CMUD?

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Bomrim
Apprentice

CMUD?

Post by Bomrim » 29 Jun 2010 23:10

How's CMUD?

Feel free to praise and flame!
Bomrim the Mighty Rockfriend, Supreme Master Gladiator of Athas and August
Doctor of Music, titan, male dwarf.

petros
Site Admin

Re: CMUD?

Post by petros » 30 Jun 2010 00:22

I love it. Some things work much better than zMud. Some things still aren't terribly compatible. but lately, the mapper changes have made things much more useful for Genesis.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 30 Jun 2010 00:27

I really enjoy it as it is quite a powerful tool. I still have problems starting it up here and there especially right after booting my machine, but overall very slick product.

Some things that I do with CMUD:
-All the standard combat, battle, herbing triggers...
-Maintain the status of my special attacks so triggers only fire if the attack is ready.
-Create a variable with all the useful herb descriptions and their names and allow for extra inspection of each herb if it can be ambiguous.
-I do a similar things with the above with torques.
-Mapping complex areas without obvious exits.
-Counters/timers for herbing, special attack status, deaths, looting, forging
-Teaming triggers
-Create paths for walking (slow walking and fast walking)
-Timer to let you know if you can use another herb
-Timer to see when a spell will run out.
-Complex aliases that are triggered off of variables (e.g. r1 = rescue first member of team, r2 = rescue second member, etc)
-User defined functions: I really love this one. I created a function to generate the expected plural of something, so if I ask for more than one cladina, it will return cladinas, but more than one blueberry will return blueberries. Very useful for certain type triggers.

Last thing, I use CMUDPro. This is the only mud client that I know that you can use SSH from. I establish a secure shell into my own box then connect to Genesis from there. Nice bonus (encrypted traffic), downside more latency.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 30 Jun 2010 10:46

Bah, if you have a mapper, more than one window and can click on things with your mouse it's not playing a MUD any more in my opinion.

In this regard TinyFugue will remain the king of MUD clients for me. It's a bit hard to use at start, but when you actually learn to code a bit and understand some of the nuances of the language used there, you can create truly outstanding macros. I've been using it for ages and still I'm discovering new stuff as I love to read the code made by others, looking for new things I could incorporate into my triggers or how could I improve them.
Some people more proficient than me are even creating their own list, array and what not code for TF. It's like a giant sandbox, where you get all the basic stuff and freedom to do whatever you want if you have the skills.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Creed

Post by Creed » 30 Jun 2010 15:38

So.. because the rest of us are not as nerdy, and like to stay in the 21'th century, we are not playing a "real" MUD?

The MUD doesn't change just because you play like you did 15 years ago.
Its just you who think you're more hardcore by not making things easier for yourself.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 01 Jul 2010 02:48

I don't mean to be hardcore. I just think that having a map displayed at all times, and the ability to click your mouse on any location there to near-instantly travel to the desired room takes away a part of magic.

It's just the way I like it. I've never used automappers (pen and paper ftw!), speedpaths, hunting triggers or anything like it. I like the thrill when someone attacks you, you panic, start to enter random exits and you end up not knowing where you are exactly and desperately try to get out to the area you know better.
I just don't think that pressing buttons, seeing your inventory, it's current state and what you have in all possible containers at the same time is a good thing. It takes away the analog/human feel to it.

But that's just my opinion and not everyone has to agree with it :)
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Bomrim
Apprentice

Post by Bomrim » 01 Jul 2010 10:57

Rhaegar wrote:I don't mean to be hardcore. I just think that having a map displayed at all times, and the ability to click your mouse on any location there to near-instantly travel to the desired room takes away a part of magic.

It's just the way I like it. I've never used automappers (pen and paper ftw!), speedpaths, hunting triggers or anything like it. I like the thrill when someone attacks you, you panic, start to enter random exits and you end up not knowing where you are exactly and desperately try to get out to the area you know better.
I just don't think that pressing buttons, seeing your inventory, it's current state and what you have in all possible containers at the same time is a good thing. It takes away the analog/human feel to it.

But that's just my opinion and not everyone has to agree with it :)

Who said you need to have scripts on everything?

The point is too facilitate, to make it easier for someone.

Like me.. my wrists really hurt. I need some kind of rehab-band for them, and you write very much. Genesis ain't the only thing I do at the computer and it's really trying for me to do so much.

The laptop isn't that ergonomic if you get it?

Pushing buttons every second for some hours isn't that comfortable.

You're talking about magic, the magic is that you can actually play, if you can't because of for ex. your wrists the magic is gone.

So please think again.
Bomrim the Mighty Rockfriend, Supreme Master Gladiator of Athas and August
Doctor of Music, titan, male dwarf.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Jul 2010 11:16

I knew a guy who macro'ed walking in Gen onto the num-pad with all grinding commands fully triggered - never got myself to do it, but it's tempting
actually it wouldn't take much to do the same for a joystick or even mouse ... with the current ones you can macro 100 things onto your right/left hand only ...

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 Jul 2010 12:10

Laurel wrote:I knew a guy who macro'ed walking in Gen onto the num-pad with all grinding commands fully triggered - never got myself to do it, but it's tempting
actually it wouldn't take much to do the same for a joystick or even mouse ... with the current ones you can macro 100 things onto your right/left hand only ...
Moving around via the num-pad (ie. "4" key is west, "6" is east etc) is default in zMud isn't it?
Atleast, it's always the way I've played, I think. Except way in the beginning when everyone was just using basic Telnet clients.

Anyways, if any of you zMud pros out there, want to make a small tutorial on how to set up some fancy click-the-map-moving functionality, I'd love to see it.
I'm still using actual maps and move around manually via the num-pad, which is probably quite outdated for most :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Jul 2010 12:11

I forgot to mention - he did that in TF
maybe ZMud has that, but I never cared to check :ugeek:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/