Walking blobs of darkness.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kvator
Champion

Walking blobs of darkness.

Post by Kvator » 17 Nov 2018 22:12

Sooo...there's a thing that's bothering me a bit for quite some time now. It became even bigger with the introduction of imbuements (and then with recent changes to eq saving).

The walking blobs of darkness!

I understand blinding 1 target (like Rangers do).
I understand spells that create darkness in certain area (one room)
But the concept of personal mobile black holes (available to any willing adventurers for fair market price!) is something beyond my comprehension.

I am wondering if anyone found this concept silly (at least!) or it's just me? (won't mention balance issues related to this, since - as we know - balance in Genesis is still kind of WIP).

Arman
Wizard

Re: Walking blobs of darkness.

Post by Arman » 18 Nov 2018 01:47

Kvator wrote:Sooo...there's a thing that's bothering me a bit for quite some time now. It became even bigger with the introduction of imbuements (and then with recent changes to eq saving).

The walking blobs of darkness!

I understand blinding 1 target (like Rangers do).
I understand spells that create darkness in certain area (one room)
But the concept of personal mobile black holes (available to any willing adventurers for fair market price!) is something beyond my comprehension.

I am wondering if anyone found this concept silly (at least!) or it's just me? (won't mention balance issues related to this, since - as we know - balance in Genesis is still kind of WIP).
In a fantasy world shaped like a donut, where death is personified and talks in capitals, mobs constantly return to places of mass slaughter like lemmings to be reslaughtered... and magical darkness in a realm of magic is what you conceptually have a problem with? *grin*

Fortunately, seeing those darkness blobs is entirely optional through the ' light lamp' feature. May it bother you no more!

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 18 Nov 2018 11:41

Arman wrote: Fortunately, seeing those darkness blobs is entirely optional through the ' light lamp' feature. May it bother you no more!
Unless there are multiple levels of this mobile darkness that have to be countered by multiple lamps.

Great concept indeed!

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 18 Nov 2018 16:31

Yes. I noticed that and had to increase number of light sources carried.
It still should be easier to get lights than darknesses though.
You just need more strength to carry all the items around now.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 18 Nov 2018 21:02

Kvator wrote:
Arman wrote: Fortunately, seeing those darkness blobs is entirely optional through the ' light lamp' feature. May it bother you no more!
Unless there are multiple levels of this mobile darkness that have to be countered by multiple lamps.

Great concept indeed!
Just carrying 2-3 lamps to heavy for ya? :P

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 18 Nov 2018 21:20

Draugor wrote:
Kvator wrote:

Great concept indeed!
Just carrying 2-3 lamps to heavy for ya? :P
Kind of* :(
Increasing str with kender ain't the easiest thing to do.

But more than that - I just don't like the concept :)

* actually Kvator has oradiance - so it's more bothersome for my other alts :P

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 19 Nov 2018 04:07

Kvator,

I don't think this is worse than it has ever been. Even back when I was a mortal I recall the sword of darkness you could get, and how it was often a source of the blob you refer to in Sparkle and other well-populated areas. When the Vampire guild was in its prime, darkness use was rampant, and you would find yourself impacted by it on a constant basis.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions of dislike for the design, of course.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 19 Nov 2018 04:49

gorboth wrote:Kvator,

I don't think this is worse than it has ever been. Even back when I was a mortal I recall the sword of darkness you could get, and how it was often a source of the blob you refer to in Sparkle and other well-populated areas. When the Vampire guild was in its prime, darkness use was rampant, and you would find yourself impacted by it on a constant basis.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions of dislike for the design, of course.

G.
Yes, I am aware that Sword of Darkness was always super-easy-to-get source of this thing (very heavy though). i Think that today it's even more frequent (but then it might be just my impression, my luck, or simple fact that there are just more players overall!) but it was bugging me ever since I learnt bout it.

If something's somehow related to vampire guild then there's big chance that it's broken btw :)

From replies here I can see that it's just me though, so not a big issue probably.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 19 Nov 2018 05:01

Kvator wrote:
gorboth wrote:Kvator,

G.
Yes, I am aware that Sword of Darkness was always super-easy-to-get source of this thing (very heavy though). i Think that today it's even more frequent (but then it might be just my impression, my luck, or simple fact that there are just more players overall!) but it was bugging me ever since I learnt bout it.

If something's somehow related to vampire guild then there's big chance that it's broken btw :)

From replies here I can see that it's just me though, so not a big issue probably.
My early memories of Genesis was when the first iteration of the Vampyrs ran riot across Genesis. Vampyrs could summon darkness to rooms, so you'd sometimes find yourself running through corridors of darkness throughout Sparkle. And you'd be running... because if you didn't the darkness became a quick portal to Lars.

So I don't think today is like it was back in the early 90s. When that Vampyrs guild got closed in 94 (?) the only guild that could see in darkness was the Morgul Mages... so they and Kahedan monks (with high blind fighting) were the only ones who found darkness items useful for a quite while.

In fairness though, there probably is an issue with permanent darkness items like the ring and orb. Now that everything saves, we are getting a bit of darkness item inflation. That can be fixed, however with the increase in magical guilds with access to night vision I don't think it will reduce the popularity of darkness items.

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 19 Nov 2018 19:45

Faint torchstones on bracelets, earrings, breastpins, wristlets, furry pants with an enormous codpiece, belts, rings, carved quickwood hoopak, etc is a decent way to counter the darkness blobs.

It's only 9 cracked torchstones or 27 cracked stones of any imbument converted into torchstones.

That's the best I can come up with to avoid the darkness for now

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/