PC Gamer to feature Genesis

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: PC Gamer to feature Genesis

Post by Cherek » 25 Aug 2018 23:45

Nerull wrote:Genesis will support Raytracing, right? I pre-ordered one of the Rtx 2080 TI - cards for playing Genesis..
Yeah you'll need it. Cotillion is working on realtime global illumination for the font in the official client, and I am redesigning the website with VR-support.

Toferth
Wanderer

Post by Toferth » 26 Aug 2018 00:09

Death ray for MM plz :)

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 26 Aug 2018 14:12

Toferth wrote:Death ray for MM plz :)

You misspelled "Nuclear device"

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 27 Aug 2018 13:06

Draugor wrote:You misspelled "Nuclear device"
I think you mean "nucular."

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Aug 2018 00:32

Mersereau wrote:What are the wizards doing in preparation?
My original answer to this was insufficient, and so I wanted to circle back. Here are things that Cotillion and I have been doing in preparation for the (presumable) influx of new players at publication of the PC Gamer article:
  • Cotillion is working on a recompilation of the gamedriver to allow for a max player count of 1024 people logged on simultaneously. Current limits are at 500.
  • We are looking at re-introducing the queue at some high number of logged-in players, which we have not yet determined.
  • I have stress tested the tutorial to make sure instancing works in the grind zones.
  • I am nearing completion of a new pub for Sparkle, which will act as a hangout for players and introduce the concept of rested exp.
  • We did a purge of playerfiles that are no longer active, resulting in around 19,000 characters being deleted. We made sure that these were not files that were important to people, with 99% of them being utter novices who did not complete the tutorial and ghost characters that did not complete the creation sequence. The major gain here is that 19K names which were locked up by failed character starts are now again free for use by new visitors. Because I wanted to be sure no valued characters were lost, I did a parse of the list and flagged around 20 characters who were above wanderer level, and who we will restore if needed. None of the characters purged were above expert level or older than 13 days of game age.
More to come, but that's a list of what we're up to so far to get ready for this.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 29 Aug 2018 01:50

Oh, cool. I was curious what the stress limits of the driver and website were.

Did PC Gamer give ya'll any metrics on what kind of traffic the Genesis site might see?

EDIT: btw congrats to all involved :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Aug 2018 04:00

Gub wrote:Oh, cool. I was curious what the stress limits of the driver and website were.

Did PC Gamer give ya'll any metrics on what kind of traffic the Genesis site might see?

EDIT: btw congrats to all involved :)
We haven't been in contact with PC Gamer directly, only the freelance author of the article, so we really do not know what to expect here. It probably also depend a lot on if PC Gamer decide to tweet about us and/or feature us on their website. I think it's safe to say there will be a spike in late September though, but how long it will last and how big it will be is probably anyone's guess at this point.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Aug 2018 18:04

I moved some posts about questing to a separate thread in the 'General' section so we don't clutter this thread with a brand new topic.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 29 Aug 2018 23:36

Thank you for the update.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 31 Aug 2018 19:05

Did ya'll see any number bumps on these articles?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-80s-and-90s ... ted-today/
https://www.pcgamer.com/oh-yeah-thats-w ... s-anymore/

EDIT: Looks like G said Genesis experienced large bumps due to those articles. How large were those bumps? Specifically how many people came to the site over the time of July 6 - July 16 and how many people actually clicked "Play" and connected?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/