Evil mounts

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhynox
Titan

Re: Evil mounts

Post by Rhynox » 01 Jul 2010 18:32

Minotaurs don't ride, they see that as an insult. In the War of Souls the minotaur officer ran along the commander. Huma's friend, Kaz, also ran along him (although I believe he mounted stallions).

Ogres can't ride because of their massive weight.

I am against any and all mounts, because they take away one of the few advantages dwarves have (stamina to run for longer than other races). However, I wouldn't mind riding boars with steel-tipped tusks (^0^)

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 01 Jul 2010 19:43

Rhynox wrote:Minotaurs don't ride, they see that as an insult. In the War of Souls the minotaur officer ran along the commander. Huma's friend, Kaz, also ran along him (although I believe he mounted stallions).

I am against any and all mounts, because they take away one of the few advantages dwarves have (stamina to run for longer than other races). However, I wouldn't mind riding boars with steel-tipped tusks (^0^)

Kaz also flew Bolt the bronze dragon in battle

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 01 Jul 2010 21:46

Rhynox wrote:Minotaurs don't ride, they see that as an insult. In the War of Souls the minotaur officer ran along the commander. Huma's friend, Kaz, also ran along him (although I believe he mounted stallions).

I think the fact that it excludes people is a bit unfair.
Particularly when you can use them for carrying loot.

So all or none..
Even Ogres. Riding things that look like massive rhinos.
I think I remember seeing something animal like that in LoTR. Not just Grond.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 02 Jul 2010 04:19

You should be able to use the beast' saddlebag even if you are not able to mount it. A minotaur could lead a pony with his loot there, however the current restriction that you need to be mounted to use the saddlebag is problematic. I remember when we were really small, horses were rare, and a cadet (I think Amylaar was his name) and I bought a Terel horse to carry money and loot from Solace (draconians and such). We couldn't get the right syntax, so we gave all the money to the horse. It was a huge heap of silver coins, there was no way to get it back, so we attacked him. The horse ran away with all our loot and money. How we laughed, took us a couple of hours to gather everything, thanks to the shop being closed at night and all that.

Note that these are two different problems: a mount to make you travel longer, and a beast to help you carry loot. I have always thought that smiths should be able to forge carts or wheelbarrows where you could drop your loot and move with it. While its volume would allow for two or three full backpacks of loot, the more filled it is the more random items it would throw in the path, forcing you to pick it up and drop it inside again (which could create a waterfall effect where more items fall, you pick them up, drop them inside, and even more items fall). This could solve the loot problem (and maybe the transportation problem if you were able to carry someone in it).

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 02 Jul 2010 10:42

Just talk to gnomes, I bet they can come up with a solution!

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 02 Jul 2010 11:44

Rhynox wrote:You should be able to use the beast' saddlebag even if you are not able to mount it. A minotaur could lead a pony with his loot there, however the current restriction that you need to be mounted to use the saddlebag is problematic. I remember when we were really small, horses were rare, and a cadet (I think Amylaar was his name) and I bought a Terel horse to carry money and loot from Solace (draconians and such). We couldn't get the right syntax, so we gave all the money to the horse. It was a huge heap of silver coins, there was no way to get it back, so we attacked him. The horse ran away with all our loot and money. How we laughed, took us a couple of hours to gather everything, thanks to the shop being closed at night and all that.

Note that these are two different problems: a mount to make you travel longer, and a beast to help you carry loot. I have always thought that smiths should be able to forge carts or wheelbarrows where you could drop your loot and move with it. While its volume would allow for two or three full backpacks of loot, the more filled it is the more random items it would throw in the path, forcing you to pick it up and drop it inside again (which could create a waterfall effect where more items fall, you pick them up, drop them inside, and even more items fall). This could solve the loot problem (and maybe the transportation problem if you were able to carry someone in it).
You do not need to be mounted to use the saddlebag, and can unstrap it and restrap it for putting things like coins in.
So if you like looting and cash you can use the horse to bring along all loot and remain slightly burdened or whatever you like being at.
Very powerful.
I am going to have to check out Terel steeds they still about?

The fact that Bree not like certain races is totally cool.
The fact they have no alternative is very poor.

If it continue to be that way, they should turn them into a craft guild and have no non taxed mounts available to ride anywhere.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 02 Jul 2010 12:03

mounts stink ... :mrgreen:

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 02 Jul 2010 14:11

Laurel wrote:mounts stink ... :mrgreen:
They do. It depends on how often you clean up the manure and give them a bath though. Some people get used to the smell, but others - well, they just can't stand it. :lol:

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 02 Jul 2010 15:34

lucky we there's enough fords in Genesis you can ride your stinking beast through ... and all who ever had a dog know how a wet fur STINKS even if it's shortly after a thorough bath

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 02 Jul 2010 17:11

Especially after a bath!
But nothing smells as bad as cat's litter box...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/