Aug 2018 08:45

If the Admin is seriously thinking that Genesis will get a C&D from some of the IP-owners that are in the game, then why are the Admin drawing attention to Genesis with these articles in the first place?
Let alone making it known right on the games own site, that the game contains such IP-related content?

The article is, I presume, a chance to draw attention to the game and show off what would be the biggest draw for potential players, and if that's the case, then we're doing ourselves a disservice by not showing off Middle Earth and perhaps Krynn.

The "smoking gun" is literally already on the Genesis site, in this forum and every player that spends enough time to get out of the tutorial will know instantly that there are content related to IP-related universes. It's mentioned in the Google Play Store and on Microsofts store, that Genesis is based on popular fantasy literature. It's never been a secret.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Aug 2018 11:58

Makfly: We in the admin can, just like anyone else, only speculate and guess as none of us are legal expert. My personal guess is that, since we've been fine since 1989, we'll probably be fine another 20 years. And like you say it's not like we've tried to hide anything, rather the opposite. I think we are so small, old, an in the big gaming world, too irrelevant for anyone to bother with us. But that's just my guess, I have no experience with these things. If anyone in the community has, feel free to share your thoughts.

Besides, the last couple of years we've probably received far more exposure through the Chrome app, and direct website traffic, than we are likely to get by PC Gamer, which most likely will cause a big, but relatively short-lived, spike. Risk-wise, if there even is a risk, being on the Chrome store and having a website with over 100,000 visits per year probably poses a bigger risk than a PC Gamer article.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 05 Aug 2018 13:51

If we had a legal expert willing to check things out and wizzies provided whatever he or she needed we could get an initial opinion at least, in case we don't have one. I don't happen to be friends with one, sorry I can't chip in.

If it's not down that road, then it might be renaming stuff to "Minal Morgus" and "Akalorn, son of Abarong"

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Aug 2018 14:22

Drazson wrote:If we had a legal expert willing to check things out and wizzies provided whatever he or she needed we could get an initial opinion at least, in case we don't have one. I don't happen to be friends with one, sorry I can't chip in.

If it's not down that road, then it might be renaming stuff to "Minal Morgus" and "Akalorn, son of Abarong"
The Army of Ingmar and the Morgus Mages... hmm... yeah... ugh...:)

To my knowledge we haven't had a legal expert have a look, but Genesis has a very long history. Gorboth or Cotillion may know more if something like that has ever happened.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 05 Aug 2018 17:15

I think highlighting content that is unique to Genesis is way more interesting anyway. It's not as though there aren't a plethora of LOTR-inspired games out there already. And as for appealing to those who want more of it - for free - well, that's just the sort of thing that would get us into trouble, were anyone bothered by it.

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 05 Aug 2018 17:43

In a way, maybe it is best to highlight uniqueness of Genesis anyways. LOTR purists make elves expecting Aragorn and Dragonlance fans expect to slay goblins by the dozen with a single blow of their mighty human knight :D

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Aug 2018 18:27

Zugzug wrote:Dragonlance fans expect to slay goblins by the dozen with a single blow of their mighty human knight :D
That's how I remember the AA wars!

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 05 Aug 2018 20:09

Cherek wrote:
Zugzug wrote:Dragonlance fans expect to slay goblins by the dozen with a single blow of their mighty human knight :D
That's how I remember the AA wars!
here is a quick refresher for you, in that case:

Code: Select all

March 2nd.
Mandorallen encounters and brutally slays a wolf-headed green-
eyed calian on boat to Bazaar, who turns out later to be Chaz.
Soldier Kachee slays Cherek in the town of Flotsam, catching him 
after Cherek was beaten up by Soldiers Myrset and Mariuz.  Later in
the day, Officer Purple and Soldier Lindros quickly slay Alannon, a
wolf-headed blue-eyed male human, who was a member of Calia.  The
victim 'donated' a maul and a scale to the Red Dragonarmy.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 06 Aug 2018 05:17

Zugzug wrote:In a way, maybe it is best to highlight uniqueness of Genesis anyways. LOTR purists make elves expecting Aragorn and Dragonlance fans expect to slay goblins by the dozen with a single blow of their mighty human knight :D

Well, the dragonarmies consisted of humans, minotaurs, ogres and draconians aswell as some other minor races, goblins where not the... backbone of the army so to speak as the stats where widely different :P

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/