State of the Donut - 2019

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: State of the Donut - 2019

Post by Cherek » 09 Feb 2020 21:15

How weird is this, I am now Keeper and Gorboth is the one posting ideas on the forums... all backwards, that was MY role :)

Trying to funnel new players (who want to) into more of a "serious guild" earlier on might be a good idea though. Cadets, Academy, and Mercs are great at many things, but not so great at giving players a sense of purpose and community.

Kvator: The idea of transforming some guilds to layman isn't an idea to solve PVP issues, it COULD be ONE step in improving activity in guilds a bit. This in turn could be helpful for PVP at some point, if we manage to solve the other problems with PVP (you mentioned some of them). I completely agree there are seveal other things that are more important to fix regarding PVP in Genesis.

Spundungus
Novice

Post by Spundungus » 10 Feb 2020 19:24

getting more guilds keeps the game interesting

Karpath
Adventurer

Post by Karpath » 11 Feb 2020 17:45

Great post, I love numbers :)

And having been in the PoT for i don't know, a lifetime ?, I just love to see that the Priesthood has held it's stable numbers throughout the years and even had some growth the last year ( we know of course but it is nice to see it in percentage as well ) On the topic of guildactivity / closing / changing I am curious though... do you take into account that now people can idle from reboot to reboot of the game ? seeming "active" Unfortunately I haven't got the slightest clue how you calculate the activity bit but if it is on hours pr player in the guild well ;)

Perhaps a similar system as the rankings could be implemented to calculate a more accurate number.

Ok better get back to my hole.
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Feb 2020 04:02

Karpath: Yes, unfortunately we do not have a way right now to take idling players into account. A very serious idler in a guild could actually bump up their activity-ranking rankings by quite a bit. So, as I metioned in my post, these statistics are interesting, and gives an idea of how active guilds are, but does not tell the whole story.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 Feb 2020 17:13

I don't mind counting idlers. They are logged in, and that always creates the impression of an active mud for a newcomer.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 21 Feb 2020 17:47

An impression?

How does that work when you log in as a new player and see there being 60 people awake/logged in..
But then after 3 hours you've seen 5 that has hurried through the room you were standing in, and seen another 3-4 chars in Sparkle church, all just standing there.

It might give an idea that people are around, but if you don't see any of them, you might as well think them as being like bots on a forum. There, but not really there for interaction.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 21 Feb 2020 21:36

Thalric wrote:
21 Feb 2020 17:47
It might give an idea that people are around, but if you don't see any of them, you might as well think them as being like bots on a forum. There, but not really there for interaction.

It also speaks volumes of the size of the game..
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/