The rankings

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Thalric
Rising Hero

The rankings

Post by Thalric » 02 Mar 2019 11:44

Is it possible to differentiate time played and time idled in the player files?

It would be really nice if the Legend list on the rankings actually represented those who'd been playing a lot, and not just those who has been standing idle for one armageddon after the other.
It gives a really wrong impression.

And can we have an explanation of how the Careers is calculated?
It has changed so many times in the past, with a lot of different names, that I at least have given up trying to figure out how the results are made.

Thank you

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: The rankings

Post by Cherek » 02 Mar 2019 16:10

Thalric wrote:Is it possible to differentiate time played and time idled in the player files?

It would be really nice if the Legend list on the rankings actually represented those who'd been playing a lot, and not just those who has been standing idle for one armageddon after the other.
It gives a really wrong impression.

And can we have an explanation of how the Careers is calculated?
It has changed so many times in the past, with a lot of different names, that I at least have given up trying to figure out how the results are made.

Thank you
We do not have data of a player's idle time vs non-idle time. And even if we could measure that I think it's hard to truly measure idle vs non-idle, because how do you really count that? Most "idling" players have tick timers setup so they don't really appear idle anyway, so even if we could measure that, there's a very easy way around it. I think we'll simply have to settle with measuring player age, regardless of how you became that old.

As for the careers, I always figured it's some average value of your total guild XP, and including all guild types. The reason it's changing so much I would guess is because people switch guilds a lot. Usually the players in the top are big players who have stayed loyal to the same guild(s) a long time. But to be completely honest with you, I am not completely certain what "normalized average guild XP" actually means. When I made the new website I simply used the data from the old for the rankings, but the careers category is not entirely clear, and a better explanation text is probably needed for that one. Now, Mercade recoded the current rankings scripts some years ago, however, he's not very active right now, but if I see him I will make sure to ask exactly how it's calculated.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: The rankings

Post by Cherek » 12 Mar 2019 02:55

Thanks to Shanoga's assistance we've managed to decipher Mercade's "careers" ranking category script and we can now confirm my original assumption. Without getting too technical it simply measures a player's combined guild experience, counting all guilds they are currently a member of. I have updated the rankings explanation text on the website to clarify this.

So, the reason it's a more "volatile" rankings category than the others is simply because people tend to switch guilds fairly often, thus dropping far in the list.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/