Perma-saving items

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Re: Perma-saving items

Post by Arman » 04 Dec 2019 09:43

What we are thinking now is that we won't do a purge.

What we are thinking is implementing a time stamp on all equipment (excluding things like backpacks and lamps etc), so that after 2-3 months it expires... regardless of whether it is used or not.

We'll also incorporate an item decay based on use in combat. So after x amount of time in combat, that item expires. We haven't come up with the exact time x will be, but i was thinking 120 hours of combat... happy to get feedback from you all on whether that number is ok or not.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 04 Dec 2019 12:02

120 hours is 5 whole days worth of fighting, and I find that to be more than enough for a non-tank to enjoy their equipment.
Hunt for 6 hours each night and you get 20 days out of it.
Tanks will, I hope, need to change their equipment more often as they are getting beaten up.

And I love the idea of items rusting away while lying forgotten in a rack somewhere.
Perhaps make them decay in condition over time, instead, so you have the option to take them to a smith to make them last longer by taking care of them?

Tarlok
Apprentice

Post by Tarlok » 04 Dec 2019 12:39

I like your proposed system Arman.

Have you considered adding a bit of a sliding scale based on discipline? Perhaps around 100 hours at low levels of dis, maybe 200 at high levels of discpline. This would help maintain the idea of adding some usefulness to discipline especially once one surpases the level of discpline needed to engage even the largest of opponents.

I also hope this sytem replaces the current method armours wear down on tanks, and is not just a supplemental decay mechanism, because currently armours can last around 2 - 3 hours in combat with heavy usage on a tank and I think that is way too short.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 04 Dec 2019 14:19

Tarlok wrote:
04 Dec 2019 12:39

Have you considered adding a bit of a sliding scale based on discipline? Perhaps around 100 hours at low levels of dis, maybe 200 at high levels of discpline. This would help maintain the idea of adding some usefulness to discipline especially once one surpases the level of discpline needed to engage even the largest of opponents.

I also hope this sytem replaces the current method armours wear down on tanks, and is not just a supplemental decay mechanism, because currently armours can last around 2 - 3 hours in combat with heavy usage on a tank and I think that is way too short.
Would add a reason to increase discipline and give that stat some value. We'll have a think about that.

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 04 Dec 2019 15:40

Arman wrote:
04 Dec 2019 14:19
Tarlok wrote:
04 Dec 2019 12:39

Would add a reason to increase discipline and give that stat some value. We'll have a think about that.
You likely already thought of this, but maybe add some randomness to it as well as boosted by discipline? Ie base of 150 hrs + random 100 hrs somehow boosted by discipline?

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 04 Dec 2019 19:58

I want more hours.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 04 Dec 2019 21:19

nils wrote:
04 Dec 2019 19:58
I want more hours.
You cant have them.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 05 Dec 2019 00:28

Word of advice.
Don't time stamp at all.
Not needed with the decay.
Just punishes casuals who wish to invest in heavy imbues.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Dec 2019 10:02

Amberlee wrote:
05 Dec 2019 00:28
Word of advice.
Don't time stamp at all.
Not needed with the decay.
Just punishes casuals who wish to invest in heavy imbues.
We did discuss this a lot, and the problem is that if only combat makes things decay, we'll eventually end up with huge piles of EQ that is beneficial out of combat, since that kind of EQ would never be lost. We came to the conclusion that all EQ must have a finite lifetime, even if it will hurt casuals a bit. However, a couple of months is a pretty long time to enjoy your imbued EQ, even for a casual player.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 05 Dec 2019 10:24

I love the idea of everything decaying.
It encourages people to actually play the game and not just stand around idling.
You would need to go out and get new stuff, if you want the option to go out and fight.

One could argue that it will make people rarely playing the game, or not playing at all, playing even less..
But if they don't play the game to begin with, nothing is changed.

I also love the idea based on the fact that the fewer items of certain kinds in the game, the bigger the chance to find said items. Which will benefit all those who are actually active.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/