Fact-checking and critical thinking

Here, look for all manner of scoops, commentary, and general nonsense from the Keeper himself.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Re: Fact-checking and critical thinking

Post by nils » 02 Jul 2020 20:13

Wow..
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 02 Jul 2020 20:16

I propose an in-game challenge on the arena: Amberlee vs Kvator ;)

Let the best rogue win!

Geee, I wonder who might that be? ;)

Sypher
Novice

Post by Sypher » 02 Jul 2020 20:22

I'm kinda amazed at this,like every guild is made for a specific way of playing,such as big AA being stronger than *most* big Rangers...doesnt show favor,its just how it is,each guild has it's own faults and strengths...It doesn't mean theres a huge illuminati conspiracy between wizards and players,or evil wizards helping evils,or good wizards helping goodies...they don't get paid for this,it's their own free time, if you feel it's wrong,he's giving you a chance to provide evidence but you continue to use opinions and hearsay. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points,I don't normally get involved in Forum discussions,I just don't understand the hate going on? :/
We'll give a yell with a bloody curse,
And hug the maids, it could be worse,
As we ride away with the Dark One's purse,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows!

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 02 Jul 2020 21:00

Kvator wrote:
02 Jul 2020 19:49
Nerull wrote:
02 Jul 2020 19:29

1a; Evil side lacked a rogue guild, hence the existence of this guild. Thematics, you might read about them in Sparkle library.
1b: I guess you have to ask the members about this.
2: All guilds follow certain caid limitations. FK don't break this general rule or limitation.
3: I guess you need to inquire with members on this one. On a general note, there are tons of goblin, orcs etc that are assassins in Forgotten realms, so not sure I see issues with those races picking up daggers to assassinate somebody, or to be members of rogue or assassin outfits. Racial limitations might be more about thematics and design rather than game rules and limitations.
So basically with proper min-maxing (I guess races are not counted in CAID still) willing wizard can achieve great (from powerplay perspective) results.

Thank you for confirmation!
Happy to help you with question 1a and 2,

A wizard don't necessarily need to min-max anything to achieve good results - it's more about design, playability, luck and player interest since the difference between a "min-maxed" guild vs one that is not, is often small or insignificant. Size, and gear loadout probably matters much more.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 02 Jul 2020 21:15

Sypher wrote:
02 Jul 2020 20:22
I'm kinda amazed at this,like every guild is made for a specific way of playing,such as big AA being stronger than *most* big Rangers...doesnt show favor,its just how it is,each guild has it's own faults and strengths...It doesn't mean theres a huge illuminati conspiracy between wizards and players,or evil wizards helping evils,or good wizards helping goodies...they don't get paid for this,it's their own free time, if you feel it's wrong,he's giving you a chance to provide evidence but you continue to use opinions and hearsay. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points,I don't normally get involved in Forum discussions,I just don't understand the hate going on? :/
If I should be into conspiracy theories...
I would say that the fact that they aren't paid makes it a lot more plausible that evil wizzes help evil players and good wizzes help good players.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 02 Jul 2020 21:20

Nerull wrote:
02 Jul 2020 21:00
A wizard don't necessarily need to min-max anything to achieve good results - it's more about design, playability, luck and player interest since the difference between a "min-maxed" guild vs one that is not, is often small or insignificant. Size, and gear loadout probably matters much more.
Luckily I have alts in different guilds so don't have to take it for granted :)

Yes - size is super important for tanking. More specifically -> constitution attribute (the one to which kenders have -20% penalty xD)

Currently damage is king in Genesis though (that's why I don't know about any power-players in tank oriented guild) and as for dmg goes there are guilds where heroes/titans can outdamage kenders (armed with quickwood hoopak!) easily.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 02 Jul 2020 21:44

Kvator wrote:
02 Jul 2020 21:20
Nerull wrote:

Yes - size is super important for tanking. More specifically -> constitution attribute (the one to which kenders have -20% penalty xD)

Currently damage is king in Genesis though (that's why I don't know about any power-players in tank oriented guild) and as for dmg goes there are guilds where heroes/titans can outdamage kenders (armed with quickwood hoopak!) easily.
Min-maxed in this context means using what's allowed in caid + skill / tax allocations, right? or is it more about just dps? For this to make sense, it's important to establish this definition first. :)

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 02 Jul 2020 21:51

Nerull wrote:
02 Jul 2020 21:44
Min-maxed in this context means using what's allowed in caid + skill / tax allocations, right? or is it more about just dps? For this to make sense, it's important to establish this definition first. :)
Yup - using what's allowed in caid to get most out of it.

For example - not putting most of caid in defence in guild that enforce race that doesn't fit in tank role + prevents you from using shield :)

+ also keeping in mind what's more important in current 'gen meta' (dps is way more valuable than tanking in general)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 02 Jul 2020 22:06

Kvator wrote:
02 Jul 2020 21:20
Nerull wrote:

Well what you should be more concerned about here is the racial imbalances.
You have goblins that are the alpha race to the point that it's not even anyone coming close.
That's a better crusade to do really.
Get them to properly balance races
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 02 Jul 2020 22:40

Amberlee wrote:
02 Jul 2020 22:06
Well what you should be more concerned about here is the racial imbalances.
You have goblins that are the alpha race to the point that it's not even anyone coming close.
That's a better crusade to do really.
Get them to properly balance races
Race issue is obvious (mentioned it few times in this topic, maaaany times in previous ones) - basically in each melee guild that allows goblins there's no point in picking anything else.

Sadly I don't have good record on 'making them do anything' (look how long I am raising the kender issue and how underpowered they still are :) ) - contrary to other folks, who sadly are goblin-abusers (AA quick-fix from last year).

I guess that wizards should be aware of race issue, but so far there was no interest on their side (+ they do not include races in the CAID calculations afaik which translate directly to guild balance*)

* if melee guild allow goblins it's profitting big time, without using any CAID
Last edited by Kvator on 02 Jul 2020 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/