Blocking, pfighting and the old days.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Blocking, pfighting and the old days.

Post by Rhaegar » 29 Jun 2010 09:44

Draugor wrote:
Rhynox wrote:Players of evil characters just want to deal damage. If they were given ranger abilities and were not able to kill anyone (just like the rangers), and on the contrary the good guilds were given spellcasting powers to turn them into living torches and cinder in three seconds, I am sure they would complain.

They just join the guilds that offer the best PvP possibilities, ogres and angmar nowadays. So, I don't think any wizard should waste his time coding something they would never use.

I'd gladly sacrifice my smash for a really cool special special that didnt do any real damage but had a nice effect on some other plane
Didn't smack have a chance to stun? I wonder why people aren't using it as it seems to deal more damage than smash...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 29 Jun 2010 10:02

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 29 Jun 2010 10:04

Rhynox wrote:Players of evil characters just want to deal damage. If they were given ranger abilities and were not able to kill anyone (just like the rangers), and on the contrary the good guilds were given spellcasting powers to turn them into living torches and cinder in three seconds, I am sure they would complain.

They just join the guilds that offer the best PvP possibilities, ogres and angmar nowadays. So, I don't think any wizard should waste his time coding something they would never use.
What a useless, stupid, untrue generalization.
Do you even play these days and actually know who the evil aligned players are?
Or are you just basing this accusation off the forum, which is dominated by the PvP drama of the few?

I hope that you are joking when you wrote that post.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 29 Jun 2010 10:22

Monika ... in all the battles Laurel fought with and against Monika, there was NEVER any abuse of some items unknown to vast majority of Gen-population, "very special" skills/abilities, etc.
I remember how I met Monika the first time and she was described to me "In combat, she's fast like a shark!" (comming from an old Ranger I miss nowadays) and that's exactly what I experienced later as well - this guy relied on his quickness (similar to Tarax's "quick reaction" aka hunting trigs ... maybe, but never experienced it as such) that was legendary; Ravenrage and Epzilon once checked Monika's reaction time (counted in splits of seconds) and it was astonishing ... especially in times of lag

what was the name of the knight who later coded the first mercs? M-something? Laurel also fought him quite a few times and learned to respect him as a foe (especially when with GGs and Kit's sabre) - still no relying on some cheat teleport wands, strange items unknown to others, etc.

RR + Epzi - it was a funny team ... RR using the fire axe from Kabal to maul with it in PvP :twisted: always felt safe when going out with those guys

Mariuz - mr. Daddy Cool ... he was the teacher for Laurel in terms of PvP'ing Rangers back in the BDA

Gector - the dude who impaled ... Laurel aspired to his legend back in the DA days and later learned to NOT engage RDA after all (significantly more dangerous and tougher then BDA) - at least as non-Ranger

truth to be told - I miss those guys and those fights, where everybody knew the other's skills and approximate stats, the gear the enemy used; you knew - you engage a knight you usually get blocked, so learn to fight in rooms with more than 1 exit ... etc. etc. etc.
BRUTE FORCE was the way in those days afaik - when the enemy happened to be on a ship or fighting Viridian ... well, lucky we! there was also the fatique poison dagger backstab tactics ... but only used on Laurel 3-4 times and usually without great success

however Zoirenna+Peridot+Nitramin raiding Sanction ... that was an epic battle for Laurel to participate in (as BDA) - drop brawls firing off at every corner, BDA lacking the awareness to see them sneak/hide, Rangers using ebony-bladed daggers to keep abundant DA forces in safe-locations, blinded DAs running around and trying to get to safe rooms (in times of very limited ZMud usage afaik) ... EPIC
still - noone used any "swords you have to _know_ how to obtain with utterly idiotic commands in stupidly chosen locations", scrolls, etc. first item to start the avalanche for me was the ring that put the whole location into "peace loc" ... then the teleport and healing wands started to be used, then the "friends only" swords, then Lordgradif showed Laurel (in PvP situations) how to abuse certain "herbs" that were best in healing-class and required NO herbalism skill to "pick" ... and the avalanche rolled down to whole guilds being coded with friends-supporting solutions/skills/abilities

I miss brute force battles - I hate "perks for friends" usage ... I hate it to the core

Bofur
Greenhorne

Post by Bofur » 29 Jun 2010 10:46

Ravenrage and Epzilon... yeah, that was my crew back when I was Knight, when it felt like Knights had a bit of honour, remember all that feeling dying out when dear Kuti let you in without proper interviews and destroying it all, apart from that I think he was a great Grandmaster, but we werent talking about that now. We had lots of fun hunting DAs. Worst enemy was Lindros! ofcourse. We never managed to kill one another though it was extremely close a couple of times. Remember finding him alone in Bree PO, attacked and blocked west. He started spamming, and when he was around Barely Alive, I decided now is the time to do the smart thing, take two steps west and block east (Bree has changed since then), that day I learned you can wimpy "common" or maybe in old Bree it was an up exit. So he got away wimpying into common room, fuckin annoying! Then a couple of days later Lindros found me with his team outside gobbo caves, I ran to Bree and got tired on the way, managed to get away at DD, scary.

Good times for sure.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 29 Jun 2010 18:34

Makfly wrote:Do you even play these days and actually know who the evil aligned players are?
Have you? Why do you think Genesis is the way it is? Try logging in and playing a bit before speaking.

As Laurel mentioned, back then people would fight with ancient mithril chainmails, obsidian longswords and tempered shields. Sizes were much smaller, so battles lasted long (and even gave you an opportunity to flee if you wanted to). Recovery was fast because sizes were fast, and overall with no magical guilds (except the mages until they closed) most was done with brick and mortar.

Have you tried fighting someone wearing a silvanesti shield, midnight platemail, skull helmet, black boots, etc, etc? Or an ogre with darksteel armours? Everything is so pumped up. An ogre with darksteel armours and a potion has the same defense as Irk with all his best equipment and neidar skills. A mercenary with a serrated halberd does as much damage as a swarming calian. Skills are being replaced by equipment, and that is very unfair.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 29 Jun 2010 18:39

Agreed Rhynox..
While i admittedly do enjoy having good equipment, the insanity of equipment nowdays has gone so far that people can get basically unkillable..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Bofur
Greenhorne

Post by Bofur » 29 Jun 2010 19:33

Rhynox your greatest talent has always been whining :shock: I can assure you I dont tank anywhere near Irk with our Behemoth Armour (better than goliath). Maybe with double shields, probably not, but thats not an option now is it. Stop bitching and play with the things wizards supply. Or dont play, but please shut up, your whining isnt very helpful either.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 29 Jun 2010 19:51

Rhynox wrote:Have you? Why do you think Genesis is the way it is? Try logging in and playing a bit before speaking.
I actually am playing fair often. So yes, I have.
Rhynox wrote: As Laurel mentioned, back then people would fight with ancient mithril chainmails, obsidian longswords and tempered shields. Sizes were much smaller, so battles lasted long (and even gave you an opportunity to flee if you wanted to). Recovery was fast because sizes were fast, and overall with no magical guilds (except the mages until they closed) most was done with brick and mortar.

Have you tried fighting someone wearing a silvanesti shield, midnight platemail, skull helmet, black boots, etc, etc? Or an ogre with darksteel armours? Everything is so pumped up. An ogre with darksteel armours and a potion has the same defense as Irk with all his best equipment and neidar skills. A mercenary with a serrated halberd does as much damage as a swarming calian. Skills are being replaced by equipment, and that is very unfair.
This has nothing at all with your previous generalization about evil players, so I don't know why you wrote this as a reply to me.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 29 Jun 2010 20:00

I only used one line to reply you. The next paragraphs were for the general discussion to support Laurel's point of view.

And Bofur, not every neidar has a constitution like Irk. Any neidar will barely match an ogre in a one-one battle, just ask Dinendae how many times we sparred and how many times he beated me to TH.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/