Questions about Guilds

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Yoritomo
Greenhorne

Questions about Guilds

Post by Yoritomo » 23 Sep 2022 17:10

As I get started on my character, imagining future guild/story ideas I wondered if I could ask some more technical questions here. Mostly related to comfortable playability. I just want to make sure I don't put myself in a situation where my combination of guilds results in something severely underpowered and reliant on a team to enjoy combat. I love team combat, and a few larger players have been kind enough to take me on short hunting trips already, but it looks like I'm mostly asleep during peak hours.

I've read a bit here and there and as I'm not interested in PvP it looks like my neutral occupational options are:
Wizards of High Sorcery, School of High Magic, Mercenaries, Gladiators, and Order of the Dragon?
I wasn't sure about the Archers and Fire Knives. And I don't think I'll be a dwarf or a kender.

Layman options are:
Elemental Worshipers, Minstrels, Tricksters, Blademasters and Pirates? I wasn't sure about quite a few of the others. I know D&D warlocks are not necessarily evil, and I thought I read in a post somewhere that they technically are neutral, but I can't seem to find it.

Right now my character is a human enrolled in the Academy for starter mages in Gelan. The magic is kinda cool, but for the moment underwhelming? I'm still doing most of my damage with layman sword skills compared to layman or above layman magic skills. I'll stick with it for now to see how it feels when I can pay for higher than layman in all the spell types.

I've always liked the idea of hybrid characters in a game that doesn't allow instant class transitions (I play FFXIV so I'm spoiled in this regard). Would a hybrid character like say, a School of High Magic and layman Order of the Dragon monk or layman Archer function? Or is it the case that just because of the combat system you'd be left feeling underpowered?

I certainly don't intend to min-max and seek only the cutting edge of performance, but it would be nice to be comfy in a group or alone. And to have enough guild mates around to find those groups!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts or ideas!

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Questions about Guilds

Post by Zhar » 13 Nov 2022 08:56

Probably the best advice anyone can offer you is to take it slow. First focus on finishing the academy to see the full extent of their power. If you want to check out melee option after that you can always enroll with Cadets after you're done with Academy (note however that by doing so you'll lose your spells and magic skills).

It would probably be best to stay in the Academy/Cadets until you reach at least adept/great adventurer level and managed to accumulate a few hundred platinum coins in your bank.

This should give you some time to familiarize yourself with core gameplay and learn more about other guilds. At this point it would probably be best to join either Mercenaries or School of High Magic to see how a fully fledged guild works.

You can do well with hybrid character in Genesis (as a matter of fact vast majority of characters use hybrid builds). It's just a matter of which playstyle suits you best, if you'd rather lean more heavily into magic or melee. You can play a Mercenary + Warlock/Herald/Elemental Worshipper/Minstrel/Cleric to have both melee and a bit of magic or as SoHM + Templar/Militiaman/Saurian/Angmarim for a spellcaster that also knows a bit of combat. Or you could double down on melee/spellcasting by choosing both occupational and layman from the same field.

It's really up to you and that's why I'd suggest going with Academy/Cadets first so you can check out which "major" suits you best and which you'd rather have as your "minor" in terms of hybrid build.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/