Revisited - Equipment: Durability & Spawn Rates

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dan
Adventurer

Re: Revisited - Equipment: Durability & Spawn Rates

Post by Dan » 14 Feb 2023 08:54

"but only 10" : do that and you effectively killed all uses of imbuements, if one only have 10 hours to play with an item.

It needs to be 10 days, but 90 hours, so need an additional hour counter on top of the day counter, and yes, 10-20 days would then be plenty before items rot (if they can be used 90 hours in that timeframe)

Targuns post was spot on, exactly how most feels - just sticking with some random weaponry that are nondull as those 5 hours with an abbasi just doesnt feel worth it compared to the 90 hours with the holy sword that is imbueable...

quick fix would be to double or triple the dulling items durability. right now especially as a tank its no fun that you cant imbue most of your stuff because it'll break before you have got a chance to use it - especially rings and necklaces and such should have their duration revisited¨

maybe give smiths guild an ability to fortify an item, at the cost of hours it can be used, so dulling weapons get their time tripled but at a loss of lets say 10-20 hours of max hours use., armours slightly less. you can then see on an item if it has been fortified.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Feb 2023 09:21

Would it make sense to accelerate the whole cycle?

1 day of combat, 20 days in general, rate of finding them 5x. Wouldn't it be the same thing but probably a bit more fair for dulls?

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 15 Feb 2023 00:13

Drazson wrote:
14 Feb 2023 09:21
Would it make sense to accelerate the whole cycle?

1 day of combat, 20 days in general, rate of finding them 5x. Wouldn't it be the same thing but probably a bit more fair for dulls?
It would add in a lot of gear, but would people then use the imbue system?

I think the idea of keeping 96 hours of use, but letting it rot in 20 days of not being used would be good. Droprates should increase on their own if that happened.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Feb 2023 14:28

Quantum: The old system where you could drop unsued/broken stuff in the sea to "recycle" them changed many years ago. Removing the three hundred FBBs you have in your rack would have no effect at all on the chance of a new one spawning. Perhaps this can change (there are pros and cons with everything), but in the current system that we've had for many years now, removing items from the game has no effect on drop rates. Personally I think this is much better than the old recycle system where people could keep specific EQ forever.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 06 Jul 2023 19:52

Cherek wrote:
13 Feb 2023 23:18
Overall I think all of you make some good points, and it's something for the AoB team to consider when/if they decide to revisit droprates. Currently I am very busy with the Patreon project and the racial rebalance project, so droprates is not something I currently have time to look into.
Definitely not trying to use your own words against you, but since you have completed the patreon and racial rebalance projects, I was thinking if maybe we could all take a look at droprates? :D

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Jul 2023 16:19

Quantum: Oh no. Well that backfired. I didn’t think we’d be done with those projects already! :) Guess we need to add “revisit droprates” to the loooong todo list then. Updating death is definitely before that on the list, though.

tor
Apprentice

Post by tor » 09 Jul 2023 03:35

Just wanted to pop in here with my 2 cents on non-dulling weaponry. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think that the non-dulling weapons have pretty much ruined the fun and flavour of armaments in Genesis. Once a player is "in the know" about which weapons are the best, they seldom use anything BUT the very best.

Flaming black broadsword, Serrated obsidian halberd, holy crystal axe, flawless double-bladed axe, long adamantium warhammer, black heavy mace, rust-red, blackened magnificent, azure longsword, etc. None of these are particularly rare, they're all top-tier weapons, they're all non-dulling or extremely slow-dulling. Even the warped rust-red weapons are vastly superior to nearly all dulling alternatives.

These are the weapons that we see everyone over a certain level using exclusively, and it's really too bad. There are so many great weapons with awesome descriptions, enchantments, lore, etc that USED to be good, and may still be quite challenging to get, but they just don't hold up anymore. The days of using seeing players over hero using a mighty dwarven cleaver, bloody steel axe, excellent halberd, JBS, etc are unfortunately over due to this influx of extremely good non-dulling weapons. No pun intended, but it dulls the game for me.

Again, unpopular opinion perhaps, but it's FUN to me to have to work my way up to a good weapon, and to have to conserve it and use it wisely. The same way that when you play a great first-person shooter, it's much more fun and challenging for the ammo to drop sparingly as opposed to always having infinite ammo for your best weapons.

I don't mean to call any wizards out in particular, but why are so many of the new weapons both TOP TIER and NON-DULLING? Does this make any sense at all from a game design perspective? Is this honoring the creative works of wizards past? Do the wizards just want their items to be the very best and used by all players?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE new content, and fun new items are my favourite thing to see and experience. It is my opinion, though, that non-dulling weapon should always be second-tier in terms of damage and penetration, i.e. heavy steel club and holy blade. Sure, there should be an exception made for weapons that are very difficult to obtain or require a sizeable team, but this should be a rare exception.

Mirandus
Site Admin

Post by Mirandus » 09 Jul 2023 03:57

Thanks for sharing, Tor,

I know we are having conversations about this, and I have my feelings that have come up recently. I will tell you that I have coded a couple of non-dulling weapons. One is quite good, the other less so.

I'll be honest, I was never a "meta-gamer". Anyone who knew my mortals knew I grew slow, focused on RP, and hadn't any clue. I'm much the same as a wizard. I know the parameters of weapons and such, but I code things that are fun and interesting more than I code things to be top-tier or the best. If you look at any of my content, you'll know that I like going deep and finding fun ways to approach situations.

Do I want folks using my stuff - of course! I code it for people to enjoy and experience. In both of my weapons cases, the theme behind them made sense; they'd be coded to be non-dulling. But I have plans for other items and weapons; if the theme doesn't make sense, they won't be. Take revamped Lizard King Trident or the Saurian claw unarmed enhancers. Or the staff from the Head saurian Cleric...and something else I'm working on right now (Thanarian Archbishop - Every cathedral has one...)

In any case, I want you to know I appreciate your feedback as it helps us with our broader conversations. I also wanted to give you my context as a creator of two non-dulling weapons.

Mirandus

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 09 Jul 2023 11:50

I totally agree with Tor!!!

Edit:
Change the ironstones. Make it possible to use those alongside other umbuements.
So if you want a non-break super imbued item for full time... it will cost you 2x intense stones.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 09 Jul 2023 21:36

Thalric wrote:
09 Jul 2023 11:50
I totally agree with Tor!!
Then we need to revisit held spell enhancers as well. They'll have to dull the same rate as any top tier weapons, if changes are to be made.

You've been very vocal over the years about how the "other side" plays. Are you prepared for true balance or is this a "some pigs are more equal than others" type of argument? No judgment either way, but balance has to be a constant.
Last edited by Rache on 10 Jul 2023 16:14, edited 2 times in total.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/