Cherek wrote: ↑
25 Nov 2019 00:26
But it's not only newbies who benefit from the "save on person"-system. That's just one of several benefits with things saving on a player. Other benefits that would go away if we reverted:
- You don't need to gear up every time you want to play (unless you're in a guild that demands it).
- Less need for players in more open guilds to hide stuff in private droprooms around the realms in order not to lose it.
- Casual players benefit a lot by being able to save things on their person which gives them more incentive to play.
- The imbue you worked hard for can be _yours_ as long as it lasts.
- No risk to lose stuff by accidentally LD'ing out and lose EQ. (That always sucked)
- No risk of accidentally quitting out with glowing EQ on you to "lose a glow".
Do we really want to remove the good things with the new system, and bring back the old issues? I think we can do better than just reverting.
As for letting the newbie pin save all inventory, that was discussed in the past (before the ever-saving change), and the concern was that players and/or seconds below veteran would be used as "eq mules" to save older player's stuff. Which is definitely a legitimate concern I think.
1. We've lived with this system "forever". It's a feature that makes Genesis what it is, and is the driving force behind keeping racks stocked by subsequent EQ-hunts, ie playing the game called Genesis. It's part of the difficulty. Want a different game? Go play a different game.
2. This isn't an argument for change. It's what keeps certain guilds more valuable/desireable than others. Part of the risk in "free-to-join"-guilds is that racks are always subject to idiots looking for a quick loot.
3. Were we not experiencing an increase in players with the old system where this "incentive" did not exist?
4. Guilds themselves can find ways to cope with this, name-tagged scrips (from sybarus) solved this issue before, it can again. Another reason racks are valuable.
5. So use racks.
6. Accidentally quitting out? You forget to press "i"+enter before you quit? Forgive me for saying so, but you can't cure stupidity, certainly not by making a game "idiot safe".
By increasing the chance of an item saving gear WILL eventually fall out of the game, but still have a good chance of staying untill it wears out. Randomness is praised in most matters in this game, why shouldn't it continue to be praised?
I think it's the simplest "mod" you can do to make guilds and racks matter (again) without screwing up the economics of the game. It wouldn't even require a purge.
Lesser guilds deserve their suffering, you feel unjustly nerfed and want to be restored to your rightful glory... huh. I guess you're Genesis Hitler then. It feels so sweet to say this.. Fuck you, Hitler.