Mithas trolls

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Mithas trolls

Post by Arman » 13 Feb 2020 14:47

Hi everyone,

Today I discovered the Mithas troll area had been triplicated from the original design/implementation that was approved over 15 years ago. The triplication probably happened about a decade ago, however the code is quite bad and breaches a number of design considerations that wouldn't pass muster today.

As liege and Arch of Balance I have closed the two added areas - that were essentially cloning the original approved area - pending a proper review.

A.K

PS I would REALLY like to know who the wizard was who expanded on the original approved troll area. Any tips?

Quantum
Adept

Re: Mithas trolls

Post by Quantum » 13 Feb 2020 14:57

Hi,

People really liked that there was more than just the one camp. And yes they have been there almost since the beginning. Could you update the code and put them back in? It's worked so far, no point in deleting them now. My guess is they came in 1 week after the first area opened, because people complained it was too small.

Best regards,
Brother Quantum

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 13 Feb 2020 15:29

How can you not have discovered or known it before now?

As you say, it's been there for a decade.
Not the first wizard that's been looking at that area.
I remember someone trying to put in a bot-stopper.
Making some question you should answer to enter the camp.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 Feb 2020 15:33

Thalric wrote:
13 Feb 2020 15:29

Why would I know? When I became a wizard back in the 90s the expectation was that you would avoid areas and guilds you code or were responsible for... for obvious conflict of interest reasons. I have never hunted the Mithas trolls with any character of mine.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 Feb 2020 15:36

Quantum wrote:
13 Feb 2020 14:57
Hi,

People really liked that there was more than just the one camp. And yes they have been there almost since the beginning. Could you update the code and put them back in? It's worked so far, no point in deleting them now. My guess is they came in 1 week after the first area opened, because people complained it was too small.

Best regards,
Brother Quantum
Thanks Quantum for the response.

The additional areas definitely weren't an inclusion a week after the area opened. I reviewed and approved the original area as liege of Ansalon. There was no intention of expanding it in the fashion it was expanded. That was done much later, and the more I look into it the more I think that it was done on the sly.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 13 Feb 2020 15:37

Arman wrote:
13 Feb 2020 15:33
Thalric wrote:

Why would I know? When I became a wizard back in the 90s the expectation was that you would avoid areas and guilds you code or were responsible for... for obvious conflict of interest reasons. I have never hunted the Mithas trolls with any character of mine.
I am glad that you have held to that code.
From what I hear there were many who didn't feel the same. :)

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 Feb 2020 15:40

Thalric wrote:
13 Feb 2020 15:37
Arman wrote:
Thalric wrote:

I am glad that you have held to that code.
From what I hear there were many who didn't feel the same. :)
;)

Anyway, it's closed for now. Yes I get that players are used to it being 3x larger... but it needs a sanity check that it probably never got. If there are no showstoppers I'll re-open it in a week or so.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 13 Feb 2020 15:44

Hi Arman

Far from me be it to say whether this is a good or a bad idea to add and remove the area.

In response to your query on who:

I cannot recall for certain who the Wizard was, but I believe it was done by an Ansalon/Krynn wizard as an admin sanctioned response to a cry out for more hunting areas for players above hero. (At that time GK keep did not exist, dark elves and ogres were not upgraded to todays challenge standards, trollshaws were not updated, etc etc).

So it was, I believe, a quick fix to people complaining daily about 5-10 teams of players constantly competing on going to terel trolls and mithas trolls and then having nothing else worthwhile to do xpwise (at the time!).
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 13 Feb 2020 17:35

If anything the troll camp should be expanded even more.
But by all means clean up bad code.
That is encouraged and appreciated.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 13 Feb 2020 17:53

Arman wrote:
Thalric wrote:

What an odd policy. It seems very strange that a liege wouldn't have a look round every once in a while, or that s/he would be unaware of what everyone who plays at all regularly has long known about. It's not like anyone has been secretive about it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/