Magic Maps

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Magic Maps

Post by Cherek » 16 Feb 2020 16:08

While letting the map "grow" as you explore could perhaps be a cool feature it would likely require an immense amount of work to make it a global thing. It has taken over a decade(?) to get to this point regarding the maps, and to recode the map system and creating a massive number of new maps is not a project I see happening. I think that time is much better spent focusing on mapping the blank areas we have. Besides, I am not sure it would be that great either, for some special areas, sure, but globally? I am skeptical since, while more realistic, it would definitely make the game harder for new players again, and currently the most praise we get from new players is for the map. Personally I think the map system is awesome as it is, reavling enough to make the game easier, but some areas still get to keep their secrets.

That said, for individual areas, where it makes sense based on how the area is written, it could be a fun thing to try. But a global thing? No, it's not something I think is a good idea.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Magic Maps

Post by Cherek » 16 Feb 2020 16:11

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, Chevrotain has updated the silent forest map, and I think this new version looks very nice and represents the area as it was written by the original coder very well. Nice work Chev!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/